What's new
What's new

HIgh Helix Thread Forms

Scra99tch

Plastic
Hello,

Our machine we are using is a Haas Multi-grind CB. We are trying to model high helix thread forms and are having trouble getting the machine to accept our solid works model.

The software on the machine wants to see the axial view of my thread. So I model this in solid works about an axis and converting those entities onto a plane. The plane is tilted by the lead angle of the thread arctan(Lead or (starts* pitch)/pi*dia). When I model my axial view I use the axial flank angle the axial pitch and the dedendum on the thread to check double my normal view (print that is supplied to me of our threadforms). It should always come out to the correct pitch and flank angle of the normal view when I do this.

Here is an example of what I am dealing with.

Capture.jpg,

If you notice the wide form is my axial flank angle which turns out to be >70 degrees to get a normal flank angle of 40 degrees. Once we turn this thing the ~50 degrees for the lead, you'll see the shrunken thread form start to develop an ellipse as the radius.

This is where the voodoo happens. Once I put this into the machine it takes the ellipse and segments it into little sections to handle the ellipse (it can't take any forms other than lines and radii. So now I have a form on my machine that comes to a point and has convex flank angles that in transposes on the wheel. I then use and advance angle for the wheel to make sure that a radius starts to show up on the point. The advanced angle is causing the wheel to tilt slightly to compensate for the "pie plate effect" of swiping the edges of the thread as it turns. Think of thread milling as an example.

Capture1.jpg

Would anyone happen to know or point me in the right direction in the equation to use for the advanced angle a wheel of x diameter and a part of y diameter has to be so that it will now swipe the flanks as it rotates.

I will model a single pin into the form to get my single MOW (or if I am feeling dexterous 3 wires). With higher helix forms you end up getting your flank angle and as portion of the thread that falls away past the dedendum. When this happens I have to model two pins one that sits low in the form and one that sits a little higher.

The only real alternative is to hand draw the form out in solid works using point to point modeling. Which I have done in the past, but for such an expensive machine I would hope it would be simply plug and play.

Thanks for any suggestions

Would anyone happen to know or point me in the right direction in the equation to use for the advanced angle a wheel of x diameter and a part of y diameter has to be so that it will now swipe the flanks as it rotates.
There is a whole section on this in Earle Buckingham, Analytical Mechanics of Gears.

I hope you like math more than me ....

My biggest complaint about Dudley is that he wrote a few books, which are mostly an overlap of each other, but not quite. There is a lot of repeat content, but a few things that only appeared in one book.

Back