Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    NO. Not one of Titans portals, just another machinist chat room. I didn't "lose" my status, I simply decided not to be an admin anymore. All of Ty's vids and courses are on youtube so its all up for grabs. yes, China bans youtube for the general public, but it's opened in the polytechnic schools for research.

As far as ty and Myself goes, there has never been anything "Lovely shovely". I saw through his BS from the start. All that guy wanted was free machines, tools, coolant software, and anything else one would need to have a shop. I'm fine with that, who wouldn't want a free business? What rubbed me wrong was him exerting his success to get aspiring people to pay for him to have his free shop. Who boast about a million dollar jobs then boast more about losing a million dollars?
    That's cool to know Chinese polytechnics and the like allow partial or more complete access to youtube.

Well one of his (Titan's) vids is "How I lost $100 million " ~ Basically all eggs in one basket and 2008 hit.

I think the budget for what he really wants (national vocational training centers ) would be of the order of $240M each.

Lets say theoretically a philanthropist put $6Bn into trust for CNC type training / machining and manufacturing foundation and vocational schools, then there would be a board of trustees (various directors), an institute and various employees etc. Basically a non-profit. But in such a situation Titan wouldn't own anything and could actually be fired from the organization that he helped found.

That's why there's this uneasy commercial aspect (to Titan's work) as unfortunately this seems for now the only way to do it as Aged billionaires guilty of partially destroying the planet / humanity like to fund things (in a philanthropic way) like the ballet or the Opera or things like the Getty Museum or the Sackler Gallery in D.C. "They" don't like funding things that are directly related to how they grabbed their fortunes in the first place (oil and gas etc. and pharmaceuticals) .

The US government isn't doing it at a national level or state level so much (other than community colleges programs etc. that are underfunded.)

Big-ish US corporations related to defense and aerospace and other , don't really care. They don't see a need to invest in US training curriculums for manufacturing jobs for the "Future".

Ultimately in the end it's just going to be Chinese robots vs. US robots anyway.

One man cannot lift an entire industry.

I'm not sure what the solution really is without proper government programs as the private sector creates too many conflicts of interest to attempt to achieve the same result.

Titan attempts to talk to various senators and congress men and women, very few of which have any idea what "CNC" is or perhaps view "automation" in manufacturing as dangerous to their political platforms.

It's a real mess.
    Last edited by cameraman; 03-02-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    Wait, you actually own SolidWorks? Cus I just got hit with a ~$1500 invoice for next year's maintanance on my ~$3000 license. Sure feels like a subscription to me.
    You don't have to pay maintenance. You have the option of just freezing it in time. Though IMO the new feature updates are reason enough to upgrade.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Though IMO the new feature updates are reason enough to upgrade.
    What features would that be?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Can you tell me SPECIFICALLY what you got this year for your $1500 in maintenance? The Solidworks salesman couldn’t either. . .
    Not much really. But if I don't keep up with their 5 service packs a year I can't open native solidworks parts sent to me by about 25% of my customers. It's absolutely a scam, but I also don't want to tell customers that they have to send me dumb solids because I let maintenance lapse.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not much really. But if I don't keep up with their 5 service packs a year I can't open native solidworks parts sent to me by about 25% of my customers. It's absolutely a scam, but I also don't want to tell customers that they have to send me dumb solids because I let maintenance lapse.
    I'm having trouble keeping up with the Solidworks "Treadmill" too, almost tempted to try out and switch to Solid Edge... (kinda liked that more than Solidworks to begin with but got into Solidworks 'cuz of SolidCam.).

I'm not a huge fan of Siemens PLM but the Solid Edge model and modules seem pretty scalable and agile in terms of how you can build up or partially tear down a license as well as stop and start ~ Better model for smaller companies and 'Peeps" that wear different hats at different times of various project phases. Serious FEA work and CAD/CAM work can be two years apart in some cases, gets expensive having to pay for all the bells and whistles on an Amped up Solidworks license.
    Last edited by cameraman; 03-03-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea, this situation sucks. And, is kind of embarrassing. I'm current on my maint. (I really don't know why? )
    Because, I have pretty much frozen my CAM @ 2015. I am constantly having to ask for Iges or Parasolid.
    And, the one thing I hate about FeatureCAM (even before autodicks) a guy needed to buy a plug-in to import Step files. I did not know that until it was too late.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A modern day tale of "owing yer soul to the company store". Seems like that should somehow be illegal in this day and age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good question was raised here. Why couldn't you have one Autodesk account for the machine, with two shifts using the same account? For example, if we have two shifts at the Doosan, call the account "Doosan" and let both employees log in. Why would I want to have a "John Doe" and a "Joe Smith" account and have to double up on the subscription payments? But if I understand correctly, that's how Autodesk is going to want it, but how will they enforce that?

I don't have any Autodesk software at this point, just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that's an easy answer. Your employee, Doosan, is going to work 16hrs+ a day.

Like you said, how are they going to enforce it?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finger print and retinal scan. Easy to do, already functional in phones and laptops.

11. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With the price of USB software fingerprint locks going for $5-$10 it will be easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    With the price of USB software fingerprint locks going for $5-$10 it will be easy.
    How would that work? Autodesk sends a person to my facility to finger print me?

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In order to register the software to the user, they could require it. Bought any software recently ? I went with a friend to pick up a new Mickeysoft Surface ... damn. Every other click was "enter your email address, enter your phone number, enter your mickeysoft account password ..." They required that to add a damned user !

I was appalled. No wonder I'm a Pirate Software customer !

(Get this - the official Microsoft store had a thumb drive of adobe products they installed for you, with cracks and license keys

15. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Every other click was "enter your email address, enter your phone number, enter your mickeysoft account password ..." They required that to add a damned user !
    They certainly make it look that way, but it is still possible to have local only accounts in Windows 10. Microsoft is making much of their stock price increases on the revenue increases from their cloud offerings, so it's no surprise they guide you into making a cloud based account. I suspect the local-only accounts are programmed deep into the OS, and they can't easily get rid of it, otherwise they would to push more to their cloud.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems everything is going fingerprint now. I bought a new Macbook a few weeks ago with the new touch bar. On the right hand side it has a fingerprint scanner that is required for everything. Opening the Mac, Installing Apps, Deleting Apps, logging into websites and emails, Paying bills, etc.

One could write a software that during the initial setup you would be required to use a fingerprint to just install the software and it remember that print as the software user. A quick google and there is many companies that already offer this service. While I think it's quite handy for what I do on my Mac, It could very well be a PITA from AD.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make a silicone rubber finger tip for each user. Put it on a keychain.

19. Likes Chris999 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Make a silicone rubber finger tip for each user. Put it on a keychain.

Don't under estimate the lengths at which this billion dollar corporation will go to ensure there are no work arounds to this named user license system.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Don't under estimate the lengths at which this billion dollar corporation will go to ensure there are no work arounds to this named user license system.
    Remember they have the SBA behind them, too. One disgruntled employee and next week a troop of jack-booted thugs kicks in your front door.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to Corona Virus, they are extending the date. Autodesk News

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Finger print and retinal scan. Easy to do, already functional in phones and laptops.
    I would rather send them a rectal scan.

24. Likes Yan Wo liked this post