What's new
What's new

Helical/Harvey partnership with Autodesk

Yates Precision

Plastic
Hey everyone. I don't see anything about this in here yet, so I thought I'd share for all the Autodesk users on PM. Helical and Harvey Tool have partnered with Autodesk (Only Fusion 360 right now, but HSM and Powermill are in the works) so now you can import their tool libraries into Fusion 360. Saves a lot of time when it comes to creating tools, especially some of the odd shapes that Harvey offers. If you're interested, go to 404 Not Found for more info and the libraries.

Hey everyone. I don't see anything about this in here yet, so I thought I'd share for all the Autodesk users on PM. Helical and Harvey Tool have partnered with Autodesk (Only Fusion 360 right now, but HSM and Powermill are in the works) so now you can import their tool libraries into Fusion 360. Saves a lot of time when it comes to creating tools, especially some of the odd shapes that Harvey offers. If you're interested, go to 404 Not Found for more info and the libraries.

You can import the libraries into HSM just my changing the file extensions

I was literally sitting next to the machine, programming a part in F360 with 2 funky Harvey tools (a radius mill and a keyset cutter), so I jumped on the chance to use this. Alas, neither Harvey tool was in the library - a quick glance told me it was all basic square/corner radius/ball end mills, not the crazy stuff, or drills, or reamers, or etc.

Apparently, the entire Harvey/Helical catalog is coming in due time (I can imagine this is a data integration nightmare to pull off).

I was literally sitting next to the machine, programming a part in F360 with 2 funky Harvey tools (a radius mill and a keyset cutter), so I jumped on the chance to use this. Alas, neither Harvey tool was in the library - a quick glance told me it was all basic square/corner radius/ball end mills, not the crazy stuff, or drills, or reamers, or etc.

Apparently, the entire Harvey/Helical catalog is coming in due time (I can imagine this is a data integration nightmare to pull off).

Right now, it is just Harvey Tool and Helical Solutions end mills, around 14,000 tools in total. Specialty profiles and drills are definitely coming - but as you said, a little more work to be done on the data. Not a nightmare though! Just work we have to do with the Fusion team. We will be sending out social/email blasts to let people know when additional tools are added.

Why not put this effort into Machining Cloud integration. Seems to be the way the rest of the industry is going?

Oh right, autodesk is going the opposite direction of everyone else...with a guy whos' every other word is 'booom' at the helm! Have fun on that ride!

Opposite for now, we have mastercam worknc and fusion. Its advancing way faster than anybody else. Like it or not, its coming

Opposite for now, we have mastercam worknc and fusion. Its advancing way faster than anybody else. Like it or not, its coming

It is only appears to advancing faster than anyone, because it has so much left to do. I think it is a great product and do use it. It also depends on what area of the product you use. The turning side has advanced at slower than the entire industry.

Easy there fanboy. If you read my comment again you will see I'm referring to the integration method being used. Having everyone working to a similar standard is a good thing...as a machinist you should be able to relate to this quite easily. Imagine having to cut a Ford 1/2-13 vs a Chevy 1/2-13 vs a GE 1/2-13...this is basically what Autodesk is doing. They are trying to make an environment that only their shit will work in. And once you are locked in to that environment...bend over buddy cause like it or not, its coming.

Last edited:
Fanboy? Ok I bought all the above shit we program with. I paid the 18k for mc and the 20k for worknc. The 2400 maintaince for 1 and the 3200 for the other. So at this point what is really getting bent over all about. I want good clean gcode on my machines. Fusion does that very well and it's advancing quick. So yeah I guess that makes me a fanboy.

Fanboy? Ok I bought all the above shit we program with. I paid the 18k for mc and the 20k for worknc. The 2400 maintaince for 1 and the 3200 for the other. So at this point what is really getting bent over all about. I want good clean gcode on my machines. Fusion does that very well and it's advancing quick. So yeah I guess that makes me a fanboy.

Ok, well post an example of mastercams, worknc and fusions code for the same part. Lets see how much better the code is for fusion.What machine would this be for?

They ALL give good code, just some do it cheaper, that's what I'm trying to say. People keep bashing Fusion and they haven't even run it. This is on 3, 4 and 5 axis mills. And yes this is on 3+2 milling i am referring to. Just for kicks though just write a simple multiple depth face path on pretty much any part. Fusion will be most effective. Then post a 10-15meg program and see what posts faster. Or a area rough path on decent size block with same settings and see who calculates faster. Or take a 20 or so operation part and move your wcs from top of part to bottom and hit regen. Which one will still hit the depths write and not rapid through the part without changing a bunch of clearance planes. Write a surface raster and grab just couple surfaces to cut and not make containment boundary check surfaces to keep it from colliding with other surfaces. ( yes worknc is awesome for this to). I have used mc everyday since v7 and fusion is easier mentally to use. Not bashing any software just stating how it is.

They ALL give good code, just some do it cheaper, that's what I'm trying to say. People keep bashing Fusion and they haven't even run it. This is on 3, 4 and 5 axis mills. And yes this is on 3+2 milling i am referring to. Just for kicks though just write a simple multiple depth face path on pretty much any part. Fusion will be most effective. Then post a 10-15meg program and see what posts faster. Or a area rough path on decent size block with same settings and see who calculates faster. Or take a 20 or so operation part and move your wcs from top of part to bottom and hit regen. Which one will still hit the depths write and not rapid through the part without changing a bunch of clearance planes. Write a surface raster and grab just couple surfaces to cut and not make containment boundary check surfaces to keep it from colliding with other surfaces. ( yes worknc is awesome for this to). I have used mc everyday since v7 and fusion is easier mentally to use. Not bashing any software just stating how it is.

Honestly, I don't bash Fusion. For the price you pay, it is very good but it is not at the level of SolidWorks or Mastercam or other mid to top end cad/cam softwares. That is where I have a problem with the Fusion advocates. Yes, you can do quite a bit with fusion and sure they are adding stuff everyday....stuff that already exists in other software...but they aren't breaking new ground in cad or cam. Must be frustrating for those software engineers there...your job is just to recreate what everyone else has already done except don't infringe on IP.

So if you have so much evidence of Fusion being superior, post up a video, post up some gcode, show us some machine simulation...oh wait...

Name calling, really lol.

We all know fusion is cheaper. You state it is superior at creating toolpaths and gcode....show us. It's easy to run your mouth, tough to back it up though.

Where did I say superior? Thats where the stump part keeps coming from.

Sorry, you said 'most effective'. So again, show us how.
Right the path in both and you decide on it. Take a 40x 40 block and face when Fusion gets done with one depth it drops in same corner its at and starts cutting again.
It don't rapid all the way across and start over for the next depth.

Right the path in both and you decide on it. Take a 40x 40 block and face when Fusion gets done with one depth it drops in same corner its at and starts cutting again.
It don't rapid all the way across and start over for the next depth.

Mastercam can do that. Can do the WCS move without edits too, if you set it up right in the first place.

Oh really love to see it. Show me those in mc and I'll retract everything I said. And I don't mean a 10 incremental retract either and also the face milling for that matter. Would love to learn this.

Back