What's new
What's new

Fusion360 Extensions

csharp

Stainless
Sounds like some of the new toolpaths in Fusion will be thru paid extensions. I am maybe reading between the lines here in the post.

Inventor CAM 2020 instead of Inventor HSM 2020 (Namechange) - Autodesk Community

@garin please can you update us on when and how Inventor CAM users will get access to the steep & shallow toolpath Fusion 360 users are getting access to in the extra cost Advanced Manufacturing Extension

We plan to deliver the Steep & Shallow toolpath as an extension to the Fusion experience.

Sounds like some of the new toolpaths in Fusion will be thru paid extensions.

I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. I can just image the future of Fusion, want to do a drilling toolpath...please deposit 5 credits. :crazy:

My recommendations for shops is still to move away from Fusion as soon as you are financially able to do so.

I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. I can just image the future of Fusion, want to do a drilling toolpath...please deposit 5 credits. :crazy:

My recommendations for shops is still to move away from Fusion as soon as you are financially able to do so.

Only surprised it took so long. For me I really like the Autodesk CAM HSM product line just not the uncertainty that goes with it. I wonder what the price point will be.

The only value I can see is you could only purchase some options for a couple of programmers and the rest maybe would not need them. I guess it could save some a little money.

But the pessimistic side of me says it just tactic to benefit ADSK and not the user.

At $300 a year including 1000 cloud credits, none of which I have ever used yet, my guess is it will be awhile before I save money moving on. Oh, and I really demand a CAD/CAM system so changes in the model seemlessly update throughout the entire system.

Maybe some of it will be on the cloud and you'll need your cloud credits.
Re: Inventor CAM 2020 instead of Inventor HSM 2020 (Namechange) - Autodesk Community

As we bring new Manufacturing capabilities such as steep & shallow, inspection, drill wizard, we will deliver these as a pay-as-you-go Manufacturing Extension for Fusion 360. Think of the Extension as bundle of functionality that can be unlocked for a set price on a month-by-month basis (125 cloud credits) or a full year (1500 cloud credits).

As we bring new Manufacturing capabilities such as steep & shallow, inspection, drill wizard, we will deliver these as a pay-as-you-go Manufacturing Extension for Fusion 360. Think of the Extension as bundle of functionality that can be unlocked for a set price on a month-by-month basis (125 cloud credits) or a full year (1500 cloud credits).

This is shady as f**k.
Run, don't walk, away from this while you still can.

If you read any of Autodesks investment documents you'll see the only thing they really care about is the future boom in construction. This cad/cam is nothing more than a pet project, for what....who knows, maybe trying to create patents, maybe trying to create developers inhouse, maybe just hedging bets. But pretty soon, as this latest move shows, they are going to start trying to see what they can draw from the project.

Maybe some of it will be on the cloud and you'll need your cloud credits.
Re: Inventor CAM 2020 instead of Inventor HSM 2020 (Namechange) - Autodesk Community

As we bring new Manufacturing capabilities such as steep & shallow, inspection, drill wizard, we will deliver these as a pay-as-you-go Manufacturing Extension for Fusion 360. Think of the Extension as a bundle of functionality that will allow us a way to extract money on a month-by-month basis (125 cloud credits) or a full year (1500 cloud credits).

I fixed that for them.

This should be fun. "Hey I need to make a couple of changes to the jobs I programmed last month." That will be 125 cloud credits please.

I am more than willing to pay a fair price for the software and would be fine with price increases as it gets better. Fix/finish drawings, fix turning(6year project), better assembly methods etc.... Fact is it is probably a decent deal right now with all the holes still in it.

So our monthly/yearly subscriptions will only provide bug fixes and the privilege to use the "current functionality". New functionality will come at an additional cost.

We just hired a mechanical engineer and was considering a 3rd seat. I guess with this uncertainty we will have to start the look all over again.

So we can't really expect them to import a bunch of powermill toolpaths for free can we? My mastercam maintenance is 3k a year (just went up 3%) as well as are worknc. If I only get charged more for the items you want to use at that time is it really bad?

So first there was Fusion 360.
Then they added Fusion 360 Ultimate because it had more advanced stuff.
But Ultimate really didn't have that much more that was worthwhile, so they stopped selling it.
Then Autodesk re-introduces Fusion 360 Ultimate for $1500 (Regular was $300)
Next, they do everyone a favor and combine Ultimate and Regular into one for the price of $495 (either a price increase or decrease depending on your point of view)- which let's face it, if Ultimate was selling great, this would never have been done.
Now they will have $1500 cloud credit "extensions", one for manufacturing, who knows what else in the future.

Is this just deja vu?

Is this just deja vu?

More like the movie Ground Hog Day. :D

Like Bug said you nailed it. I was trying to make the same point before. How many times do we need to go down this road? You can repackage it and reprice it but you have the same product that people were not all that keen on spending $1500 on. There are some great things about it but it is not $1500/year software at this point and I can't believe that adding a couple features with a 1000-1500 extension price above the 495 is going to attract that many more .

They expect us to believe they can solve complex FEA but can't create a section view in cam or a hole callout in drawings? Just too many holes in it rather then patch them they just add more tools.

Back