What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 is 50% off today, act now!

reidhardy

Plastic
Not getting into a discussion on whether Fusion 360 is good or not, because we all know it is perfect for 90% of 3 axis machine shop work. Especially on a Haas. Just letting people know the deal is going on.

Thats because fusion is only 50% there as workable cam.

And Autodesk publicly announces that they have no intention of becoming I.T.A.R. compliant with cloud servers. If that's the case then most general NDA's will be violated. I sent out an email at the end of last year to all my vendors stating any supplier using non I.T.A.R. cloud compliant software will be removed from the approved vendor list and anyone caught using non compliant cloudware will be in violation of our NDA.

Thats getting very common now.

And Autodesk publicly announces that they have no intention of becoming I.T.A.R. compliant with cloud servers. If that's the case then most general NDA's will be violated. I sent out an email at the end of last year to all my vendors stating any supplier using non I.T.A.R. cloud compliant software will be removed from the approved vendor list and anyone caught using non compliant cloudware will be in violation of our NDA.

Not sure why shops would even trust a cloud based system. Now its worth getting the Fusion360 sub just for HSMworks plugin for Solidworks. Sucks I bought my subscription last year for 1500 for 3 years.

Just be sure:

If I buy the 360 subscription now, I can download the HSM plugin for SW with full functionality, right?

What happens to the plugin if the subscription runs out? Can I still work with the old files? Probably not?

please don't take this as if I'm defending AD, but I'll bet that good part of those ITAR compliant vendors have probably lesser security (both physical and software) at their facility IT infrastructure than that of a typical server farm

people not involved in IT usually think that anyone can walk up to a rack in some server farm, plug in a USB and type in few commands to view/copy/delete whatever, when in fact all data is encrypted and secured well enough for it to be much cheaper to get the same data via social hacking directly from that supposed ITAR compliant vendor than to copy if off of a server somewhere and then try to decrypt it

I'd speculate that AD might even be lobbying for changes in said rules that would allow for customer data be stored in a sufficiently secure cloud, and when the current old generation retires, the people that will replace them will be much more open to such change

Not getting into a discussion on whether Fusion 360 is good or not, because we all know it is perfect for 90% of 3 axis machine shop work. Especially on a Haas. Just letting people know the deal is going on.

Hurry ! HURRY !

Step Right Up !

Get all the SPAM, and get it right NOW !

Qty (7) whole post's.....

... when the current old generation retires, the people that will replace them will be much more open to such change
Yes, the current old generation that remembers mainframes and terminals and has actual experience with "the Cloud" and was overjoyed when microcomputers made it possible to get off the fucking cloud and control their own data, yeah, when the people who have actual experience with this shit die off, then Autodick et al can run that scam past the world again.

Yes, the current old generation that remembers mainframes and terminals and has actual experience with "the Cloud" and was overjoyed when microcomputers made it possible to get off the fucking cloud and control their own data, yeah, when the people who have actual experience with this shit die off, then Autodick et al can run that scam past the world again.

explain to me please how this current "cloud" software has anything common with the mainframe era?

because I clearly don't understand what it has to do with mainframe era, at all...

Fusion doesn't run in terminal mode, it is fully installed on your computer, and stores most if not all the files you had worked on locally also, apart from that, you can even export and save locally or anywhere else the design together with the rest of the stuff it needs also, tool libraries can be exported and stored on your own drives, so it is NOTHING at all like the terminal/mainframe era, if you lose connection - it means you data is not being backed up on to the cloud, and you have limited time till the local version of the licence runs out, was it 2 weeks before it needed to refresh? I can't recall

I've explained some things regarding how it handles online things in other threads, and I personally would like more control over how it does what in that area, but beggars can't be choosers, you want more control - spend the money on standalone software

but arguing how this "cloud" is bad is just dumb, it is VERY powerful stuff for small users which otherwise would have nothing except huge debt if they wanted to start making parts using CAD/CAM packages

and if this still doesn't convince you of its usefulness, then think of the competition aspect, if everyone had the usual standalone software that you pay a lot in maintenance fees which basically do nothing for you, then if this new thing starts to take over the market - then it is also good for you - standalone software user, also, because may give an incentive for your software developer to actually do something and develop for the maintenance you're paying to them

again - I'm not defending AD, and I'm in no way affiliated with them other than using Fusion couple times a week maybe for hobby stuff, I'm discussing the technology involved

Just be sure:

If I buy the 360 subscription now, I can download the HSM plugin for SW with full functionality, right?

What happens to the plugin if the subscription runs out? Can I still work with the old files? Probably not?

Solidworks part of the file works just fine but the cam programming info is gone. Goes back once the HSMworks plugin is active again.

Just be sure:

Solidworks part of the file works just fine but the cam programming info is gone. Goes back once the HSMworks plugin is active again.

