What's new
What's new

Im totally lost

olddude

Stainless
First let me say I am an analog dude, no CNC wizardry.
I need a program where I can made basic blueprints of gears, shafts and othe basic machine shop items.
What is a good cheap program for this and how do I learn to use it? I have downloaded some free junk but I might as well have playing with an etch o sketch. I really need some instruction on how to use it. Any ideas?

Are you asking about just CAD or are you going to use the geometry to program from?
If you just need a basic cad program, there are LOTS of 2d cad systems out there. Get as many free trials as you can and test them to see which one offers the features you like.
If you are going to use this is business...I would think very seriously about 3d instead such as Solidworks.
If for business, you need to be compatable with your customers and suppliers
Jim

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the free CAD programs, even downloaded one but how do you use it? How do you draw with it. None of these free programs says how to use it. It's just for personal use.

If you present yourself as a serious buyer, you will be able to get yourself a free 30 day demo from many of the resellers.

Once you have the 30 day demo, you should be able to save, use help, and even access the tutorials that many have included with the help docs.

I've learned CAD systems just in this manner before. Although, in all fairness, you should have some CAD background when attempting this. (or lots of time on your hands)

Is there a vocational school, or community college where you are at, that would let you "audit" a class, or let you use the CAD lab after hours? If there is, it's not a bad idea to do that, and use what they are using...

why "audit"? just suck it up and take it regular. many offer night courses.

the de-facto standard is/was autocad. once you are student it is fairly cheap at the bookstore.

I teach Pro/E at a community college.

Maybe we can get Paula to chime in here?
jim
PS, I just bought TurboCad Designer around xmas time. Way over my head thus far although it looks to be good for the money 29.95

why "audit"? just suck it up and take it regular. many offer night courses.

I teach Pro/E at a community college.
The answer to the your first statement, lies in your second: the difference between an instructor and a student - the student PAYS, and the instructor GETS PAID.

One should never assume that someone is a cheapskate. Perhaps they just may not have the means, and seek an economic alternative? It happens...

the de-facto standard is/was autocad. once you are student it is fairly cheap at the bookstore.
I agree with this. And being able to audit a course may prove the software valuable enough to sell a student copy, which may later sell a seat proper.

I think Don's onto something there. I have Ashlar Vellum running on an old, old PowerMac...circa 1993 :eek:

It still works, still is handy.

Only problem is my printer lunched itself so all I can do is sit there and admire my pretty designs :D

Pretty caveman, eh? :D I guess I adapted to this...using CAD to do layout and "play" with things like hole centers, gear pitch diameters and locations, figure out which screw and pin sizes will work when there isn't much "meat". Layout base circles for "bolt circle" type drillings and/or tappings.

Once I have the design I "download" the critical info via ballpoint pen (pencil smears too bad!) into my notebook and it's off to the shop.

-Matt

Matt

All you should need is a PostScript capable printer to get up and running. You can easily connect it to the Mac, I'm sure there are generic PS drivers.
The Brother HL1440 may run you about $150, and good enough for 5000+ laser prints.
When done, just switch it over to the PC and keep printin'.

failsafe, it cost the same to audit. so why not actually go to class? -all of them.

"audit" is usually associated with people who know it allready but for some requirement need that credit so they pay their $ and take the final.

Classes at ICC are $55 a credit hour. my class is 3 credit hours. don't know what rate or availability olddude has in his area, but community college is CHEAP learning.

I also "teach" the same material in a professional corporate format. 90 hours of material condensed into 3 days. -for which you pay over $1,500 to try and keep up with me.

My apologies to you - I may have the wrong terminology.

What is the proper term for being able to sit in (at no cost) classes, for no credit, and with no actual hands-on participation?

I saw people do this several times in classes way back in the day...

Hey to all -- Bob/Cad cam user for the last 4 years ! Started with ver 18. - then 19. - now using ver 20.6 -- Have attended the instuctional seminars, where the instuctor answered many questions, and showed me some of the most efficient ways to generate toolpath. I am a support on demand member ( $ 195.00 a year fee ) and have had nothing but great success with this software ! My partner is certified on Pro-E -and yes Bob/Cad is not the same animal as this software. But for many shops, especially smaller shops--Bob/Cad is a win/win purchace !!!! They continue to refine certain areas of their software, to make it better and better. So all of you bashers -bash on - and I'll keep making shavings, and generating toolpath ,that was simply impossible for my "small shop" to create before Bob/Cad !!!

Later -- R

"""
and I'll keep making shavings,
"""

Chips. We'll keep making chips.
Shavings is what we make when we screw up on the "extra" side to get the part right.

Most of us here are smart enough to know there is a 95 percent chance that "Rusty Nails" being his first post here, sounding like a ad and all, is a Bobcad employee of some sort. So, I'll leave it up for the humor effect and to compare IP addresses to the next time he pops up in with another identity. :rolleyes:

I guess this would be one of the reasons why you don't allow signature files on this foruum? (sorry if I sounded like a salesman when I asked)

Back