What's new
What's new

Free Cad

Is any one using free cad at a commercial level in there work shop

librecad i have used to calculate geometry coordinates of intersecting arcs lines at angles, tangent points etc. 2D cad but it works. there are youtube videos on it
freecad is for hobby 3D modeling. i have drawn stuff like new tool designs. its not that developed for creating dimensioned drawings. that is its being improved often more than once a year but since it volunteers that do it, it is not as sophisticated as professional cad programs. most professional shops wouldnt be using free software. they would buy software better at creating faster models and drawings

Ive been playing around with it at home, its pretty powerful for an open source modelling software. Thought making threads is a bit involved, im not sire wht solid works is like for threads

I've been using FreeCAD a lot over the past year or so. I started using it for designs for my 3D printer. It seems to do everything I need, except for the aforementioned issue of making threads. I've come up with a few unorthodox ways of doing this including downloading STEP files from McMaster Carr for their nuts and bolts. Another way is to model the reverse thread in Fusion and export/import to FreeCAD and do a boolean operation.

My prefered way, to keep it parametric, is to make a sketch of the thread profile and sweep it around a helix, but this can be problematic due to (from what I've read) FreeCAD's helix which is actually an approximation and doesn't scale correctly.

Nonetheless, I've been able to make some pretty elaborate things with FreeCAD. This is probably one of the most complex things I've done; a Remington 700 rifle receiver:

W7KWTQB2hFYFM3uoP7TLoCjr52bBuR43G3zGsLv9JQWNEcqDZmGolQiKgZRfPpi_HNOKFTKk1LcdEI6mKDzoTVlXly4nEy65DQoZwo0fMkb8FTr4QITUudLZimuJvHdHMFJu8tQJQXI5drTbmRnwdTYCR90trgPrjwePvlZiHKflVGSCRcQ5Nl6iK6Dls_ULyE0SzuSeThO20StOSieCK9O6aQ0SNHsyLUI4VScvtMCb5_H_id-p3G7NYa6yQjVC58lSceLM8Buo6lOlrKQp1XF1zXlw6vk4t1r5Wg6V-pcvtbFqqqDDKOn76XZqtpIllIUqrk0zdSWCOW6XhXw9iAaTDK43A8kWEDSYnJ4IqjBbnqBxmyMvNK9j5zEFtdgQ3Q3lCmMPuw_Uk2UZmZoPq6pXOkPwjnm_wBcYHeKZWrL6ZKWcTj7WMkX3o6Gw6YaBzsIfbaHvHpcNJd5wHGTTagAo4MJ552HE0aPZ-tV9j8Z-hnIJ2Qvi-hlR7xv74xELPvWxDmZGOjawDECRe3QXF4enQRyCQuoO3AaS6J8QbqyXZK4CAVupVT8DIIsVCMeE3bNortnSrbDIfwe3fdoqeUXARrxuEtT7CDU-C6MCdayA-lzgwn-k-VAVjI5vrMUOuFtlDphc6Sn_8B_-8__44aZaLQ=w1024

Is any one using free cad at a commercial level in there work shop
Hi Kazam,
yes i do use Free-Cad for my company on a professional level, as cad engineer, not real commercial, cause we only design,develop and
use it as help to invent,we don't sell anything butt knowledge, so what's in the question ?

jack.

I live in the US. I have used my child's college status to download an educational version of AutoCAD for use at home. However, I recently downloaded a drawing from a bathtub manufacturer. The drawing was stamped with "student SolidWorks." Pretty pathetic for a business not to remove evidence of their sins. Perhaps this only occurs on the budget-price range. Draftsight is free from Dassault I think.

librecad i have used to calculate geometry coordinates of intersecting arcs lines at angles, tangent points etc. 2D cad but it works. there are youtube videos on it

Ive been playing around with it at home, its pretty powerful for an open source modelling software. Thought making threads is a bit involved, im not sire wht solid works is like for threads

What do you mean by "making threads is a bid involved " ??
if yo mean threads for nut and bolts ?? is easy as in all other programs !!
or do you mean something else ??

jack.

Back