Just be sure:

That, plus an EAA copy of SW would be a very budget friendly option.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'll bet that good part of those ITAR compliant vendors have probably lesser security (both physical and software) at their facility IT infrastructure than that of a typical server farm

I'd speculate that AD might even be lobbying for changes in said rules that would allow for customer data be stored in a sufficiently secure cloud, and when the current old generation retires, the people that will replace them will be much more open to such change

What do you think would be cheaper for AD to do, change ITAR regulations or allow local file saves?
Forcing cloud uploading must have a purpose for them. Perhaps data farming during this beta process of Fusion?

If you are ITAR, security is part of the process, that includes data. Saying that storing files on cloud servers would be more secure, I doubt it. Look at some of the biggest hacks to date, Equifax, Marriot, LinkedIn, Yahoo, Adobe...you'd think these companies would have had solid security, but data breaches still occurred.

They don't need to change the ITAR regulations, they need to change perception of how secure their storage is, I just did a quick google search regarding ITAR data protection, here is snippet of it:
After nearly four years of deliberation, the U.S. Department of State issued a final ruling modernizing and unifying the role of end-to-end encryption in securing sensitive data and enabling digital supply chain workflows. Now, organizations can store and share ITAR technical data in cloud environments if it is protected from access by foreign entities with end-to-end encryption. As a result, firms in manufacturing, aerospace and defense, telecommunications, defense contracting, or any other industry that handles ITAR technical data should incorporate the following data protection capabilities into their compliance programs:

End-to-End Encryption: Encrypt email and files containing ITAR technical data within the client to prevent access by foreign cloud servers or personnel, effectively resolving geolocation and personnel permissions concerns.
Access Controls: Set expiration and disable forwarding for additional controls that prevent unauthorized foreign access. Revoke access to reduce the risk of foreign access in event of a data breach and watermark files containing ITAR technical data to deter file-based leaks.
Persistent Protection: Maintain control of attachments to prevent foreign access wherever they’re shared, ensuring ITAR compliance beyond the initial email.
Data Loss Prevention: Detect ITAR technical data in email and files and automatically enforce encryption and access controls.
Granular Audit: View when and where ITAR data has been accessed as it’s shared throughout the supply chain, and adapt controls for evolving collaboration and access requirements.
Key Management Capabilities: Host your own keys so that only your authorized US personnel can access the keys protecting ITAR technical data for ultimate control.

so sending the information over Internet is not prohibited, you need to use secure connections and/or encrypt the content, control access rights and monitor said access

I'm too lazy now to search what level of encryption they require, but it wouldn't be too difficult to incorporate that into the Fusion client if they wanted to, I can tell you that much, on top of it, they most likely already use secured connections while sending your hobby files to the cloud storage, and most definitely the data at that end is encrypted as well, it is standard for cloud storage, that recent licencing change they did - tie the licence to a particular user - here is your data access control measure and a monitoring measure as well.

So, in essence, it most likely is quite close to being ITAR compliant already, the problem is public perception of cloud technology, I bet there are more hacks than you mentioned, some known, some not so much, but that is all a learning curve, these things are complex, lots of people involved in development, and remember that some of those big companies were specifically asked to create back doors so law enforcement could eavesdrop on them - these back doors are those vulnerabilities that lead to hacks, and some of those hacks are there just to show that those back doors (created intentionally or not) are there.

So as I said - once the public perception of this technology will change, and the technology itself evolves, it will be a matter of adding an amendment with necessary things to the ITAR rules to allow to store CAD/CAM data in cloud storage.

I can tell you that allegedly US government 15 years ago used VPN connections to send secure information over the Internet, and I'd imagine more than a couple ITAR compliant companies are backing up their data to off site locations via Internet - which essentially is cloud storage, just need to use the right tools to do this.

And as I said - social hacking more often is much cheaper than to hijack this encrypted data and to decrypt it, you are only as secure as the weakest link in this whole system, and I'm very much convinced that properly secured cloud storage is not the weakest one in it.

oh, and by the way, there is an option in Fusion to work off-line (max was 2 weeks as I recall), so in theory, you might create/upload your design files while in this off-line mode, and once you're done with them, export them to your local hard drive using Fusion format (stores all model and CAM data), delete it from Fusion, and it just might be that the deleted versions would never be uploaded to the AD cloud once you go on-line mode again, if you're paranoid - find where Fusion is keeping old versions and shred those files on your hard drive - not just delete, but shred, there are tools for that, they'll overwrite physical space used by said files with garbage data (not sure how it works with ssd nvme though...)

Not sure I get all the Fusion hate.

Got a problem with Autodesk?, fine don’t use their product, but bringing it up in every single Fusion thread just makes you seem like wacko.

Many of the people bitching about it probably never even tried it. I know there are several that have tried it and posted up their reasons why it didn’t work out.. that’s fine, they are also the people that aren’t constantly dumping on it.

