What's new
What's new

I ordered Alibre...

Kevin Wilkins

Cast Iron
Well, I finally broke down and ordered Alibre to get on with 3D design work... It looked like the only affordable alternative for designing my folding knives.

I'll post my experiences when I receive the software and get it up and running.

The dealer here is located in Austria and they have been very helpful so far...

(cue old Dragnet music...)

We'll see how things go after the sale!

I debated getting Rhino but decided I liked the look and feel of Alibre better.

Hi kevin,

Alibre and Rhino are complementary tools. (I have both) Alibre is very similar to solidworks, (parametric mechanical design tool)and Rhino is great for freeform surfaces. I think Alibre is easier to learn but that might be because I already knew SolidWorks when I got it. It is a good tool and you will probably love it. If you need cam software I think visualMill makes plugins for both alibre and Rhino.

I'm not so sure. I tried importing an IGES file that contained surfaces, points, and curves into Alibre. Only the surfaces came in. The exact same file in SolidWorks 2007 had everything.

Has anyone else noticed that Alibre won't import curves and points? Or is that just a limitation of Alibre Xpress?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

You may want to check the options tab on your import software. Sometimes they offer you the option of importing everything or just those things you want.

Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes, I looked at that, but didn't see any options to bring in non-surface related data.

I know in previous versions that Alibre could not import these objects. We talked to someone at Alibre about this, and he said it would be added down the road. Maybe version 9 is not far enough down the road yet.

Dan

Kevin - there's a pretty good Alibre User Forum in case you need help.

Dan B - I've got the latest version of Alibre Expert (9.1) and can attempt to import a sample IGES file if you'd like.

Mike

Thanks for the offer, Mike. Right now I have posted my concerns on the Alibre forum. I'll give it a few days to see if someone can explain how (or if) it can be done.

If that doesn't work out, I'll take you up on your offer.

We have a 2 week demo going for SolidWorks right now, and I'm doing a parallel demo with Alibre (only the Xpress version, but the version with shelling and translators). I see a lot of similarities between the programs, and a lot of differences too. SolidWorks has a lot of bells and whistles, but you pay for it. The cost of fully implementing SWX at our shop, with training, is pretty scary.

Dan

The cost of fully implementing SWX at our shop, with training, is pretty scary.
Well, there are 2 theories on how to approach this situation:

1) do the right thing - buy the tool you need, and that your customer wants - and pay for it

2) Do as Airbus - do whatever you can for short-term gain, and blame the software later

:D :D :D

We originally approached this with the idea of buying 3 seats with training for our top designers. After they work with it for a month or so, we would add a couple more, and over the next several months slowly make the transition. We've done that before when changing software (Cadkey to Rhino) and it worked out very well.

Unfortunately the approach now is to buy all of them up front with training for everyone at once. Besides a price tag that would raise anyone's eyebrows, there is the issue of lost productivity as everyone is getting up to speed at the same time. The resellers are pushing us in this direction, but I think it may a mistake.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

Dan

Dan

Wouldn't a network license server be a good option for you guys? How many designers at a time and how many shifts?

Yes, we are looking at buying network licenses. When all is said and done, we will need around 20 seats, some stand-alone and some network.

Dan

Unfortunately the approach now is to buy all of them up front with training for everyone at once. Besides a price tag that would raise anyone's eyebrows, there is the issue of lost productivity as everyone is getting up to speed at the same time. The resellers are pushing us in this direction, but I think it may a mistake.
Lost productivity is no issue. It's a cost associated with doing business. It has to be dealt with accordingly.

More companies get themselves into trouble by doing what I like to call "half-ass" integrations than you can imagine. You end up with 40% of your guys working on the "new" system, 60% working on the "old" system, and personnel, IF they're turning over, are usually turning over on the "new" program. So you lose your valuably trained "new" system guys, and end up not teaching your "old" system users, all the while making excuses about how you don't have time, or it's more efficient to use the "old" system, when in fact, you're supposed to ALL be going to the "new" system, anyway, and you're falling further behind the eight-ball everyday! (whew!)

This is a classic management blunder, played out so many times everyday. Whatever you need to do, you should just do it, and put it behind you. You have to pay for it sooner or later. And, even though it was a sarcastic crack, the Airbus example is the ULTIMATE illustration of what I'm talking about. (it's usually more expensive later)

You don't. Any good businessman knows that.
That is very true Failsafe you wouldn't BUT as you know customers get comfy with your lead times and then when it's extended by 1-2weeks you just know your going to get a call and you have to be ready with something.....

When all is said and done, we will need around 20 seats, some stand-alone and some network.
Doing them all at once and training etc could well prove to be a big mistake. On a much smaller scale we have done a similar exercise here from NCG to Rhino/EdgeCAM and even with training and sound advice it's had a big impact on our deliveries... :(

Whatever...Im sure you will figure it out Dan

Paul

There is a strategy to everything. Anyone who is smart enough to execute any degree of capacity planning (such as in a machine shop) can surely get employees trained.

Who said do it ALL at once? Here is some sound advice:

1) get your most capable people trained first.
2) INSIST on reseller support during your training. (it is the least they can do)
3) plan your transition with some relaxation in your work cycle. (MAKE some time)
4) DO NOT keep working dual systems! (wean yourself from one or the other)

I am a consultant, and have seen bad strategies in planning, implementation, and execution. These are my top pieces of advice. Whatever you do, just think long term - NOT short term.

Back