What's new
What's new

High Speed Tool Paths for 3 open sides pocket.

aldepoalo

Stainless
Ok so I am looking for some screen shots from all you high speed tool path users. Even though to machine a shoulder I would just use a face/ shell mill and a profile feature, I would like to see some screen shots from different CAM systems on this open pocket.

I am using a 1/2" end mill cutting .25 deep using a max step over of 10%

Geometry Lay out:

sample_part_001.jpg

Tool Path :

Sample_Tool_Path.jpg

Attachments

• HST Test.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Ok so I am looking for some screen shots from all you high speed tool path users. Even though to machine a shoulder I would just use a face mill I would like to see some screen shots from different CAM systems on this open pocket.

I am using a 1/2" end mill cutting .25 deep using a max step over of 10%

Geometry Lay out:

View attachment 88788

Tool Path :

View attachment 88789

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but why are you using a pocket routine for a "side" ?

The software doesn't choose the tool path style you use, the user does... In this example this is what a user choose to do, even though it's clearly a profile routine with a face / shell mill that makes most sense. But that's not really the point,what I am looking for is tool path screen shots from of CAM systems cutting this type of shape. I've attached the DXF file and if you have high speed tool paths that support opening pocketing, it would be great to see what you CAM system produces.

Thanks

Thank you!

That peel mill is a really nice feature that mastercam has.

Watching this video helped me understand the way you select the geometry to get different results.

BobCAD doesn't have peel mill, but you could change the open pocket to only be open on 1 side to get a similar result.

1_open_side.jpg

Correctly me if I am wrong but you only selected 2 lines to create that tool path?

That one looks more like 2 way cutting with a spline link between passes. In BobCAD I can do an advance pocketing with out adaptive and it give me a tool path that looks more like yours. The only difference would be the links, my are at 90 and your are splines...

advance_pocket_open.jpg

What is that tool path called in gibbs? Also thank you for sharing.

Thank you!

That peel mill is a really nice feature that mastercam has.

Watching this video helped me understand the way you select the geometry to get different results.

BobCAD doesn't have peel mill, but you could change the open pocket to only be open on 1 side to get a similar result.

View attachment 88834

Correctly me if I am wrong but you only selected 2 lines to create that tool path?

Peel mill is a nice toolpath, but why is it so hard to machine an open pocket with MasterCam?

Capture.JPG

HyperMILL in SolidWorks, using 2d pocket with HyperMAXX. 12mm end mill, 10% step over. Looks to me like I may have brought in the dxf in the wrong units as my step over looks large compared to Al's.

Matt,

I really like how the tool path is trimmed at the open end of your open pocket. Also you step over looks very evenly spaced. Thank you for sharing. This example does look like it only has 1 open side instead of 3. Could you possibility share a screen shot with 3 open sides? I know it really doesn't make sense to program a part that way, I just want to see how different high speed paths handle a 3 open side pocket.

Matt,

I really like how the tool path is trimmed at the open end of your open pocket. Also you step over looks very evenly spaced. Thank you for sharing. This example does look like it only has 1 open side instead of 3. Could you possibility share a screen shot with 3 open sides? I know it really doesn't make sense to program a part that way, I just want to see how different high speed paths handle a 3 open side pocket.

Capture.JPG

3 open sides, Not sure why it extends the path different amounts. Though I'm pretty new to HyperMILL and haven't used the 2d stuff much. All I have done is give it the pocket as the profile and told it the 3 sides are open.

Back