I use it and think it’s very useful, I won’t say that I’m not a bit nervous that it will change in some manner that I can’t afford it anymore , but meanwhile it’s pretty awesome.
I would definitely like something I could buy outright, but it either doesn’t exist, or I can’t afford it.

Save your energy for something that matters, the haters aren’t using it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

explain to me please how this current "cloud" software has anything common with the mainframe era?

because I clearly don't understand what it has to do with mainframe era, at all...

Fusion doesn't run in terminal mode, it is fully installed on your computer, and stores most if not all the files you had worked on locally also, apart from that, you can even export and save locally or anywhere else the design together with the rest of the stuff it needs also, tool libraries can be exported and stored on your own drives, so it is NOTHING at all like the terminal/mainframe era, if you lose connection - it means you data is not being backed up on to the cloud, and you have limited time till the local version of the licence runs out, was it 2 weeks before it needed to refresh? I can't recall

I've explained some things regarding how it handles online things in other threads, and I personally would like more control over how it does what in that area, but beggars can't be choosers, you want more control - spend the money on standalone software

but arguing how this "cloud" is bad is just dumb, it is VERY powerful stuff for small users which otherwise would have nothing except huge debt if they wanted to start making parts using CAD/CAM packages

and if this still doesn't convince you of its usefulness, then think of the competition aspect, if everyone had the usual standalone software that you pay a lot in maintenance fees which basically do nothing for you, then if this new thing starts to take over the market - then it is also good for you - standalone software user, also, because may give an incentive for your software developer to actually do something and develop for the maintenance you're paying to them

again - I'm not defending AD, and I'm in no way affiliated with them other than using Fusion couple times a week maybe for hobby stuff, I'm discussing the technology involved

You must be relatively young. You have certainly drank the Kool Aid. The Cloud is dangerous and should be avoided at all costs for the simple reason that all data not under your direct control must be considered public. It is no longer yours. There is no such thing as a secure cloud. If you believe otherwise, I have a deal on a bridge I want to sell. Data security is an individual responsibility and can never be securely off loaded as a service regardless of the advertised cloud hype.

Here is a little history.During the mainframe era, mainframes were data rich and IPS (Instructions Per Second) poor. All data was centrally stored and controlled by a small number of IT staff, not the owner of the actual data. The upside was central control and maintenance was inexpensive because the staff count was low and everything was centralized. When the PC entered the fray, they were IPS rich and data poor, but sold as infinitely less expensive and your data was yours and under your control, but of course we know now that is not the complete story. Nobody mentioned that every platform must be managed both in hardware and software, including data protection and configuration control. The argument today is exactly the same as then. The gotcha is security. If you don't have it, it is no longer yours. Platform maintenance can never be securely outsourced, even if the data is on paper.

If you think the cloud is dangerous, do you use a bank? Do you have a couple hundred grand in a 401k? Do you think Fidelity has a box full of dollar bills with your name on it? It’s all in some digital form that we have to hope can actually be accessed when we need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You must be relatively young. You have certainly drank the Kool Aid. The Cloud is dangerous and should be avoided at all costs for the simple reason that all data not under your direct control must be considered public. It is no longer yours. There is no such thing as a secure cloud. If you believe otherwise, I have a deal on a bridge I want to sell. Data security is an individual responsibility and can never be securely off loaded as a service regardless of the advertised cloud hype.

Here is a little history.During the mainframe era, mainframes were data rich and IPS (Instructions Per Second) poor. All data was centrally stored and controlled by a small number of IT staff, not the owner of the actual data. The upside was central control and maintenance was inexpensive because the staff count was low and everything was centralized. When the PC entered the fray, they were IPS rich and data poor, but sold as infinitely less expensive and your data was yours and under your control, but of course we know now that is not the complete story. Nobody mentioned that every platform must be managed both in hardware and software, including data protection and configuration control. The argument today is exactly the same as then. The gotcha is security. If you don't have it, it is no longer yours. Platform maintenance can never be securely outsourced, even if the data is on paper.

you're not discussing technology but attacking me personally trying to diminish my reasoning by suggesting I'm young or under influence, neither is true, while I'm younger than the average long time member here, I'm not so young as to not understand what I'm talking about here

I've worked in private sector IT, including banking, and in governmental sector also, and I can assure you - even if these organizations held all their data on some completely disconnected from Internet servers (which is NOT the case at all) - you can still buy people that have direct access to it, so I'm arguing that physical security is becoming the weak link, not the encrypted data stored somewhere in server farms, it used to be the other way around, but everything, apart from people, is improving

so if you employ more than a very few trusted people, you already are under risk of data theft even if you hold your servers at your site, and having a dedicated and competent IT security (and physical of course) is very expensive for small sized shops, and even then you have constantly audit your systems to keep everyone in check, which is another expense on top of that, and if can afford all that, and the very trusty employees, you wouldn't even be the target audience for this type of software anyway

of course there are risks with cloud storage, but it has big potential for improvement, unlike some other parts of this data handling "chain"

Back