What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 free or subscription?

rbregn

Aluminum
So I am looking at using Fusion 360. I know you can use it for free, but there is also a yearly subscription. Is it worth the subscription? I don't mind paying for something. But I want it to be worth it. So I guess I am asking is it worth a yearly subscription?

I say yes! What you get for the cost is amazing! I've been using it more and more and it's been working out really good for me. My main software is Solidworks with Solidcam to program and Fusion is drawing me over more and more. What I love is how you can pick up on a project on any computer without worrying about having all the files missing. They also give you HSMWorks for Solidworks too for free when you subscribe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I also say yes. I only use it for 2D profiling-but it’s really fast from sketching to making chips.
I’m currently using the free version, but would happily pay the $495(it was 1/2 price like last week, but that’s over)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I am looking at using Fusion 360. I know you can use it for free, but there is also a yearly subscription. Is it worth the subscription? I don't mind paying for something. But I want it to be worth it. So I guess I am asking is it worth a yearly subscription?

Fusion is not free, it is only free in certain circumstances.

According to their terms, copied and pasted below:
Fusion 360 is free for startups generating less than $100K per year in total revenue or wholly non-commercial hobbyist users. Plus students of course.

If you are not a hobbyist, nor a startup making less than 100K/year, then you should already be paying for it. If you do qualify as a hobbyist or startup, you may still want to subscribe as a gesture of gratitude or to buy cloud credits for other functions.

So me starting a new shop would qualify. I already know that. I was wondering if there was additional perks for subscribing and if people thought it was worth it. Like I said, I don't mind paying for something, but I am not in the habit of giving my money away.I would like to test drive it and kick the tires first.

As others have stated, Fusion 360 is free for your current circumstances. The only reason to 'pay' is to get access to the Manufacturing Extension. The Extension contains some new technology and ported over functionality from other Autodesk CAM products such as Featurecam and Powermill; namely, more advanced probing routines, a hole wizard, steep-and-shallow operation, and enhanced additive manufacturing.

Fred

I gave fusion a try, and it just didn’t fit well with my preferences. Almost, but not quite. If I had no other options I would have sucked it up and made it work.

On the other hand, I started using inventor with HSM, and I love it. The UI is a lot closer to Solidworks, and it’s 10 times more customizable. They have student deals as well.

I gave fusion a try, and it just didn’t fit well with my preferences. Almost, but not quite. If I had no other options I would have sucked it up and made it work.

On the other hand, I started using inventor with HSM, and I love it. The UI is a lot closer to Solidworks, and it’s 10 times more customizable. They have student deals as well.

I really like inventor hsm after I got used to the quirks. I think the adaptive was (been out of it a few years) better than MCX, but sometimes you would beat your head against a wall getting it to do stuff that I could easily do with MCX. Unfortunately, I think all acad stuff is now sub-based....

I use Inventor everyday and absolutely love it hands down my favorite. So Fusion at home in my shop throws some curves because things are a little different than I'm use to all day long at work.

I use Inventor everyday and absolutely love it hands down my favorite. So Fusion at home in my shop throws some curves because things are a little different than I'm use to all day long at work.

I was pleasantly surprised when moving the little work I did in fusion, which was mostly tooling, to inventor, and it transferred flawlessly. Not a huge deal, but that was a few hours of work I didn’t need to repeat.

Yes they will work side by side flawlessly. i just like Inventor more because it has the professional feel to it. I think the platform is completely the same except for the cloud base you don't have to use on Inventor.

I use Fusion 360 for my mill and plasma table. I like it for both. The only thing I would caution you on is checking to see if they have a good post for your machines. My old Milltronics has a post available, but it doesn't support rigid tapping. I suspect more expensive programs are better in that regard.

I use Fusion 360 for my mill and plasma table. I like it for both. The only thing I would caution you on is checking to see if they have a good post for your machines. My old Milltronics has a post available, but it doesn't support rigid tapping. I suspect more expensive programs are better in that regard.

You should be able to contact Autodesk support and they will fix that.

There's a pretty good reason to pay for the subscription, and that's HSMWorks. It's real 3-axis CAM for a real CAD application, Solidworks. Autodesk acquired HSM some years back and only just this year integrated it into their own CAD application, Inventor. The Solidworks add-in has been kicking around without being discontinued, thankfully.

You can futz around with Fusion 360 while you get real work done with Solidworks, and have decent CAM all for $500. A week or so ago, Autodesk discounted it 50% as a birthday present to themselves. I got it for 30% off (forever!) by being a subscriber a year ago prior to a rebranding.

I'm pretty sure I didn't answer your question.

Back