What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 full 4th axis?

HSM_CHIEF

Aluminum
Does anyone know when fusion will be able to handle full 4th axis toolpaths?? Not just wrapping around a cylinder or 4th axis positioning. I’m talking a full 4th axis countour around any geometry I want not just something round... if anyone knows anything about any future updates let me know. Thanks everyone!

But I know what AD people told me at a recent trade show. Fusion 360, in their description, is there only to hook you on AD products. It will never do everything for everyone. When it won't do what you need they hope you'll break out the wallet and go for one of AD's more advanced products.

Man that's good FUD right there.

Man that's good FUD right there.

I don't think it's entirely misguided, just being applied a bit out of context. In other words, I don't think the cutoff point will be 4th axis surfacing toolpaths, or even CAM related.

Rather, I doubt enterprise level PDM is really on the roadmap, or the ability to realistically design and manufacture a commercial aircraft. None of these things are on the Solidworks roadmap, either.. The addressable market is still quite large regardless.

"Man that's good FUD right there"

I had to laugh when I read this. Sitting here thinking of all the people who bought extra permanent seats to stock up for future needs before they were gone. I think of the promises that perpetual will be here for as long as you like it. Then I think of the tongue in cheek promise as costs shoot up through the roof as incentive to leave perpetual. I also consider Anagnosts repeated claims to stock holding companies that subs are the way of the future for Autodesk and perpetual will end. His words not mine. The CAD Insider - What Are We…Bastards? takes you to an article you should read. Basically permanent seat customers who built Autodesk are now not welcome anymore. The only ones who count are rental slaves. I don't think they mean to use Fusion360 to drive you to other products as much as they intend to use Fusion360 to end current products when it becomes robust enough to do so. Inventor and HSM will be logical candidates for this as Anagnost has stated the only way forward for Autodesk is subscription and this means perpetual has to be eliminated in a legal way. You no longer have to support a program you have phased out and I can easily believe there will be a day when Inventor and HSM users will be told their programs will end but we have this shiny new program you can rent from us as your consolation prize.

Blog – cad nauseam will take you to a blog that stays on top of Autodesk perfidity.

My last day as a customer for Autodesk anything was 12-15-17 when my yearly renewal for Inventor Pro HSM was due. My decision was that a company that is behaving this way can't be trusted to honor what they say they will do. R&D is being cut, 1500 more employees slashed just before Christmas and numerous programs are being axed. Cadnauseam has the growing list. They now have 10 loss quarters IN A ROW and you can bet quality meaning improvements and bug fixes will become even worse than they have been. They count on that subscription model in a big way because if they can get enough suckers in there they won't have to worry about improvements or bug fixes.

FUD for Autodesk has as it's main source the leadership of Autodesk as they say one thing to one group than another thing to a different group and think their customers are to stupid to connect the dots. I really like the keep your perpetual seat one the best. They run up the cost of perpetual by 25% in three years and reduce what is in there to boot. Six months ago the list of associated aps available to me as an Inventor Pro customer was quite large. Just before my year was up I go to download all I can and see much to my disgust most of these aps were gone. It is indicative of the mindset over Autodesk. For a while they offered numerous ancillary aps for Inventor to get you to go there. As they move closer to subs only they yank a ton of stuff and why? Can you say more money?

Awhile back Anagnost was speaking at one of the institutional shareholder things and he stated that their way forward was to make existing customers pay more. Rental costs more and like what I said about Inventor above think what used to be features now become cost plus addons. Even if I were to have stayed there as a perpetual seat customer they were going to A, make my yearly costs go up far more than inflation and B find ways to strip things we use from the core product and make them $$$$$ add ons. I would also not rule out the idea that many things become available to rental customers only. If they can remove enough useful features from core products and make them available to rental only they can end numerous perpetual seats that way to. I don't put anything beyond these people who now only see walking ATM's and not customers with whom they wish a voluntary mutually beneficial relationship.

There is real FUD for you. I was excited to be involved with HSM but it's masters have proven to be duplicitous and back stabbing. They cut their costs and say prudent corporate management and raise ours through the roof. Somehow when we evince prudent cost control management we are no longer desirable customers. So which way is it and who is stupid here? Autodesk can kiss my rear end for the evil thing they have become.

