What's new
What's new

Fusion360 vs Inventor "Ultimate" CAM

Schjell

Aluminum
Waiting for my 7 ton Haas CNC lathe/mill and working with CAM preparations.

In our Autodesk subscription we have HSM incorporated in both Inventor ("Ultimate" version) and we have Fusion360 which I have not used.
To me it seems like the CAM within Inventor is eventually going to be replaced by Fusion CAM entirely. Most tool libraries, etc on the internet targets Fusion.
The fact that nobody has ever published a book about Inventor HSM says it all to me. I'm starting to think that Autodesk bought it just so that they could mess with SolidWorks.

Our 3-axis router that we have ordered is also Fusion oriented.

Looking ahead - Should my workflow be like this? I don't want to get into a workflow that might go extinct soon.

1. DESIGN PARTS/ASSYS IN INVENTOR (Inventor is still superior to Fusion in advanced design features).
2. OPEN INVENTOR PARTS IN FUSION
3. MAKE CNC PROGRAM IN FUSION

Granted - any changes in part design will not be backward compatible - it will mean starting over from scratch in Fusion..

Many thanks for any advice guys!

Waiting for my 7 ton Haas CNC lathe/mill and working with CAM preparations.

In our Autodesk subscription we have HSM incorporated in both Inventor ("Ultimate" version) and we have Fusion360 which I have not used.
To me it seems like the CAM within Inventor is eventually going to be replaced by Fusion CAM entirely. Most tool libraries, etc on the internet targets Fusion.
The fact that nobody has ever published a book about Inventor HSM says it all to me. I'm starting to think that Autodesk bought it just so that they could mess with SolidWorks.

Our 3-axis router that we have ordered is also Fusion oriented.

Looking ahead - Should my workflow be like this? I don't want to get into a workflow that might go extinct soon.

1. DESIGN PARTS/ASSYS IN INVENTOR (Inventor is still superior to Fusion in advanced design features).
2. OPEN INVENTOR PARTS IN FUSION
3. MAKE CNC PROGRAM IN FUSION

Granted - any changes in part design will not be backward compatible - it will mean starting over from scratch in Fusion..

Many thanks for any advice guys!

That workflow will work and If you update the design in inventor it will update in Fusion so can machine from it- little more complex to setup but it will work.

Autodesk is working on getting Fusion to update in vault as well

Back