What's new
What's new

Fanuc 18i-TB on a Feeler lathe ... odd C axis units? Weird mode / parameter settings?

darron

Plastic
Guys,

Experimenting, my C axis is in units of 0.001 degrees. To get 90 degrees, I enter C90000. This is a Fanuc 18i-TB controller. Is there a factor someplace that affects that? Even the machine's manual seems to imply it's supposed to work normally (1 = 1 degree, not 0.001)... but then it's extremely slim on the examples and there's not a single non-zero 'C' value anywhere. (they're using H in all the non-zero positioning... which is 1 = 1 degree, but the machine required H90000, etc)

I've got a similar problem with G4 dwell. The manual has samples showing G4X1 which appears to be a dwell for 1 second. However, it's off by 1000 as well. G4X1000 is required to get a 1 second delay. U instead of X is the same factor.

... also, is there a (reversible) way to stop the Lathe from requiring the door to open and close between runs? The previous owner bypassed the door, and I have reach up and jiggle the latch to clear the guard condition.

I only run with the door open when doing a dry run well away from the chuck... single stepping first, then run normally, then put in the stock and set Z and close the door.

The window is too scarred up and stained to see through clearly. I plan on asking the tech to quote on replacing it, but that'll be a little while.

Last edited:
Ah, for clarification... the NC program has to have C90000 for 90 degrees, but the display shows 90.000 correctly. If I do C90, the display shows C0.090. So, the axis definition seem correct, it's just the NC parsing somehow.

Are you not putting a decimal after the value you input, C90. instead of C90? If you don't put a decimal, the control reads in the minimum increment, either .001 or .0001.

Thanks! I thought I found a suggestion of that last night. That seems like an incredibly error-prone way to interpret the syntax.

I may have I found a parameter to force it to always treat the code as inch or metric and never switch units entirely if the decimal is missing. I'll experiment with it...

My VMC is Siemens control, this is our first Fanuc.

About the G4 dwell, some machines want it with a P, so G4P1000 is 1 second dwell.
One of the problems with Fanuc is that every MTB implements their own things on them and things can get confusion going from one machine to another even though they both have Fanuc controls.

Back