What's new
What's new

Importing 3D Model into MasterCam and Nesting Multiple Part Files

mpuvdd

Plastic
Hey everyone,

Is it even possible to import 3D models into an existing MasterCam file? Here's the scenario.

1. You spent valuable time writing a program to cut Part1 on your CNC router.

2. Now you have another part, Part2, that you need to write a CAM file for and you want to nest this part with Part1 in the final program.

3. Within nesting, you go to parts -> "add operation clusters from files" (see attached image). You choose Part1 file and nothing imports. For some reason this doesn't work at all. Thanks MasterCam.

4. You try another route. You open the Part1 mcam file and "export all operations and geometry."

5. You go back to you Part2 mcam file. You right click on the left pane (other attached image) and click "import toolpath operations." You choose the Part1 .mcam-operations file that you just exported in step 4 and MasterCam says it can't import 3d geometry. The operations all get imported, but they no longer have chains associated with them becuase MasterCam didn't import the 3d model!

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks for your time,

Seth

Attachments

• NestingOptions.jpg
    NestingOptions.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 207
  • ImportRightClick.jpg
    ImportRightClick.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 237
i have imported 3D model then
create curves and select edges. be careful as radiused or rounded edges make it difficult to select edges.
worse is .010 rounded corners or edges and you dont see because small and you end up .010" off from expected
even holes you end up creating curves at edges of holes that way you can select the holes by selecting the curves basically wirefreame you put in or on the 3D file

Yes, Mastercam can import solids into an existing file...would be useless if you couldn't.

Yes, you can nest parts within other parts, within the main sheet.

If you want to import a saved operations geometry then check the box to do so. Sometime reading the menu in front of you can be very helpful.

Yes, Mastercam can import solids into an existing file...would be useless if you couldn't.

Yes, you can nest parts within other parts, within the main sheet.

If you want to import a saved operations geometry then check the box to do so. Sometime reading the menu in front of you can be very helpful.

I have read the menu goooose. Checking the "import saved operations geo" box does not import 3d model geometry. Does yours?

In the Toolpath window select the operations you want to save then right click and "Export". You will get a file save style menu so you can choose where to save the operations. In the new file right click again and "Import" from the saved operations file. I use it for family parts all the time. As far as I know you will still have to use "Save Some" and "Merge" for the geometry.

In the Toolpath window select the operations you want to save then right click and "Export". You will get a file save style menu so you can choose where to save the operations. In the new file right click again and "Import" from the saved operations file. I use it for family parts all the time. As far as I know you will still have to use "Save Some" and "Merge" for the geometry.

And then rechain to the merged geometry? Thanks William!

UPDATE: It seems that Mastercam corrupted the original file. Since then, I have gone through and saved a separate Mcam file for each part respectively. I now have a parent Mcam file that has one nesting operation pulling "operation clusters" from each child file.
To my surprise, the nesting operation actually imported the original 3d parts from the child files.

Now I can just run one program and choose the quantities of each part to nest into a sheet on my router. Hope this helps someone in the future.

I remembered last night that there is an option to save the geometry with the operations when exporting. I don't use it that way so I'm not sure exactly what you get, just adding the info in case it's of use.
I'm happy to hear that you have a process worked out. Getting those sorts of things set up will save you tons of time and head scratching in the future.

I remembered last night that there is an option to save the geometry with the operations when exporting. I don't use it that way so I'm not sure exactly what you get, just adding the info in case it's of use.
I'm happy to hear that you have a process worked out. Getting those sorts of things set up will save you tons of time and head scratching in the future.

Thanks William. It turns out that exporting geometry with operations does not actually export 3d geometry, only wireframe. This would be a good revision to add to Mastercam.

It only exports the geometry associated with the toolpath. So if you had a toolpath driven by even just one edge of the solid it will export/import the solid also.
You could add a dummy operation that does nothing but uses the solid to drive it. That would also export the solid if you exported all ops.

AG

Cntl drag/drop
Shift drag/drop
... Couple more ways to get models into mastercam.

Once you have a method perfected you can either save it to defaults and or save it as an operation file for later import. Or just save the MC file somewhere and us it for a template, to import geometry into.

It's pretty cool on rare occasions to crunch a program for 30min the runs for 12 hrs.

Back