What's new
What's new

Increase cavity by X and Y in SolidCAM

junior1505

Plastic
Greetings of the day, Experts.
Need a peculiar solution in Solidcam (addon with Solidworks).
Have a cavity in the model and using it for cam program in our Hot Forging Dies. Depending of the type of forging and forging equipment, we have to either increase the cavity or decrease as compensation.
To compensate the shrinkage allowance of the hot forged component, we would like to enlarge the cavity in X and Y axis by the desired value ranging from 0.2 to 0.6 mm in the cam program. We have tried using the Boundary-Tool Relation with selection of Internal or Centered and offset value as 0.3. But the cavity is not enlarging by 0.3/0.6mm.
is there any other option to enlarge or decrease the cavity only in the program with the model as constant. That would be helpful.
Please render your support, guidance and help in this regard.
Regards.

I know nothing about solidcam, but in every cam package Ive used, a negative stock to leave value tends to do the trick.
Of course, this will be dependant on geometry and tool corner radius.

I know nothing about solidcam, but in every cam package Ive used, a negative stock to leave value tends to do the trick.

Some of the toolpaths in SolidCam will not accept a negative value for stock to leave but there are several other ways of accomplishing this.

What tool path is the OP using?

Might be easier to do it the Solidworks model. I know you said you want this as constant, but surface offsets and/or scaling of the cavity model section (on it's own) is pretty straightforward, and leaves the rest of the model untouched. And you can always backup the original to reference?

cutter compensation in the cam side? make the cutter used smaller to force it larger either on the program or the machine its used on.
Dear @BTFabrication,
Appreciate your reply and suggestion.
Searching for a smaller cutter to compensate the cavity to enlarge is not a good option, for the reason that the compensation would be around 0.2 to 0.6 mm and from the HSR to HSM, we usually use about 1 roughing, 2 rest roughing and 1 finishing program and it would be tedious in allocating the required cutter in the ATC.
Regards.

Dear @macds,
Appreciate your reply and opinion,
Yes, even i did think so, but in vain. Solidcam has no such facility or feature to start with.
Secondly, as rightly pointed out by you, even tried by allowing negative values for the FLOOR and WALL, but that too did not prove my point or requirement.
Regards.

Some of the toolpaths in SolidCam will not accept a negative value for stock to leave but there are several other ways of accomplishing this.

What tool path is the OP using?

Greetings of the day, @Hardplates,
For most of the die cavities, i do employ, 1 countor roughing, 2 rest roughing and 1 3d constant stepover or Hybrid constant Z or Constant Z. I prefer always using Bull Nose Cutters instead of Ball Nose cutters.
Regards.

Might be easier to do it the Solidworks model. I know you said you want this as constant, but surface offsets and/or scaling of the cavity model section (on it's own) is pretty straightforward, and leaves the rest of the model untouched. And you can always backup the original to reference?
Greetings of the day, @PeterNeill,
Appreciate the suggestion and message.
It is indeed a very good thought.
Well, that thought did occur to me by creating a configuration in Solidworks as against the Forged component with adding of compensation which eventually can be used in the CAVITY command during the die assembly. But it did so happen that each forging equipment creates a different impact and various grades have otherwise some bearing on the final component.
The Chemistry of the material does play a predominant part in the forging and changes in some of the elements do pose some issues.
Hence we did resort to having something in Solidcam, wherein the data for the operations, models, cavities and its operations are tabulated and saved for all.
Regards.

Back