What's new
What's new

Fusion360 adding small lines randomly

Cole2534

Diamond
Without reason, I'll find that Fusion360 has added a small line to a line I've sketched and it's infuriating. Has this happened to anyone else? If so what's the solution?

Imagine- you draw a line, sketch it length say 6.5" but it doesn't line up with other features like it should. Then you mouse over the line and find there's a small segment at the beginning that you didn't tell it to execute and your correct line has begun at that segment's end rather than the point you intended.

It just did it again. The blue segment in the pic is not something I sketched and it should not be there.

Annotation 2019-12-06 092121.jpg

only time i have seen that is when I actually started the line in the wrong place. I have had problems with it not wanting to snap where I need it and having to either zoom way in or change the way I do things in the first place.

Similar if different from other CAD program problems I have had.

For instance my tendency in drawing a slot might be to draw 2 circles then two tangent lines. It becomes more straight forward to draw a rectangle first then two circles. If I already have a center line for the slot I might draw two rectangles then two circles which sounds bizarre, but it means the software has corners to snap to for every feature and I spend no time zooming in or screwing around and it is just a few more lines to snip

Did you ask on the Fusion forum? The posters are usually responsive and the answers are clear if the question is clear (which yours is).
I haven't yet, PM is my first stop for all things machining.

If no one has an answer here before I get back to my desk I'll ask over there and relay the message.

Cole2534,

Is this a simple sketch that is the first thing you are drawing?

Or by any chance, did you create a sketch off a surface of a body that already exists? Sometimes, I have found that Fusion will try to project edges off the body (even if it's not visible), and those edges can appears as a line or lines in your sketch.

Just tossing out something I have encountered before.

PM

When you are sketching lines, doesn’t Fusion assume you are going to sketch another line until you hit escape? That at least how I do it.

In your example (if I understand your intent)
I would have sketched( but not dimensioned) the long line on the right, the top line and then the left line.. all in one step, then hit escape, then hit “D” for dimension and then add the 12”.
This way there is no way the ends of the line segments don’t join.

I have noticed many times that I fail to “end” the line tool and think I’m just moving the cursor to a new spot, and notice I’m making a new line segment .

Are you sure that’s not what you are doing?(I think that’s what Rick was hinting at above)

There is probably a series of mouse clicks that kills the line tool, but escape button works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had it happen to me a few times as well. I believe it is because when you a placing the first point of your line you are moving the mouse.

Fusion has 2 ways you can draw the first segment.

1. you can click/release for first point, move to next point and click/release to place second point.
2. you can click/hold for first point , move to second point and release to place second point.

So when in a hurry trying to use method one and the mouse is actually moving slightly you may be generating a line using method 2 since there is movement between the click and release.

This does seem to be worse lately so maybe something changed to make it worse.

I have had it happen to me a few times as well. I believe it is because when you a placing the first point of your line you are moving the mouse.

Fusion has 2 ways you can draw the first segment.

1. you can click/release for first point, move to next point and click/release to place second point.
2. you can click/hold for first point , move to second point and release to place second point.

So when in a hurry trying to use method one and the mouse is actually moving slightly you may be generating a line using method 2 since there is movement between the click and release.

This does seem to be worse lately so maybe something changed to make it worse.
I think you have nailed it, it only happens when I'm moving quickly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back