What's new
What's new

Fusion machine simulation

And in the meantime, We @ Autodesk are proud to announce that the all new FeatureCAM 2022 is released.

New Features: ( and I quote verbatim and in it's entirety: )

Added a new checkbox in the Options dialog (Display > Shaded) to allow isolines to be displayed in black rather than just a shade of the model color. FCAM-4976

I got my Okuma set up pretty quickly. I haven't had the chance to make sure the actual post-processed code is doing what it should. There are a few quirks right now, like how you have to sync your view to the model setup instead of the machine locking the environment in a proper X/Y/Z orientation. But I was amazed at how easy it is to get something in the right location. About the only use I have for it is avoiding my toolsetter but of course I had to waste a few hours getting the model and post processor set up.

And in the meantime, We @ Autodesk are proud to announce that the all new FeatureCAM 2022 is released.

New Features: ( and I quote verbatim and in it's entirety: )

The writing is on the wall here - FeatureCAM, PowerMill, Inventor are all dead softwares walking. The same way HSM Works, T-Splines, and now CAMPlete are. Autodesk is going to hoover everything into Fusion and offer all the functionality in a suite of applications unified under one platform. Offering 4 CAM systems and 3 CAD systems is silly.

Say what you will, but Autodesk has a couple of Billion invested in Fusion at this point, and they are looking to make the next generation version of NX. Mind you, it took over 45 years of evolution (going back to Unigraphics) for NX to get where it is today, and given the pace of development at Fusion, it will take another 5-10 years before they catch up. But they will.

Greg, Do you know anything about setting a Brother up for simulation? My quick check of the machine library didn't find any.

Do you have the solid model? Get that from your dealer, and then there is a pretty easy to follow guide. You do need to turn it on in your preferences because it is technically still a "preview" feature.

You take a model, simplify it a little if you want to, and then use the Machine Builder function to set up the kinematics (there are a few good videos on YouTube for this as well). Then, you need to do some copy and paste in your post processor. It sounds like they are working on getting all the posts updated with the basic code but I'm sure that will take some time and likely be done based on machine popularity.

gkoenig, I think, is correct. If you think about it, MasterCAM, Esprit, etc. all have base modules and add ons. Why wouldn't Fusion use that model by building the IP from its more competent acquisitions into pay-to-use options over time? They already have the toolpath editing and at least one high end toolpath from Powermill. They are adding machine simulation and I can only assume that means you will have an option to pay for machine-aware toolpath generation like Powermill does. The turning side seems to be getting less attention so I think they are trying to dominate the "new 5-axis user" market first.

Ultimately, I think you'll end up with a Fusion 360 that, when loaded up for specific applications, end up in the same price range as other options in the marketplace.

The writing is on the wall here - FeatureCAM, PowerMill, Inventor are all dead softwares walking..

Rest assured, I am painfully aware of that fact.
So much so that I have dropped maintenance on both, FeatureCAM and Inventor PDSU.

I've only copied the release statement to show that sooner or later the existing FeatureCAM ( and some of the other ) userbase will likely jump ship as well,
leaving the Fusion development team looking for new source of revenue.

As for me, I am fairly certain never to go back onto the ADSK train, and in the meantime there is an annual 5K freeing up which can be put towards another system
when the time comes.
And before anyone says whatabout the existing software knowledge and file content, .... well they are not compatible anyway so why do I care?
I'm loosing 14+ years worth of it as it is so the switch and the start-from-the-bottom learning experience is inevitable no matter what, so might as well
start again anew with a sw. company that still has a half an ounce of perceived decency and integrity.

Greg, Do you know anything about setting a Brother up for simulation? My quick check of the machine library didn't find any.

No, but I don't work in Fusion often enough to keep my post up to the latest/greatest. Check the Speedio Slack.

Dgkoenig, I think, is correct. If you think about it, MasterCAM, Esprit, etc. all have base modules and add ons. Why wouldn't Fusion use that model by building the IP from its more competent acquisitions into pay-to-use options over time? They already have the toolpath editing and at least one high end toolpath from Powermill. They are adding machine simulation and I can only assume that means you will have an option to pay for machine-aware toolpath generation like Powermill does. The turning side seems to be getting less attention so I think they are trying to dominate the "new 5-axis user" market first.

Fusion is targeting the 5 Axis market because it is the second best inroad to getting shops onto their software; small/mid size shops often use the jump to 5Ax as the time to reevaluate the entire CAD/CAM tool chain, and start looking around for new options. Fusion kills it on price, but they also have tonnes of great learning content out there. The Fusion guys, like Haas, realize that there is a lot of nervousness about these big $$$ investments, so they put a boatload of effort into educational content that shows potential buyers just how easy stuff is to do.

Probably the smartest investment those two companies actually make. Mark Terryberry has probably moved more Haas iron than Gene himself.

Back