What's new
What's new

Inventor Cam

mikekappeler

Plastic
Hey Guys,
we are switching from Gibbs Cam to inventor Cam.
anyone using inventor cam? whats your experience

Using it here. I had the post tweaked to my liking. It works for all I've asked it to do. And no multiple files, like having to export an iges file. Everything's contained within the ipt file. I feel it's user-friendly and intuitive, for the most part. That and Fusion are very similar. If you watch fusion u-tubes, they have the same interfaces, and very similar dialogs.

Same here. Very easy to use. Easy to edit post. It is by far the best (quick simple intuitive) cam package I've ever used for basic 3axis milling. For my multi channel B-axis mill-turn however it's just not there yet.

I have ask, does your company pay for maintenance for Gibbs every year?

I ask because IVCAM is not perpetual, if you don't pay you loose access to using the software as it is now subscription based!

SolidWorks is still perpetual, so it runs forever at the version you purchased and it now has it's own CAM, but it is technically CAMWorks.
you also have other CAM that are gold partners that run inside of it too. MasterCAM, BobCAM, SolidCAM (as mentioned) plus some that are not gold anymore cause competitors bought them aka HSMWorks which IVCAM and Fusion360 CAM is based on, but you have to by Fusion 360 to get it as it is a free entitlement.

something to think about

also most if not all CAM software's take native SW files

I like inventor but fusion 360 seems to be a bit quicker for me. The subscription model hasn't given us any problems.

Hey Guys,
we are switching from Gibbs Cam to inventor Cam.
anyone using inventor cam? whats your experience

Been using it for about a year for turn mill ops.
Works pretty well considering that it's relatively cheap.
For turning its really straight forward, but it lacks possibility of tweaking milling toolpaths to one's own personal liking. Doesn't appear to be prioritized in terms of further development, think all their effort goes into Fusion.

Back