What's new
What's new

featurecam on lathe

propman

Aluminum
A very stupid question but I don't use this software much at all and usually on my mill, but I've finally got my lathe running with new control and I'm trying to generate a simple grooving and threading part but I have to have those tools upside down in my turret so it requires CCW rotation. Featurecam will no allow or I keep getting warning messages when I try to simulate that it is the wrong rotation for the tool but I don't see this option in the tool selection. There must be an easy fix to this but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be great.
Also has anyone imported feature cam into a fagor control?

Thanks!!

FC selects the spindle rotation depending on the handedness of the tool. Make a new tool or edit your existing ones to match the actual tools you are using and it will select the proper rotation automatically.

YEP, this is the tab you are looking for:

OK I've been there and the NE & NW I've tried and get crash warnings of course and the SE & SW I get wrong direction when trying to use CCW as I would need to do with the tool upside down. I've also gone thru the tool library and using their configurations I'm assuming the pictures where you cannot see all the insert are upside down if you compare them to the ones pictured above where you can see the entire insert but I still get the wrong direction. I feel like and idiot, this has to be pretty standard

no, my turning tools cut CW so the machine thinks spindle turning to the right is CW and upside down from the same position will require CCW to cut. I also get an error programing a .130 groove cut with a .125 tool I just don't get it.

I am trying to help you, but, you have to trust me, and try what I say here (long time FeatureCAM user, I feel your pain).

In your orientation tab, define your tool properly (Right hand, SW).
In your Feed/Speed tab set rotation to CW (I know you think this is backwards. Sorry, but you are wrong).
Your warning should go away. And you should have an M3 in your spindle command line in your posted code.

Your error is coming from your having rotation set to CCW.

If you usually have an M4 in your code to cut with an "upside-down" tool, then your machine is backwards.
Or, my last 4 or 5 machines have been backwards :crazy:. Or, you are playing with a sub-spindle, or something I know nothing about.
If that is the case, you will need to call FeatureCAM post support, and have them edit your post so that CW = M4 & CCW = M3.

I am trying to help you, but, you have to trust me, and try what I say here (long time FeatureCAM user, I feel your pain).

In your orientation tab, define your tool properly (Right hand, SW).
In your Feed/Speed tab set rotation to CW (I know you think this is backwards. Sorry, but you are wrong).
Your warning should go away. And you should have an M3 in your spindle command line in your posted code.

Your error is coming from your having rotation set to CCW.

If you usually have an M4 in your code to cut with an "upside-down" tool, then your machine is backwards.
Or, my last 4 or 5 machines have been backwards :crazy:. Or, you are playing with a sub-spindle, or something I know nothing about.
If that is the case, you will need to call FeatureCAM post support, and have them edit your post so that CW = M4 & CCW = M3.

Well I apologize for not at least responding but had computer issues and could not get logged into this site and it took several days to get reset password. Anyway, there is nobody more appreciative of help than myself as I hardly use this software at all. As far as lathe configuration mine is no different, chuck to the left tailstock and turret to the right and I se CW as the chuck turning to the right looking at the chuck. Now as I know from experience with the tools in my turret, a CW rotation will work for turning but as the grooving and threading tools have to be in the turret upside down or with the inserts facing down it requires a CCW rotation to cut. I know this as I have used CW and end up with broken inserts and a ruined part. So do I have to just go with the CW rotation and then edit the code to get the correct rotation? Also why will the software not allow a .130 groove to be cut with a .125 insert? is there something in the attributes I can edit to allow that? Sorry for being an idiot but I am, I just don't use this software and have no experience with any type of this so I'm trying to learn and I can't go to FC as I have not paid my extortion ooops I mean maintenance fee and with their new rules it will cost me nearly as much as I paid for this software to get updated which isn't going to happen

The rest of the world defines CW and CCW from the MOTOR'S point of view. You need to join the rest of us. If you are looking at the chuck, CW means the top of the chuck moves left. Just like every manual lathe chuck. Your tool being up side down and cutting on the 'back' of the hole does not change the right / left hand description ... label the thread tool as if it were face up and cutting the 'front' of the bore.

Yep, like Phil and Red said, You are looking at the spindle rotation from the wrong end.
Hope that clears up all your rotation issues.

As for the grooving issue. I am betting it is a leave allowance issue in the roughing.
You only have .0025" per side. If FeatureCAM is trying to do a rough-pass, the default leave allowance is probably .005" (per side).
Which means your groove would have to be .1351" wide minimum.
If you are finishing only, I would have to see what you are trying to do......

Well I feel even more foolish now!! Thanks all for that info. As far as the groove, it is a relief groove between the thread and the start of the taper on the shaft so it is usually a straight plunge so I'm guessing I can change a setting to allow that to happen?
Again thanks everybody for all the help, you see I took the short bus to school:)

Well I feel even more foolish now!! Thanks all for that info. As far as the groove, it is a relief groove between the thread and the start of the taper on the shaft so it is usually a straight plunge so I'm guessing I can change a setting to allow that to happen?
Again thanks everybody for all the help, you see I took the short bus to school:)

What is checked in the strategy tab of your groove feature? If rough is checked, un-check it.

OK, back to the part that had me confused in the first place. The program has the turning operation done in a CW rotation just as the threading & grooving. I have a SW tool configuration for the turning so what tool do I need to have so that the program will allow CCW rotation, both operations have to have opposite rotations. I know I must be making this a lot more difficult than it is.

Back