Thank you all for the responses like Lockwood said where is the stopping point I doubt it’ll be at 4th axis surfacing cam either. I was just wondering if anyone knew about any future updates... being able to Do more in depth 4th axis work would really help me. But right now I can’t complain about fusion we also have an outdated version of ESPRIT from around 2009 and I really don’t know much about it we use it for some milling stuff but mostly wire EDM stuff... the cost of fusion is where it really shines compared to other cam packages I can do pretty much the same stuff in fusion as a co worker of mine can do in esprit and fusion is 1/5th the price.. plus free updates...

Right now owners of Intel CPU's are having to upgrade BIOS and CPU's because of vulnerabilities. One of the worst being the ability of one compromised core to take over others. Can you say server farms? Now people like Amazon and Intel state their server farms have been up graded but here is my point. Fusion is cheap and does a pretty good amount of real world work. It also demands you go online or be shut down. Yeah yeah yeah credit card companies and banks use the internet so it is safe just ask your Autodesk VAR or rep. Yes I have heard this exact phrase more than once. Financial online products also allow you to audit all your money flow each month and will make you whole for theft. Read the Autodesk TOS and EULA associated with Fusion and see what they have to say about security of your Intellectual Property or making you whole for damage as a result of being forced to go online to use this product.

What are the real chances of you being hacked? I have no idea but once can ruin you if it happens to files you have with confidentiality agreements in place. If Autodesk was confident they could protect you from this they would do so in legal ways to back it up. The ONLY legal thing they have done is to say they have no liability for any reason at any time. Faith in their own offerings on display here.

Along with bargain basement prices you get no security and have to avoid huge segments of work which requires you to sign confidentiality agreements. Autodesk is so clueless they even boasted about being able to use bluetooth to communicate to your cnc stuff as so cool. I sat there at the user group meeting where I heard this and thought bluetooth dude outside your building with a receiver and your hard work now theirs for free.

If your IP has no worth Fusion is cool. If your company has developed things of value go there at your own risk.

Another aspect is this. My workstations are not allowed online. No virus problems no employee disobeying rules problems going where they should not and or wasting my companies money on personal entertainment on my dime. That Fusion may or may not have 4th axis is a question but so are these ancillary things.

Not for a long while. The full priced version (HSMWorks) can't even really do it, despite what they claim on the box. They have no simultaneous 4 axis paths, you can use a 5 axis path, of which they have two. Neither works.

Now, 3+2 positional? That works great. But expecting to use it for real 4 or 5 axis work will just leave you crying in your beer.

Thank you all for the responses like Lockwood said where is the stopping point I doubt it’ll be at 4th axis surfacing cam either. I was just wondering if anyone knew about any future updates... being able to Do more in depth 4th axis work would really help me. But right now I can’t complain about fusion we also have an outdated version of ESPRIT from around 2009 and I really don’t know much about it we use it for some milling stuff but mostly wire EDM stuff... the cost of fusion is where it really shines compared to other cam packages I can do pretty much the same stuff in fusion as a co worker of mine can do in esprit and fusion is 1/5th the price.. plus free updates...

Ah, good point! I never actually addressed the initial question.

Recently, Flow was added to Fusion, and it's realistically the only multi-axis surfacing toolpath in Fusion, with Blend in development.

In HSMWorks, Flow can be locked to 4th axis, but it's somewhat unreliable, and is likely the reason that functionality hasn't been ported over to Fusion yet. I'm not sure where that functionality lands on the roadmap, but it's likely in there someplace. As always, if it's something you think would bring value, i'd suggest tossing it up into the Ideastation.

What do you guys think the best cam package is for a lot of 4th axis stuff along with good roughing and finishing strategies for hard milling and tool and die type of work?

Ah, good point! I never actually addressed the initial question.

Recently, Flow was added to Fusion, and it's realistically the only multi-axis surfacing toolpath in Fusion, with Blend in development.

In HSMWorks, Flow can be locked to 4th axis, but it's somewhat unreliable, and is likely the reason that functionality hasn't been ported over to Fusion yet. I'm not sure where that functionality lands on the roadmap, but it's likely in there someplace. As always, if it's something you think would bring value, i'd suggest tossing it up into the Ideastation.

ROB.....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Back