What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 Ramp Degrees

TurboDude93

Plastic
Does anyone have any good thoughts on ramp angles? Higher? Lower? Why does fusion automatically say 2 degrees?

Does anyone have any good thoughts on ramp angles? Higher? Lower? Why does fusion automatically say 2 degrees?

Because that is just what the default is set too in all of their CAM, doesn't mean you cannot select a new one.

sarted with HSMWorks before Autodesk bought them to port into Fusion and Inventor HSM.

I don't know why Fusion defaults to 2 degrees. I usually bump it up to 3 degrees and bump the feed rate, too. The ramp rate defaults to half the cutting feed rate, which is too low IMHO, at least in aluminum.

Here's another Fusion default I hate. Whenever I import a .SLDPRT or .STEP file, the units default to mm even though the part was built in inches and my default units in Fusion are inches.

I had the same problem with the mm to inches and stuff. I believe that there is a default in the settings that forces everything to be in inches

I'd venture a guess: Having a ramp angle that exceeds the dish angle on the end face of an end mill typically doesn't cut very well. 2 degrees may have just been Autodesk's "safe bet" that stayed below most dish angles.

On a center-cutting end mill, it can obviously be plunged straight down into the material, but that doesn't mean the end mill is real "happy" about it. :eek:

PM

I don't know why Fusion defaults to 2 degrees. I usually bump it up to 3 degrees and bump the feed rate, too. The ramp rate defaults to half the cutting feed rate, which is too low IMHO, at least in aluminum.

Here's another Fusion default I hate. Whenever I import a .SLDPRT or .STEP file, the units default to mm even though the part was built in inches and my default units in Fusion are inches.

Pretty easy to adjust the defaults for the first two; for the ramp angle, just set the value you want as default, right click the field and choose 'set default' (_not 'set all default)

The feed rate one is a little trickier, as it's driven by formula.. but still no big deal; right click the field and choose 'edit expression' - you should see something like "tool_feedRate * 0.5" - alter the modifier to suit your needs, close the formula, then right click and 'set default'

The units one though.. good luck. I'm not aware of a way to alter the units used during import; seems to do the same to me. The units setting seems to work fine for _new_ documents, but not imported documents. Bummer.

Back