What's new
What's new

Food for thought - EdgeCAM

cadaddict

Aluminum
Another well developed product to come out of the UK Pathtrace' EdgeCAM. Just to set the record straight we do NOT have any connections with these guys other than being a new user and would like to sing their praises for the support they have provided to get us cutting metal quickly !. Anyway.....makes a change from OneCNC discussions

IMHO they not only have a excellent CAM product but they also have a great solid modelling tool and it's certainly worth a look if you dont have one already. Not quite solidworks yet but certainly on it's way to......

h**p://www.pathtrace.com/default.asp?goUrl=/part_modeler/partmodeler.asp

What do the pro's in here think - good or bad ?

cadaddict

We have it and like it but we are frustrated with our unresponsive dealer. We need our compiled code generator revised and they won't return phone calls about it anymore. Lotsa turnover there too.

I had a demo from Edgecam about two years ago before I bought Mastercam. I liked MC better but edgecam certainly looked capable. They were about the same price.

They had just released their solid model program, it was almost a solidworks, just did not have some of he fancier bells and whistles. It had the same layout as far as the flow of the work. Do they have a history tree like solid works, is it parametric? I don't remember.

Mudflap:
We have it and like it but we are frustrated with our unresponsive dealer. We need our compiled code generator revised and they won't return phone calls about it anymore. Lotsa turnover there too.
I must admit we are very lucky here being in the UK and only 1hrs drive from the main support centre in Yorks. Im sure Pathtrace would not be happy to hear that mind - have you tried to speak with the guys at Reading or Wakefield ?

Nervis:
I had a demo from Edgecam about two years ago before I bought Mastercam. I liked MC better but edgecam certainly looked capable. They were about the same price.
Previously we used NCG (Toolmaker&Depocam)and we feel EdgeCAM has the upper hand. We did a similar thing before we bought EdgeCAM and looked at the history of Pathtrace and how far they had progressed in the last 2yrs...we were blown away.
Regards price this is always negotiable, we managed to get the sale-of-the-century when we bought two seats ;)

Do they have a history tree like solid works, is it parametric? I don't remember.
Yes, Part Modeler has a full history tree is down the LH side of the GUI. I would certainly recommend downloading their trial and seeing for yourself...

Comments please guys

Ron,
I don't think Delmia and Delcam are of the same. Delmia is from Dassault Systems - Catia. Although DSS has some partnership with Solidworks.

OT:
From my understanding Delmia, goes way beyond the realms of CNC programming, It involves entire manufacturing processes. You could build a car in there and use human models to install parts with tools. Insane.

Just to correct the misinformation posted above about EdgeCAM solid modeler.

1. It's not new.

2. It's A3DS Paralogix. Pathtrace purchased a source code license for Paralogix from A3DS.

3. EdgeCAM is superior to MasterCAM in many ways and is an excellent CADCAM package.

EdgeCAM solid modeler will have be me made hybrid. It has very little in the way of surfacing options. It's also very poor / slow at assembly modeling. For anyone who remembers SurfCAM Solids it was also A3DS Paralogix.

In an interesting turn of events the developer / owner of A3DS now works for CNC Software / MasterCAM. :D

Jon Banquer
12 years of telling the truth about CADCAM
Phoenix, Arizona

Just to correct the misinformation posted by jon

1. It's not new.
Sorry...I don't recall stating or implying it was new ?
2. It's A3DS Paralogix. Pathtrace purchased a source code license for Paralogix.
If you do a little more research you will find that Pathtrace actually bought A3DS and it is apprently still developed by 2-3 guys in the U.S (nothing to do with A3DS)
3. EdgeCAM is superior to MasterCAM in many ways and is an excellent CADCAM package.
I couldn't agree with you more on that :D

It has very little in the way of surfacing options
That is true (if you compare it to Rhino). There are a few nice surfacing options already, but I am told this will be given a lot of attention over the next 12-18 months making it hybrid. P.M was only ever intended to be a solid modeling tool(Edgecam has considerable surfacing options)to backup the solids machinist side of E.C. Now they have their own hands on it the future is bright.

