Fusion 360 is 50% off today, act now! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If end to end encryption is ok for ITAR but F360 is not ITAR approved, I guess we can only assume they are not using end to end encryption? What else would be holding it back?

2. Likes snowshooze liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    I've worked in private sector IT, including banking, and in governmental sector also, and I can assure you - even if these organizations held all their data on some completely disconnected from Internet servers (which is NOT the case at all) - you can still buy people that have direct access to it, so I'm arguing that physical security is becoming the weak link, not the encrypted data stored somewhere in server farms, ...
    "Security" is a minor factor, compared to being totally at the mercy of proven assholes such as Autodicks. Going to the clod this way is essentially the same as signing over the title to your house to Mitt Romney and hoping he won't sell it out from under you.
    Last edited by EmanuelGoldstein; 07-06-2020 at 02:42 AM.

4. Likes as9100d, snowshooze liked this post
    Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    If end to end encryption is ok for ITAR but F360 is not ITAR approved, I guess we can only assume they are not using end to end encryption? What else would be holding it back?
    AD only knows...

I'd guess the encryption is already there, just might not be up to ITAR standards, apart from inability for user admins to disable certain features - like local file export, which would interfere with data security policies (which could be worked around at OS level, but still), and it doesn't need to be, since AD has products that work for that sector and I get the impression that F360 is not made to compete in that market, so the non-compliance might be intentional to separate the products

I think of F360 just as stepping stone for starters, I most definitely wouldn't base a business model around it, and AD is simply luring people in with it with high likelihood that they'll stay with them in the future, and if things go south and the business falls apart, well, at least you don't instantly lose 10-20k you spent on a "real" cad/cam package, since those licences can't be sold

6. Likes snowshooze liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not really. They could have end to end encryption. The way I read it is the company needs to have control of the encryption keys as well and currently ADSK holds the keys.

8. Likes as9100d, snowshooze liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What do you think would be cheaper for AD to do, change ITAR regulations or allow local file saves?
    Forcing cloud uploading must have a purpose for them. Perhaps data farming during this beta process of Fusion?
    It takes a lot of sample data to train neural networks. How else does a company get huge numbers of people to willingly submit their sensitive engineering data?

10. Likes mhajicek, snowshooze liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    you're not discussing technology but attacking me personally trying to diminish my reasoning by suggesting I'm young or under influence, neither is true, while I'm younger than the average long time member here, I'm not so young as to not understand what I'm talking about here

I've worked in private sector IT, including banking, and in governmental sector also, and I can assure you - even if these organizations held all their data on some completely disconnected from Internet servers (which is NOT the case at all) - you can still buy people that have direct access to it, so I'm arguing that physical security is becoming the weak link, not the encrypted data stored somewhere in server farms, it used to be the other way around, but everything, apart from people, is improving

so if you employ more than a very few trusted people, you already are under risk of data theft even if you hold your servers at your site, and having a dedicated and competent IT security (and physical of course) is very expensive for small sized shops, and even then you have constantly audit your systems to keep everyone in check, which is another expense on top of that, and if can afford all that, and the very trusty employees, you wouldn't even be the target audience for this type of software anyway

of course there are risks with cloud storage, but it has big potential for improvement, unlike some other parts of this data handling "chain"
    It's not about buying someone with access it's about having access to the chain of custody for the data.

Good luck calling Autodesk and getting them to release logs of who accessed your files from where wand when and what files... That's one of the biggest issues.

I can hop on to my server and pull tons of logs... I can see the entire path the user took to get to the files from the VPN all the way to the file server and know all of the details of need to provide to the DOD or law enforcement about the data breach, hack, espionage, whatever and let them do their thing.

Cloud based cad/cam is not itar legal and is not nist800-171 legal not to mention violates almost every iron clad NDA that top level vendors and suppliers use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

12. Likes snowshooze liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fusion 360 security whitepaper that might be helpful:

http://help.autodesk.com.s3.amazonaw...20Security.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I m sorry but I did purchase my seat and gave it a month in attempting to transition from another software. This is to say that I was in Fusion 360 training for a month, and gave up.
    The power of Fusion 360 is obvious to me, but the entire platform is a moving target.
    I watched many youtubes such as Lars, and there are many things I can do, but I can't get it to work for me in a real sense.
    I had to revert to my previous software in self-defense.
    Last edited by snowshooze; 09-14-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would hope only those I choose could access my work.
    Last edited by snowshooze; 09-14-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not to mention violates almost every iron clad NDA that top level vendors and suppliers use.
    I've been saying this since they released Fusion. This violates every NDA I have ever read, Users are directly giving data to a 3rd party. I started a thread on the Forums on the AD website a few months back explaining this and after a few people started questioning it AD pulled the thread. Hmmmm, What are they hiding???

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I've been saying this since they released Fusion. This violates every NDA I have ever read, Users are directly giving data to a 3rd party. I started a thread on the Forums on the AD website a few months back explaining this and after a few people started questioning it AD pulled the thread. Hmmmm, What are they hiding???
    To me...it is a structured decision to go the way they have. It cannot be anything different.
    Otherwise, with all the releases they've had, they'd have implemented local saves and non-interweb dependence as an option.
    But it is clear that they won't do it.
    Their business model, is cloud...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm working on getting Fusion 360 via the educator access (wife is a teacher). Hopefully it's not some gimped version.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Their business model, is cloud...
    Their business model is "grab you by the short hairs".

And then start pulling 'em out, one by one...