Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help me to find the right CAD tool.

I have a small business where most of my design is electronic, and I have a CAD solution (Eagle) that is working well for me there. I also do a small number of mechanical designs - our cases are formed sheet metal, and I need to be able to generate and maintain those drawings. I then send the drawings out to a subcontractor who makes the cases for me. I only do about one case design per year. For the past 2 years, I have been using Fusion 360, which is working, but I am finding some things that are just not working for me: these include having the measurements relative to other objects in the design, rather than relative to an origin - and having everything in the cloud is just not working for me.
    Since I don't use Mechanical CAD daily, it is hard to justify a huge expense in order to purchase or rent it.
    I do use Corel Draw - primarily to do 2D designs which are sent to a laser cutter that we use in our process - but it doesn't seem to do 3D very well.

I'm looking for a basic mechanical CAD package which will allow me to generate a set of drawings for my 'metal bender' which is relatively easy to learn, and not terribly expensive. Any suggestions?

Mark

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Draftsight for 2D CAD, AutoCad workalike but no $ cost.

Fusion360 for 3D CAD with drawings as output. Also free. Lots of YouTube training available. Even does sheet metal: Fusion 36 Sheet Metal Tutorial! FF94 - YouTube

Gerrit

3. Likes mister honey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gerritv View Post
    Fusion360 for 3D CAD with drawings as output. Also free. Lots of YouTube training available. Even does sheet metal: Fusion 36 Sheet Metal Tutorial! FF94 - YouTube

Gerrit
    You do realize you just recommended the CAD that he clearly said he is now using, and wants to get away from. Right?

5. Likes doug925 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I confess, I don't quite understand the 'can't dimension from an origin' complaint. OTOH, if internet access is a problem, or one is cloud-phobic then Fusion is a non-starter. You might take a look at the offerings from TurboCAD; less than $100.00 for their 2D/3D design offering.

Fred