In an interesting turn of events the developer / owner of A3DS now works for CNC Software / MasterCAM
Wait a minute...women and cars are interesting not who mr A3DS now works for - am I right? :D

Thanks for you input all the same.

cadaddict
An impartial programmer

"Sorry...I don't recall stating or implying it was new ?"

Was not referring to you.

"If you do a little more research you will find that Pathtrace actually bought A3DS and it is apprently still developed by 2-3 guys in the U.S (nothing to do with A3DS"

Not true as far as I know. All Pathtrace did was buy the right to develop the source code from A3DS.

"Wait a minute...women and cars are interesting not who mr A3DS now works for - am I right?"

If one owns or is considering buying MasterCAM to me it means MasterCAM is going to get a hell of a lot better at CAD very shortly.

Planit Holdings needs to focus on building on the source code they purchased from A3DS and integrating EdgeCAM into the Paralogix CAD UI or vise versa.

Jon Banquer
12 Years Of Telling The Truth About CADCAM
Phoenix, Arizona

Not true as far as I know. All Pathtrace did was buy the right to develop the source code from A3DS.
I think you will find I am correct, but the important point is that Part Modeler is a very capable SOLID modeler that compliments EdgeCAM very well. See link above for the demo app.

If one owns or is considering buying MasterCAM to me it means MasterCAM is going to get a hell of a lot better at CAD very shortly.
I have been hearing your preferred MC has been going up a against OneCNC a lot these days and LOSING !! :D . I reckon some serious developments are needed and quick..including bringing the Interface into 21st century....and lets not forget the hopeless simulator that X has....

People - take a look at the Pathtrace range it's almost certain to be the best in its 'class'. Version 11 is due to be released in 3weeks and is promised to be even better !! :eek:

Cadaddict

"I think you will find I am correct"

If you are correct please provide the proof.

"I have been hearing your preferred MC has been going up a against OneCNC a lot these days and LOSING !! "

MasterCAM X is the better overall product by far to OneCNC XR2 and EdgeCAM is a better overall product to MasterCAM X at the moment.

"and lets not forget the hopeless simulator that X has...."

Agree. It does suck and after all these years that is totally unacceptable.

"People - take a look at the Pathtrace range it's almost certain to be the best in its 'class'. Version 11 is due to be released in 3weeks and is promised to be even better !!"

EdgeCAM needs to integrate the Paralogix solid modeler so that it is no longer a stand alone product. It also means that EdgeCAM needs to make the Parlogix solid modeler hybrid by adding badly needed surfacing functionality.

BTW, EdgeCAM marketing in Phoenix, Arizona is non-existent. MasterCAM while not the dominant player here has quite a few seats installed especially in older aerospace shops.

Jon Banquer
12 Years Of Telling The Truth About CAD/CAM
Phoenix, Arizona

If you are correct please provide the proof.
I will come back to this early next week...just for the record ;)

EdgeCAM needs to integrate the Paralogix solid modeler so that it is no longer a stand alone product. It also means that EdgeCAM needs to make the Parlogix solid modeler hybrid by adding badly needed surfacing functionality.
EdgeCAM is not just a CAM product, it does in fact have some nice tools for geometry creation/dimensioning/surfaces & primitives. When Part Modeler eventually becomes hybrid, Edgecam users will the choice of a surface modeler & CAM or a parametric hybrid modeler & CAM.

BTW, EdgeCAM marketing in Phoenix, Arizona is non-existent. MasterCAM while not the dominant player here has quite a few seats installed especially in older aerospace shops.
Not my corner to fight this time...but a very valid point and one that Pathtrace will need to address and take up with their resellers if they want more market share.

Im curious to hear any comments on P.M from people already using a market leading modeling system...

Cheers,
cadaddict

Let me jump in here
Cadaddict Works for himself,and doe's employ people aswell,he as a nice workshop with descent machine tools and use to use UG before switching to Pathtrace,How do i know? Visited many time's
oh and by the way he knows what he wants
best regards
peter

We have edge cam and love it. Our reps for it are very good and always helpful and only about 20 min away if we need them to stop in. It took awhile to pick up the software,but once i got it down i love it!!!!

Back