What's new
What's new

Help me to find the right CAD tool.

Sauerwald

Plastic
I have a small business where most of my design is electronic, and I have a CAD solution (Eagle) that is working well for me there. I also do a small number of mechanical designs - our cases are formed sheet metal, and I need to be able to generate and maintain those drawings. I then send the drawings out to a subcontractor who makes the cases for me. I only do about one case design per year. For the past 2 years, I have been using Fusion 360, which is working, but I am finding some things that are just not working for me: these include having the measurements relative to other objects in the design, rather than relative to an origin - and having everything in the cloud is just not working for me.
Since I don't use Mechanical CAD daily, it is hard to justify a huge expense in order to purchase or rent it.
I do use Corel Draw - primarily to do 2D designs which are sent to a laser cutter that we use in our process - but it doesn't seem to do 3D very well.

I'm looking for a basic mechanical CAD package which will allow me to generate a set of drawings for my 'metal bender' which is relatively easy to learn, and not terribly expensive. Any suggestions?

Mark

I confess, I don't quite understand the 'can't dimension from an origin' complaint. OTOH, if internet access is a problem, or one is cloud-phobic then Fusion is a non-starter. You might take a look at the offerings from TurboCAD; less than $100.00 for their 2D/3D design offering.

Fred

Back