What's new
What's new

Interested in Learning Apt.

RobPervier

Plastic
I am interested in learning Apt in my free time. There is not very much information on the internet for training or walk throughs. Where might I be able to download the Apt application/interface?

As far as I know Apt kind of died with the invention of computer graphics and CAM systems. What would be the purpose of learning it now?

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

30 years ago I had to take a nightschool course in ADAPT.

Nowadays, isn't there an "APT App" ?.....:D

Durham College circa 2000/2001 we spent probably 2 weeks learning about APT. And punch tape..... So relevant in today's industry. That's about all I can offer. I don't have any of my old course notes around or I'd send them to you free of charge.

Oh, and a whole course on UNIX too, because no decent CAD/CAM program will ever run inside of a windows environment.

30 years ago I had to take a nightschool course in ADAPT.

Nowadays, isn't there an "APT App" ?.....:D

NX still has Sequential Mill in the 5 axis package, which is basically a visual way to create ATP based tool-path. It is a legacy thing and there for the old-school guys. Like many things in NX, it is the escape valve for when you want to do something insane that the more modern 3/4/5 axis operations shit the bed on.

I am interested in learning Apt in my free time. There is not very much information on the internet for training or walk throughs. Where might I be able to download the Apt application/interface?
Digital Resources in Arkansas sold Personal APT. They had a great manual and the program was only $300, worked in demo mode if you just wanted to play. Came with generic posts that you could modify. The author's name was Bob Drewrie, he was one of the people involved in writing the full-on version. Personal APT is a subset of full APT but works exactly the same, just doesn't have some features, like surfacing.

If you can't find the old files floating around the internet, I have them backed up somewere. But searching the internet is going to be faster than searching my backups. Try that first. Use Archie :D

There is also an open source version of the IBM version, but it's a translation of a translation and kind of gnu-ified. That would not be my first choice.

NX still has Sequential Mill in the 5 axis package, which is basically a visual way to create ATP based tool-path. It is a legacy thing and there for the old-school guys. Like many things in NX, it is the escape valve for when you want to do something insane that the more modern 3/4/5 axis operations shit the bed on.

Are you figuring that's the OP
s reason ?

Sure would be nice to know the "why" behind the OP's request.

Hi there, I'm Asham, how are you, I just want to ask you something if you find it suitable enough kindly answer. I've just started in a shop as cnc operator, my employer wants me to register as an apprentice, but I just want a suggestion from an experienced guy like you whether this trade is good or not, does it gave you a decent living, and how easy it is to open a small machine shop and operate it. Really appreciate if you guide me.
Thanks and Regards
Asham
Calgary

What's the purpose of learning to sharpen tool bits ? We can buy anything we want off the shelf now, in carbide ...

Pragmatically, there is no purpose in learning how to sharpen tool bits when disposable carbide tools exist.

Hypothetically, were some kind of carbide apocalypse happen then indeed, knowing how to sharpen tool bits would be useful.

There is no scenario in which cam software ceases to exist, that apt remains useful.

One might want to learn to sharpen tool bits on the dubious presupposition that it will save them money compared to buying carbide tools.

There is no scenario where apt offers cost savings when free cam exists.

I can think of exactly two reasons why someone might want to learn apt:
• Somebody has a catalogue of existing apt programs that need maintained/converted.
• Historical curiosity.

Hi there, I'm Asham, how are you, I just want to ask you something if you find it suitable enough kindly answer. I've just started in a shop as cnc operator, my employer wants me to register as an apprentice, but I just want a suggestion from an experienced guy like you whether this trade is good or not, does it gave you a decent living, and how easy it is to open a small machine shop and operate it. Really appreciate if you guide me.
Thanks and Regards
Asham
Calgary

Ice hockey didn't work out eh

I can think of exactly two reasons why someone might want to learn apt:
• Somebody has a catalogue of existing apt programs that need maintained/converted.
• Historical curiosity.

Agree that it is dead, not a useful tool or skill now and you make a good point.
But why would anyone now want to learn COBOL, APL, or FORTH?
Maybe because they make you think differently about how things are done and sometimes that brain stretching is good.
As an entry point into NC/CNC I don't think it a great place to start however it does teach a lot of concepts that flow into G-code.
Too often now I see CAD/CAM jockeys and engineers that can not read the actual code out of the post but live by the graphical interface alone.
Bob

Hms - apt

Hi everyone, I have a version of APT on floppy For anyone to run on DOS. Also full system of PC=APT with dongle. Very powerful parametric system which i was able to do things the Graphical Cad cannot do. Fortran loops / Macros, scalar variables, very useful. once it is learned. takes discipline. This was done with APT before Computer Graphics S barrel machining 08.jpg

Hi everyone, I have a version of APT on floppy For anyone to run on DOS. Also full system of PC=APT with dongle. Very powerful parametric system which i was able to do things the Graphical Cad cannot do. Fortran loops / Macros, scalar variables, very useful. once it is learned. takes discipline. This was done with APT before Computer Graphics View attachment 292939

That's really cool.

I do though have to disagree with your premise that you cannot do the same with a modern cad-cam system - most provide methods of generating toolpaths programmatically, whether it be by some kind of built in scripting language or by providing api interfaces to hook into with whatever your favourite programming language is.

That's in no way intended to diminish what you did with APT, that's some fantastic work.

Back