What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 & turning canned cycles.

barratt

Aluminum
I tried Fusion 360 about a year ago but abandoned it on finding no support for turning canned cycles.
I hear that they are now available.
Anyone have experience of how successful the implementation is?

I tried Fusion 360 about a year ago but abandoned it on finding no support for turning canned cycles.
I hear that they are now available.
Anyone have experience of how successful the implementation is?

Turning canned cycles are for finger-camming. I suggest to use them........

Disclaimer: If you are doing complicated Y axis stuff CAM is nice but in that case why the canned cycles?? :confused:

Seriously?

Yes.
:D

If you are using CAM, why worry about canned cycles? Just let Fusion spit out its obfuscated, bloated, confusing G-code. I haven't messed around long enough with conFusion to have been irritated to your extent though, I ditched it...........just my $0.02

I'm just trying to avoid £800/yr maintenance for a product I swear is not really any better than it was 10yrs ago when we first bought it.
Bit like solidworks, for the stuff we do 2007 was plenty good enough.
I never heard of a 2 axis turn system that can't output canned cycles. Even going back 20 odd years ago with a dos product called Techsoft CAD/CAM that did canned cycles.

Not sure which you are looking for but when I use it for my 2 axis lathe their is a button that says "use canned cycles". Select that and instead of creating point to point moves it uses Gxx canned cycles. Don't remember specifically what for I only use them for threading as my Hyundai/Kia hates longhand threading code.

I was surprised that they didn't default to canned cycles but if you think about it it makes sense. The case for canned cycles is smaller programs that are easier and faster to write. On a 2 axis lathe that means the programs are 4k instead of 5k so really who cares. The other case is that it's much faster and easier to write canned programs manually. But your computer doesn't need the help. It isn't going to make bonehead mistakes or take forever to write code longhand.

But really these days other than people who don't want to learn a new skill and aren't under any kind of time constraint or just waiting to age out there is no good point to hand writing programs. The best person in the world takes ten times longer to write a program than a CAM person can create one.

The other more important reason I was given why it defaulted to long hand g code was that it removes the requirement for your controller to have to do computations in real time. They said that the cutting speed of modern machines was so fast now that having your controller taking time to compute code rather than just follow orders can cause all kinds of issues. Surface finish, slow down in feed at certain points, etc. It's just easier for the control to follow directions than do math.

Yes the fact that a lot of controls (*cough Fanuc) have the processing power of a first gen Atari and this wouldn't be as much of an issue with cell phone level processors but I have a 2017 mill that only has like 500k free memory after the factory loaded programs so it's not like they are trying to be cutting edge hardware wise.

In my experience Fusion will do pretty much whatever you want. You can make the code as bloated or sleek as you like, or at least as sleek as any other CAM system. Most of the bitching leveled at it seems to be more hate against Autodesk. I have to agree there, not that any other companies are any better.

Same with stability. Fusion gives some people issues. I get a crash about once a month so I am not one of them. But every other CAD/CAM software is just as bad if you are being honest.

I never use canned cycles but I tried it just for the hell of it and this is what I got.

Attachments

• fusion.jpg
    fusion.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 173
Thanks for the info.
So, they appear to have fixed the issue.
A year ago, when I tried it, there was no option for canned cycles.
Actually checking the website there wasn't as of Feb this year.

How to use canned cycles for turning toolpaths in Fusion 360 | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Two reasons I couldn't do without them.
We've got some older machines with limited memory. When we're doing big parts long hand just eats memory.

We get the program as close as possible on the CAM, but then refine it on the machine.
There are comments added, feed rates tweaked, DOC adjustment etc etc. Constantly re-posting and editing was a deal breaker.

It's also a lot easier to read the program when it's written in canned cycles.

As to post processors since the exact same core is used for InventorCAM, HSMworks, and Fusion 360 they all use the same post processors so there tend to be a lot in their Post Processor Library.

That said there isn't one for my Hyundai/Kia SKT250 so I just used the generic Fanuc turning one and had to make a few mods as to formatting and M codes.

My Doosan they had for 3 axis and also 5 axis. Also a Fanuc control. I am just starting to program for a 4th axis I got and neither of them worked. I just used the generic Fanuc Inverse Time & 4th axis one and it seems to work.

That said I will look at the Doosan specific one and try to bring the generic Fanuc post in line if I can. I am very, very new to playing with post processors so very gun shy.

But so many people use one of those three software programs that there are tons of posts floating around for nearly anything.

Back