What's new
What's new

GibbsCam duplicate and rotate vs. multiple CS

wileemachinist

Plastic
Not sure if this is a machine or CAM issue. We are doing 3+2 machining on a DMU 50 with the 840D control. Part is a ring with pockets around the periphery at 22.5 degree spacing. Features are cut from both the top and side with the table (B) orientation being 0 and at 90 degrees.

If I program the operation using duplicate and degrees in the rotate tab my posted program is sub programs. I get a cycle 800 rotating the "B" table to 90 degrees and then 22.5 degree "C" moves for each pocket in the main program. The side cuts are out of time with the cuts from the top.

When I do each pocket orientation in its own CS my posted program is just a main program with no subs. I get a cycle 800 that has 90 deg for "B" and 22.5 deg for "C". This cuts the part correctly and is timed to the flat top cuts.

Looking at the code side by side all the x,y,z numbers are the same with only the way "C" moves are called. Can someone explain to me what is happening? Not the first time this issue has showed up.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't use it often but the duplicate and rotate should be set to 1 less than the total desired number of instances since you've already cut one IIRC.

If you do not create new CS the root CS is used has the center of rotation, and your probed part is most likely not positioned at the machine's center of rotation. By creating new cs for each feature - you get correction to the exact location for each feature. imagine the part 5 inches off center of the table,now with B at 90 rotate C and watch your part.

Back