What's new
What's new

How to turn on or blink the machine's "finished" light via gcode?

pMetal

Aluminum
My VMCs each have a light on top which turns on or flashes when the program is complete. The machines are Kitamuras running Fanuc controls.

Currently I am running a program with a stop in the middle so that the operator can check on the condition of a tool before pressing start again to continue the job.

Trouble is, we're wasting a lot of time because it takes a little while until the operator realizes that the machine is sitting there waiting for him to check on it. So I would like to find a way to turn that light on in the middle of the program via a Gcode or Mcode.

Any ideas?

LOL i was like WTH is blink light before I red it.
It is called finish light. only goes on at M30 you can try M02 M00 but I dont think it will work.
So you got to tell your OP to be on it full time...

A possible workaround.

At the start of cycle start at N5, program runs until M30 (light comes on) operator hits go (which starts at N1) and jumps to second half of program.

N1 GOTO100

N5
First half of program runs here.

M30

N100

Second half will run here after the GOTO.

M30

There has to be a better way. But this would work.

LOL i was like WTH is blink light before I red it.
It is called finish light. only goes on at M30 you can try M02 M00 but I dont think it will work.
So you got to tell your OP to be on it full time...

I'm assuming the operator is missing this because he is tending other machines, deburring...? If so I agree with having a timer, easy peasy. If he is just not paying attention (and only running this machine), maybe time for a chat, but I digress.

I think the Haas has a setting to turn the light on at M01 (maybe even an M0?) stops. If you have something similar, maybe block skip the M01/M00 until this particular one?

A possible workaround.

At the start of cycle start at N5, program runs until M30 (light comes on) operator hits go (which starts at N1) and jumps to second half of program.

N1 GOTO100

N5
First half of program runs here.

M30

N100

Second half will run here after the GOTO.

M30

There has to be a better way. But this would work.

...until the operator forgets to arrow down to N5 before starting. Too easy to do when you're on 'autopilot' mode just loading parts and pressing the green button.

If I add an M0 then I also add an M5 to stop the spindle, the distinct noise the 2 VMC's I have make when the spindle stops is enough to get my attention, to alert me either to change tools (on one VMC) or check condition of tool etc etc.

most cnc blink yellow on M0 or M1, usually red light is alarm light like expired tool alarm. possible you can give code to cause an alarm. or give tool change on tool not in tool magazine. obviously it will stop cnc usually with blinking red light cause of missing tool
obviously M30 will reset many cnc to startup defaults like G54, G49, G40, G80, F0. unless that is turned off, it also usually clears variables 1 to 33, sometimes more variables depending on machine settings. i would be wary of M30
M0, M1 turns spindle off and coolant. many cnc you have to turn back on. tried that tapping a set of holes. tap dont work too well if it aint turning going into hole

How are these things driven? Macros or are they hard-written into the ladder?

I know one shop with a mess of robot loaded Robodrills cutting knife locking faces. Since the faces are only .125" long, they use macros to take 100 or so cuts, index the tool down .125" and use a fresh length of the flute. When the tool is worn out, the same macro switches to an identical and fresh tool in the turret. It's all very slick.

The system also uses the work light to indicate the end mill status. Halfway through tool 2, it fires off the yellow light. Halfway through tool 3, it sets off the red one. Operators can know the tool status at any time just by looking at the row. If the machine alarms out, it flashes the red.

That's gotta be all macros and light M-codes, right?

Thank you all for the great suggestions. For now I am going with Red James' suggestion to have the operator use a timer. Later down the road if time allows I will look at programming a M code to actuate a relay to operate a buzzer or another light.

And yes, as DMF_TomB said, the M0 causes the coolant to turn off, and it doesn't turn back on when the operator presses the start button again. I have a manual M08 inserted after the stop to turn the coolant back on when the operator presses the start button. Found that out the hard way, but thankfully, it was carbide cutting stainless in a situation where the chips were able to evacuate sufficiently on their own and all was well.

Ultimately I am hoping to install a touch probe and do some in-process inspection to make sure that the tool did its job prior to proceeding (meaning that it isn't broken). This way there won't be a need to stop the machine and have the operator check. But for now, a simple timer will have to do!

Get a Staples easy button or something equally stupid and have the machine poke it before pausing.

Bonus points for creativity here. Squeeky toy? Air horn? Nails on a chalkboard?

That's gotta be all macros and light M-codes, right?

On my Robo with 31i A control, the machine status light is configurable in the Maintenance section of the “Quick NC” button. Since Fanuc is the MTB in this case, they expose that part of the ladder as configurable.

For the OP this will require a parameter change at best, a change to the ladder at worst. I don’t think the ladder change would be hard, just need to find someone to do it.

I have experienced some CNC machines that need their "PAT Light" enabled. I don't remember where it was (parameters, ladder etc.).

if you have a long run with a particular tool and worried it will be expired or dull normally you just put it back in tool magazine and call it out again. normally machine will grab tool with the least time left. when tool is expired it looks for another tool. quite common to have 2 of the same tools in magazine if going to be milling for hours
many cnc if a tool change problem like missing tool or all tools expired you get a flashing red light and any M0 or M1 which stops cycle you get flashing yellow light.
if i want a cnc to stop but not immediately stop i put the tool magazine in manual mode. when next tool change is given the tool magazine will not move cause its in manual mode so cnc just stops waiting for tool magazine eventually it will time out with alarm

Get a Staples easy button or something equally stupid and have the machine poke it before pausing.

Bonus points for creativity here. Squeeky toy? Air horn? Nails on a chalkboard?

Pleasant chime as signal one. Air horn is signal two, after 5 seconds. And if the operator isn't there in 15 seconds lay on the horn continuously...

Just make sure the horn actuator is in a place where normal setup/or homing travel doesn't actuate it.

Back