What's new
What's new

I want to learn CAD/CAM but how

scrapdaddy

Aluminum
I have been a machinist for 23 years both cnc and manual, production and job shop and at one job they taught me Gibbs and I learned it well for about a year. I would like to get back into it but there are so many different software companies out there and everyone wants experience in different softwares how can I get back into it?

buy a student version of which ever package you want to use. usally a couple hundred bucks. But you will not be able to post your results. So who knows if what your doing will work. so you have to use there verifying functions to get an idea as to what is going to happen at the machine.

Community Colleges teach Cad Cam. Several in my area do. I've taken many courses in this area. The tutition is reasonable as well.

Try the Tech schools as well. I've taken classes in Cad Cam there too. The fee was about $250.

dear scrapdaddy
I have some experiences in Pro/e,UG,Mastercam,Autocad,if you need some data or help,please sent E-MAIL to me ,i hope i can help you something.

scrapdaddy,

Colleges have night programs for CNC. Mine does.

Also some good usefull stuff to start re-learning:

HAAS CNC Mill Book.
http://www.haascnc.com/training/MillProgram_PDF/xmwb.pdf

HAAS CNC G and M Code Refrence Chart For Mills.
http://www.haascnc.com/training/MillProgram_PDF/xMGMCard.pdf

Both have been great helps to me when we learnt G-Code :D

Also NC Plot is great. :D They are developing Version 2 now and have the beta out and they also have Version 1.1 out for Free downloading.

http://www.ncplot.com/

My college starts off teaching G-Code then goes on to Mastercam so you might be stuck learning G-Code agian.

Dimitri

Another option if you want to learn about different software is to download the new "E" version of Delcam's modeling software. It is basically a hybrid modeller and has all of the features enabled with no expiration or limitations. The only "limitation" I think is that if you want to machine a part, you have to pay a small fee to export the part if you want something other than IGES.

Just a thought.

Larry

Another thing to consider is look around/ask around the area you would like to work in and find out what shops/companies are programming in. If everyone is using Mastercam it's useless to learn another system. In my area many big companies are using Catia because that's what most of the aerospace co's design in...but one may be hard-pressed to find a school teaching that. The local community college doesn't even offer machining/CADCAM/machine tool anything...seems odd.

My name is Olivia I am a PLM Consultant at Swoosh Technologies partnered with Siemens. Just wanted to reach out if you are still interested in training CAD/CAM training Our Siemens PLM training starts with results in mind and is driven by the process – not the clicks and menu picks that make up traditional training.
With over 15 years of delivering process-based Siemens PLM training, our team of knowledgeable instructors can help you better leverage your program tools. Whether you’re a beginner or at an advanced level, expect to go beyond the basics of Siemens PLM software tools. Count on Swoosh Technologies Educational Services to help you go beyond the basics.

WAYS TO TRAIN WITH US
IN THE CLASSROOM
Join our certified instructors in a classroom environment when you choose from our online schedule. Expect the tools you need to excel to the next level with your software.
Virtual Student
Onsite (must have minimum of 6 users)

If you are interested in knowing more you may email me at [email protected] or call me at 314-549-8151

-Best
Olivia

My goal is to either contract cnc programs or work for a company as a full time programer

MCC aka Mesa Community Collage has a great program, Jerry Lacey is the instructor for the evening courses in MasterCAM, HSMWorks\Inventor HSM\Fusion 360 (they all use the sameish data base), SolidCAM.

I have known him since 2002 and he also works here at ASU as a machinist in the research machine shop as well as training students to use manual mills and lathes so they can make their course projects.

he also instructs SolidWorks at MCC.

great instructor

Back