I need a post processor, or machine definition?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I need a post processor, or machine definition?

I'm at a new job and I'm supposed to be programming a Haas vertical mill soon. Problem is the Mastercam software I have does not have a Haas machine loaded into the program. Am I needing a post processor, or machine definition? Os are they the same? I found something on a website that has a list of 'post processors' and they had 1 download for a Haas, but unfortunately the file says "Mastercam X5 MMD". This is not for x5 so that may be why it doesn't show up under the machine selection. Help!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is this your personal copy of Mastercam or the companies? If it's the companies, what have they been using up to this point? If the company is up to date on their maintenance, all you, or someone there, should have to do is call the Mastercam sales rep and get a HAAS post. If it's a simple 3-axis post, there shouldn't be any cost. I'm sure there are posts out on the web but can't vouch for their validity.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RCS Machine View Post
    Is this your personal copy of Mastercam or the companies? If it's the companies, what have they been using up to this point? If the company is up to date on their maintenance, all you, or someone there, should have to do is call the Mastercam sales rep and get a HAAS post. If it's a simple 3-axis post, there shouldn't be any cost. I'm sure there are posts out on the web but can't vouch for their validity.
    This one is mine. Does the definition change with the program version?

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This one is mine. Does the definition change with the program version?
    If it's not a cracked version then just get the post from your reseller. I would advise against using post downloaded from torrent sites or over at the Zone. Lots of those "Free" post have surprises in them like sudden Z rapid gouges. This is getting quite common to deter thieves from using stolen software. I'm not a Mastercam user but it being the most popular pirated CAM software in the States I would be terrified to run a post other than the one supplied from mastercam (Unless you know how to mod and inspect post).

As far as the machine definition, that's more of a visual aid as far as I know.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A member here has a post builder tutorial of sorts for Mastercam. A Fanuc generic 3 axis post should work well enough until you get it sorted.

I don't know how to insert a file, I have the one from that guys free online "channel"...?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What machine definitions do you have?

As far as definitions go, anything 3 axis mill is going to fit the bill, as the settings are going to be mostly inconsequential. You definitely have the "default" machine definition. Problem is, you can't use the "default" machine definition with a Haas post processor. You can only use MPFAN post processor with the default definition. That's fine if you know what you're doing to edit the MPFAN post to meet the needs of the Haas.

If you have other machine definitions though, you ought to be able to change to the post processor you want - 3X Haas VMC in this case. Gotta call your reseller up and grab it. Shouldn't cost anything.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dodgin are you saying I cannot use the 'default mill' for a haas?
    All I have is a haas machine and control definition that are too old. so it looks like cannot grab a coworkers files for this version

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A member here has a post builder tutorial of sorts for Mastercam. A Fanuc generic 3 axis post should work well enough until you get it sorted.

I don't know how to insert a file, I have the one from that guys free online "channel"...?

You can download the post manual from my website. It's pretty intuitive......

File Downloads –

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy W Bush View Post
    dodgin are you saying I cannot use the 'default mill' for a haas?
    All I have is a haas machine and control definition that are too old. so it looks like cannot grab a coworkers files for this version
    I'm saying you can normally mix and match your machine definitions with different post processors. If you use the default mill selection you are not able to use any post processor besides MPFAN.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dodgin View Post
    I'm saying you can normally mix and match your machine definitions with different post processors. If you use the default mill selection you are not able to use any post processor besides MPFAN.
    I'm not sure what that is and it sounds like from this thread I won't be able to get the processor or definition, unless someone has one.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure what that is and it sounds like from this thread I won't be able to get the processor or definition, unless someone has one.
    Why don't you just get it from your dealer?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mastercam has included a Haas machine def and post for as long as I can remember. Well, as long as machine defs have been a thing. Because I remember before that.

If you cant figure out how to get a machine def going, how did you swing a job running MCam anyhow?

13. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GENERALDISARRAY View Post
    Mastercam has included a Haas machine def and post for as long as I can remember. Well, as long as machine defs have been a thing. Because I remember before that.

If you cant figure out how to get a machine def going, how did you swing a job running MCam anyhow?
    Are you making snarky comments? What does that have anything to do with me landing a job? An employer typically provides a working copy.
    I was using Mastercam at my previous job. It was a copy they had. I don't have a "dealer" because the NEW job I am at is not even close to up to date on a copy of mastercam. My copy is newer. They have another guy programming for 3 people including him. A definition can get me up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Use the Haas post included with Mastercam it’s rock solid.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Why don't you just get it from your dealer?
    I doubt there is a dealer.

17. Likes g-coder05, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GENERALDISARRAY View Post

Are you making snarky comments? What does that have anything to do with me landing a job? An employer typically provides a working copy.
    I was using Mastercam at my previous job. It was a copy they had. I don't have a "dealer" because the NEW job I am at is not even close to up to date on a copy of mastercam. My copy is newer. They have another guy programming for 3 people including him. A definition can get me up and running.
    Where to start..? When I started at current job, one of the first things I did was update the post for us and "our" machines..... A little google and PM got me a post I was happy with.

If you can't make minor edits to your post processor and/or machine definition...?

edit: One of the first ? asked to me was "can you change this xxx?". Yes, give me some time and I will get it done. DONE.. "awesome! asked the last 3 guys and they couldn't do it" Not bragging, just stating something you should be able to do with experience with software....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BALNH View Post
    Use the Haas post included with Mastercam it’s rock solid.
    The Mastercam 3-axis Haas post that comes with the software is not completely rock solid. The one they give out doesn't reset to G17 automatically at each tool change. I had a nice crash from that when it went from surfacing in toolpath that left the control state in the G19 plane to the next operation. It did a tool change to a drill cycle, went nice and deep in to a custom 4th axis fixture on the first hole, and then sideways because it still thought +Z was +Y

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If YOU have a personal copy of Mastercam then you should have a reseller who you got it from that can help you get settled in with it.

If you're admitting in open forum that you don't have a reseller who you can contact to help with a simple post and machine definition then you're simultaneously admitting you have a pirated copy, and you won't find any help here.

21. Likes Rewt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was using Mastercam at my previous job. It was a copy they had. I don't have a "dealer"
    You have a pirated version of Mastercam. You can't just get a copy of it.
    Even the HLE version expires I believe but you can't post from it. So that means either you stole their hasp or you are using a cracked/pirated version of Mastercam.

Sorry bub, go fuck yourself, I don't help thieves.

23. Likes ChipSplitter, metal-ica liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    You have a pirated version of Mastercam. You can't just get a copy of it.
    Even the HLE version expires I believe but you can't post from it. So that means either you stole their hasp or you are using a cracked/pirated version of Mastercam.

Sorry bub, go fuck yourself, I don't help thieves.

I suspected this for awhile, but refrained from saying it....

Hey guys, doesn't MasterCam offer rewards for reporting pirated software? Some companies do........we just need the OP's IP address.