What's new
What's new

HSMWorks/Fusion Cam - method to clear cache?

Mike RzMachine

Cast Iron
When I update various settings in tool paths or jobs in HSMworks running inside solidworks, about 95% of the time it adjusts the toolpath to those updates. The 5% of the time it doesn't update is killing me for time. For example, I updated a simple job from referencing a piece of square stock to round stock. It took several forced regens and toggling settings in the tool path to get the 3d adaptive tool path to update to follow the newer stock shape. I have this happen often when changing from peck to full retraction drill cycles and a few other functions, especially 3d finishing paths. I can sometimes resolve these issues by creating a new tool path from scratch, or just restarting everything. Neither is practical for the number of times this happens per session.

Is there some way to force the software to clear cache or whatever happens at the low level to get rid of these lingering remnants of old tool path solutions? I'm thinking of something more fundamental than the generate toolpath/ctrl-G function.

I'm curious if any of you have this issue and if you found a solution.

Thanks,
Mike

@Mike Rz Machine

So more info is needed!?

1) Are you programming in a part or assembly file?

2) are you using configurations?

3) are you using sketches or solids for your stock?

4) Are you constantly suppressing\un-suppressing features?

Remember both SW and HSMworks are updating the changes so if SW hasn't finished it delays or will not update the toolpath.

I use HSMWorks everyday since 2011\12 ish

In the first window of the toolpath creation box, you can choose local or system tools so you can limit how those tool paths update with tool modifications. This may or may not be what you are asking but it has bitten me in the ass enough. I don't have Fusion open so my terminology may be off.

In the first window of the toolpath creation box, you can choose local or system tools so you can limit how those tool paths update with tool modifications. This may or may not be what you are asking but it has bitten me in the ass enough. I don't have Fusion open so my terminology may be off.

he is using SolidWorks and HSMWorks not Fusion, different UI for the CAD side.

@Mike Rz Machine

So more info is needed!?

1) Are you programming in a part or assembly file?

2) are you using configurations?

3) are you using sketches or solids for your stock?

4) Are you constantly suppressing\un-suppressing features?

Remember both SW and HSMworks are updating the changes so if SW hasn't finished it delays or will not update the toolpath.

I use HSMWorks everyday since 2011\12 ish

1) I program in an assembly file to allow me to track clearance to the vise or fixture. I always use CTRL-Q in solidworks to rebuild the model at the assembly level after any change.

2)I do to allow suppressing the stock solid and fillets/chamfers in the part file. I frequently rebuild the active configuration of the part and assembly.

3)I model the stock in the part file as an un-merged body. for simpler operations i'll sometimes use a relative size box.

4)I get everything sorted in cad prior to starting on the cam side, but typically make a few changes in cad for details i need to address for cam. I've typically rebuilt at the part level, then again at the assembly level, then regenerate the cam tool paths. One place I can point to where it seems that the cad data input into cam is not updating are if the stock solid size or shape changes. Strictly within the cam side, I've added a drill cycle, let it generate the tool path as drilling-rapid out, then go back to change to deep drilling-full retract. The cam tool path in the design tree will show the label 'deep drilling' but the posted g code will be a simple drilling cycle with no pecking/retracting. In this case, if i delete the drill cycle in the cam tree, then create a brand new one, it typically posts properly.

On the SW then HSMWorks updating, have you found a way to force the sequence so solidworks completely finishes its update then HSMworks starts its update?

I look forward to hearing your experience with this, thank you

As far as I can tell, HWMworks makes a copy of each tool i pick from my system tool library, and that copy is what is used for a particular job. If i make an update in my system tool library after creating a tool path, the system tool change does not propagate to the job level operations unless i open that tool path and select the system tool after the change.

Mike RzMachine;3754712
1) I program in an assembly file to allow me to track clearance to the vise or fixture. I always use CTRL-Q in solidworks to rebuild the model at the assembly level after any change.

2)I do to allow suppressing the stock solid and fillets/chamfers in the part file. I frequently rebuild the active configuration of the part and assembly.

So are you dropping an instance of each configuration of the part in the assembly, meaning if you have 4 configs, you put it in the assembly 4 time at each config?
or is it just one part with sharp edges?

3)I model the stock in the part file as an un-merged body. for simpler operations i'll sometimes use a relative size box.

I do not make stock in the part file, I make my stock in the assembly , make it a virtual component this way the stock isn't connected to the part file it is only connected to the HSMWorks side of things.

4)I get everything sorted in cad prior to starting on the cam side, but typically make a few changes in cad for details i need to address for cam. I've typically rebuilt at the part level, then again at the assembly level, then regenerate the cam tool paths. One place I can point to where it seems that the cad data input into cam is not updating are if the stock solid size or shape changes. Strictly within the cam side, I've added a drill cycle, let it generate the tool path as drilling-rapid out, then go back to change to deep drilling-full retract. The cam tool path in the design tree will show the label 'deep drilling' but the posted g code will be a simple drilling cycle with no pecking/retracting. In this case, if i delete the drill cycle in the cam tree, then create a brand new one, it typically posts properly.

SEE #3 think may me the stock in the part issue

On the SW then HSMWorks updating, have you found a way to force the sequence so solidworks completely finishes its update then HSMworks starts its update?

Yes, turn off auto regen of tool path under HSMWorks Options or Protect the toolpath and it will not update until you force it too

I look forward to hearing your experience with this, thank you

Back