What's new
What's new

Fusion CAM assistance needed please

ripperj

Stainless
Can someone point me in the right direction for removing the stock next to the radiused slot?( on the stepped face)
I faced the stock , did a 2D contour of the whole outside, then attempted to remove the material that forms the step near the slot.
I was able to program the arc, but not remove the material to the left of the cutter.
A second facing setup on the “step” didnt work as the tool over traveled into the good material.

Thanks

4f46386117870f85258525fb24a61ca5.jpg
10323f5c5b0d72394bbd30aa7377bb3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edit your 2d Contour operation where you cut your step feature, under Passes select Roughing Passes, select the stepover you want and how many passes needed to machine your feature. Multi-depths will let you rough and finish.

David- that was it, thanks a lot , pretty simple when you see it :)

In certain circumstances, the pocketing routine will actually work as well -- even though it's an "open" pocket.

Stepping out the contouring works really well -- the only downside that sometimes a large part of the tool path will be "cutting air", in which case it may be faster to rough away the material where you have the most to remove, and then doing a quick contour around the entire part to finish it (as jmaks said).

PM

Thanks for all the help.
I tried an open pocket, but I couldn’t get a valid tool path, but maybe I didn’t try hard enough

Ah.... my mistake on the open pocket. I just did a little test.

It *is* possible provided the open pocket has all inside radii. The two outside radii you have on your part... it won't fully cut that section.

I suppose the path for the pocket routine could be driven by a separate sketch just for that purpose, but contour is undoubtedly the best way to do it (and the easiest).

PM

ripperj,

Any possibility you could go to file menu, export as .f3d file and attach to a post here. I got curious after reading precisionmetal's post.
I use pocket quite a bit - in fact, for just about anything including contours. So made up a test part with tangent fillets at ends of open pocket - result attached. However, just not sure I have reproduced the conditions from your part.

Fred

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 8.49.02 PM.jpg

Fred- that certainly looks like the same situation, I’ll try attaching the file later when I’m near the PC
Thanks

3D Adaptive then use horizontal to finish the face up. Pocket is the wrong tool to use here.

If your trying to leave the material on the outside for grip and tabbing you can constrain the adaptive and horizontal in the Geometry tab use Machining boundary "Selection", then click the outside edge. To further constrain and prevent it from refacing go to heights, Top Height and change to Model Top and offset -.001

Untitled.jpg

Edit: That attachment came out tiny try this

YqQPYkN.png

yugami if you use a 2D adaptive and ALT+select the two curved contours to create an open-ended pocket it will do an adaptive from outside the part instead of trying to helical in. I've had better luck that way then using the entry options.

You can also select Tool outside boundary with a little additional offset on 3d and it will automatically do the same.

Edit your 2d Contour operation where you cut your step feature, under Passes select Roughing Passes, select the stepover you want and how many passes needed to machine your feature. Multi-depths will let you rough and finish.

Unless you're going to use 2D Adaptive, use this method noted above. See below for remaining details.

Stepping out the contouring works really well -- the only downside that sometimes a large part of the tool path will be "cutting air", in which case it may be faster to rough away the material where you have the most to remove, and then doing a quick contour around the entire part to finish it (as jmaks said).

PM

Fusion gets around this by allowing "Stock Contours" to be selected in the Geometry tab, so it knows where the stock is in the 2D toolpaths, then trims the fat. Since the 2D Toolpaths are not model aware, you need to define where stock is or it will cut air.

Back