What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 B axis rotation

AJ H

Hot Rolled
So I'm new to 5 axis machining and everything I know about it is self (youtube) taught. We installed a TR160 in our 2012 VF2. In order for ATC clearance and tool probe access I have the trunnion shifted towards the operator instead of centered on the table.

I'm working on a part that is roughly 8" diameter. In my mind this isn't an issue because I should be able to rotate the B axis in segments and perform all machining operations in the Y+. A lot of the work I want to do is at A0.0 I just want to rotate B to reach the rest of the part.

In my setup I chose "Haas with A/B axis" as my machine. I used the tool orientation in the toolpath to choose where I wanted the part pointed, and then I posted it using "HAAS Trunnion (pre NGC)"

However when I post it the toolpaths are at "A0 B0". The tool paths where I move the Z move correctly but the ones where Z is perpendicular to A0 and I just want to spin B don't move.

Am I missing something?

Do you have your post correctly setup for 5axis? When I started I had to actually modify the post to allow it to do multi-axis moves.

How to set up a 4/5 axis machine configuration - Autodesk Community

Thank you for the reply, that got me in the right direction. I made some changes to the post (I wanted C not B) but it didn't solve my problem. Which might be entirely my fault. I really don't know anything about Javascript or posts.

I sent my post to Autodesk after waiting an entire day for someone to call me (You have to schedule a phone call), and have got nothing but crickets in return. That was 3/12

I've been very supportive of Autodesk in the past but waiting this long for someone to assist me is changing that rapidly.

Thank you for the reply, that got me in the right direction. I made some changes to the post (I wanted C not B) but it didn't solve my problem. Which might be entirely my fault. I really don't know anything about Javascript or posts.

I sent my post to Autodesk after waiting an entire day for someone to call me (You have to schedule a phone call), and have got nothing but crickets in return. That was 3/12

I've been very supportive of Autodesk in the past but waiting this long for someone to assist me is changing that rapidly.

Skip that and go to the Post processor forum - HSM Post Processor Forum - Autodesk Community

There are some good help files online like the one laastrada posted. On the Post forum there a couple real sharp moderators who can fix your problem overnight. With their help I got 2 difficult posts working perfectly in a couple weeks of part time work on my part. Post a clear question with sample code in the evening and have an answer waiting in the morning, usually code you can copy and paste into your post.
First download and read the instruction manual, then install the post editor and get that figured out, then ask your question on that forum. This is the best post help I've had so far with CAM.

Skip that and go to the Post processor forum - HSM Post Processor Forum - Autodesk Community

There are some good help files online like the one laastrada posted. On the Post forum there a couple real sharp moderators who can fix your problem overnight. With their help I got 2 difficult posts working perfectly in a couple weeks of part time work on my part. Post a clear question with sample code in the evening and have an answer waiting in the morning, usually code you can copy and paste into your post.
First download and read the instruction manual, then install the post editor and get that figured out, then ask your question on that forum. This is the best post help I've had so far with CAM.

I posted the same question there with my post linked, no solution yet. But you're right I have had good quick help there in the past.

I have the post editor and I downloaded the 219 page post training guide. It makes my eyes glaze over but I'm working my way through it.

Thank You

I have the post editor and I downloaded the 219 page post training guide. It makes my eyes glaze over but I'm working my way through it.

Thank You

I have been there before and tried the guide. If you haven't already, download and use Visual Studio Code. It's really helpful to streamline things.

Visual Studio Code - Code Editing. Redefined

Here are some videos that may be helpful:

Good Luck, it can be frustrating, but it's a good skill to learn.

Back