What's new
What's new

how to align model in Fusion 360 so it is square to X or Yaxis

garychipmaker

Cast Iron
HI I'm new to Fusion 360. My problem is when I post the code it has many more program lines as it is moving the straight lines in steps like the model is at an angle. The model is a simple 2*2" square with a 1*1"square centered on top. I aligned the model with the grid lines before posting. Thanks I'm sure it's something simple to fix.

When making a new "Setup" in Fusion for the part, you can choose "Z-axis/plane & X axis" among others. Click a face, and your Z axis will be set normal to that face. Click an edge, and the X axis will be parallel to that edge. You can flip the axes and do other modifications. Play with it and you will see.

You should not be getting stepped lines even if a straight line is at an angle, unless you have an unusual machine that takes an unusual post. Any straight move just needs the beginning and end coordinates. Have you turned on "Smoothing" in the "Passes" tab? If not, that would explain why circular arcs get chopped into a zillion straight moves and your code file gets big, but that issue should not apply to straight features.

You might be better off asking these kinds of questions over in Autodesk's Fusion 360 CAM forum.

The grids in the design workspace are just for visual reference. In the manufacturing workspace you must align your stock as rklopp indicated. After that you start getting into things like tolerance and smoothing functions, and how they interact with the post processor.

I'd say go through some tutorials and head over to Youtube to make sure you've got your workflow correct, then start looking at the details of the toolpaths and post processor.

HI I'm new to Fusion 360. My problem is when I post the code it has many more program lines as it is moving the straight lines in steps like the model is at an angle. The model is a simple 2*2" square with a 1*1"square centered on top. I aligned the model with the grid lines before posting. Thanks I'm sure it's something simple to fix.

put up the fusion file so we can see whats happening.

file type is f3d

export fusion file to f3d.jpg

Don't worry about what you did in the "Design" workspace. You can always orient it in the "Manufacturing" workspace.

When you make a new setup for machining your part, do NOT select "Model Orientation" (probably the default for you). Select one of the others (typically Z/X or Z/Y) and just select those faces, and your coordinate system will be oriented correctly for machining.

axis.jpg

Back