What's new
What's new

History of CAD ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Is there by chance a book that chronicles the history of CAD ? Who were the earliest people and companies involved in this field, what was their product, who was it for ? Military/aerospace or was architecture/building design a prime mover in the beginning as well ? Developments over the years including the first CAM ? Who started Autodesk, Gibbs, etc and what were their backgrounds/history ?

I suspect the answer is 'no', so the next question is which one of you is qualified and inspired to write it ? ;)

An article on the subject for Invention and Technology magazine would be a good start.

The below link of course chronicles the basics but what is needed is a more "human interest" story with interesting backstories of the people involved.

History of CAD

Interesting link Don.
In the mid ‘70’s, I recall our collage class going on a field trip to Lockheed in Burbank Calf. and touring the plant. One darkened room had large screens were they showed us the L1011 in wireframe. They had the entire plane stored in a mainframe computer. The screen operator would touch the screen in the area of the plane and it would zoom in until he found the part he needed. Seems silly now but then it was amazing. I didn’t have the opportunity to see anything else that could equal that until the mid ‘80’s. CAD really didn’t take off until the PC and AutoCAD came on the seen. Cadkey was the first real 3D modeler on the PC but is not mentioned in the article.

David Weisberg is currently working on the history-of-CAD book. Lots of the oldtimers as well is freshly minted entrepreneurs will be showing up COFES (www.COFES.com) aka Conference on the Future of Engineering Software.

Back