Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the recommended clearance for a Deckel FP2 mill but that's in fantasy land for my shop, I know the minimum and that's around ~1500 mm side ways clearance for the extrem ends of the table travel + what I will need when standing next to it. About as much room in the other axis so a 1500mm square. Roughly speaking...

I know I will have to make do with less than optimal solutions. Might try staggering them as suggested, maybe try something completely different.

What you said about grinding and welding also makes sense. But I am not sure, might make sense to save the bigger space for that space anyway. I would like one day to acquire a smaller surface grinder, that space would probably be best for it, not with the mill and lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Woodworking dust and oily lathes and mills don't play well together. Suggest a door between metal and wood/grinding side. And good dust collection! Second, if you're able- put in some lifting beams/ crane arrangement in the metal shop side ceiling. With as much headroom as you can get. Especially in tight shops like yours and mine, you don't want to waste floor space for forklifts or moving gantrys in and out.

Have fun!

Lucky7

3. Likes AD Design liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my current arrangement plastic shop drapes with overlapp and which hang down to the floor have been IMO as good as doors in stopping dust migration between the two areas the shop is currently divided into.

5. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A strategy that I have used for my very small shop layout is as follows: try to find spaces that can be "doubled up". For example, I overlap milling machine working area and/or lathe working area with hallways or just next to a door opening. One could also double up the working area for the lathe and milling machine assuming you only work one machine at a time.

AND, always think 3D, put stuff up on walls up out of way, use ALL of your vertical space.

AND, always put everything on wheels. You can move your equipment/tables/cabinets etc out of way for more workiing room on any given project.

7. Likes AD Design liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy or Rent by the square foot, use by the cubic foot! Space above the lathe is usable for long storage and gives a place for a long led light. I'd put the lathe at the other end with the tailstock near the end wall. Nothing goes in that end and no mechanism there either. Depending on ceiling height a 4 ft deep mezzanine with ladder access can work all the way a round the shop. We did that in our electrical shop, and our current shop has 18' high pallet racks over all the machines around the walls. Huge amount of storage of things seldom used. Great place for the air compressor, you can shield it for noise and the drain at the bottom is easily accessed.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's an update after going into hibernation. I wanted to complete the renovation of my FP2 to the point that all major parts were reattached again.

From this:

To this:

I had earlier decided on this layout, with the lathe and mill standing next to each other in this fashion. I had to move the lathe anyway to get access to the back in order to service the gear box, now it will always be readily accessible. Last night I had a big move and reorganization. I still have plenty of work to do left though.

Starting by getting as much outside as possible.

Shop crane is indispensible.

Also given that the FP2 is operated from the side this setup made sense to me. I have considered connecting the lathe to the FP2 electrical box to reduce the amount of cables being run across the floor.

Everything is still a bit messy. I am going to remove the lower lumber racks to the right above the woodworking bench, to the right is what I will turn into a cabinet for the kinds of off-cuts I am storing in the rack right now. Most of the tool walls will need to be reorganized, and a partial wall will come up to separate the woodworking and metal sections.