What's new
What's new

How hard is it going to be to make this part with Bobcad V27?

swatkins

Titanium
I need a part for my Axelson lathe and searching for two years has not turned up a single lead on buying one...

My Torq Cut 22 is now running well and I'm thinking of making the part using it instead of manual machining the parts. I figure it's a good learning project at least. I'm on version 27 of Bobcat now ( it will never be higher ) and that is what I'm a little comfortable with. I can draw 2d parts and do toolpaths now but the part I need is going to be best machined in 3d and I have no experience with that.

Basically I'm at the point of learning to draw 3d and wondering if it is time to jump ship to Fusion or stay with a program that I will probably never upgrade. I'm not really happy with Fusion, as a company, after some of their previous stunts and frankly don't trust either software provider right now.

Please take a look at the part and tell me what you think..

The pictures were provided to me by Archie Cheda. Also shown are two pictures of the one he made on manual machines, Nice work Archie!

Attachments

• AX2.jpg
    AX2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 304
  • AX1.jpg
    AX1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 251
  • AX3.jpg
    AX3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 245
  • axelson1.jpg
    axelson1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 238
  • axelson2.jpg
    axelson2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 246
I found bobcad to be horrible software but I am a masterCAM user....you may be better off with fusion as it seems to be more geared towards 3d stuff.

Lawrence Machine Service in Texas specializes in Axelson lathes. I used to have one and they were very helpful.

This is not a complex part. Any CAM software should be able to model AND toolpath this without issue. Fusion, Bobcad, Mastercam...this is an easy part inside of any of those. It always comes down to the user and their education with CAM.

Too many people shit talk certain CAM softwares just because they don't have enough experience in them. I know its shocking but ya, you'll probably be able to make a part faster in software you have 6000 hrs of use with vs the one you have on demo for a week :nutter:

The results of the output have definite and direct relation to the input.

BobCAD is capable of much, MUCH more complex parts than this. For anyone to think that it is any less capable than MasterCAM is more likely not aware of a company called ModuleWorks, what they do, and who their customers are. Fact of the matter is that they are both ridiculously similar in capabilities. They simply have different GUIs to achieve the same result. I have minor issues with some of the things on the turning side of the software, but the milling side is pretty solid. It is also no less 3D capable than Fusion, or most others. Watch the YouTube tutorials and ask questions if you get stumped.

Lawrence Machine Service in Texas specializes in Axelson lathes. I used to have one and they were very helpful.

I have talked with them,, they are only about 40 miles away and of the different parts I have needed they have had nothing to offer in over 2 years :(

I'm also looking for the clutch lever that fits on the apron.. My axelson is a sweet 16 x 30 that was missing that lever and the taper attachment clamp.

Archie was kind enough to send me drawings of the clamp but I have not found any drawings of the lever.

The only problem I see,and not really a problem,,I would use CNC and manual cause I could get it done faster that way
Bob's capable
need help,ask

I've been working on the project and figuring it out as I go... The videos Al puts out are very good (frankly Al is the only reason I'm even giving this software my time and effort) and have answered my questions so far. I have found that there are several ways to accomplish drawing the part in Bob Cad 27 and although the one I picked works, I'm not sure it's the easiest.

Three days ago my main computer went bonkers and after building a replacement I've been loading programs and trying to get back to normal with the backups.

I reloaded Bob-CAD V27, needed to call Bob-CAD to move the licence to the new computer and was just about to call when I received a phone call from them.

A couple of months ago I bought a new phone from AT&T. AT&T has a feature on their service that alerts you to fraud or spam calls and the screen lights up in RED when a call is suspected... When the call came in I saw that it was a RED call and just ignored it. A few minutes later I saw I had a new voice mail and listened to see who it was. Bob-CAD has been flagged by AT&T as a spam number! That has got to hurt a business....

Back