What's new
What's new

Inventor CAM - C axis increments

Schjell

Aluminum
Hi,
If I design an Axial hole pattern at a given PCD my Haas ST-30Y post makes an unlogical program in my opinion.
I would expect a code that rotates the C at fixed increments and keeps the X (and Y) value constant.
What it gives me is a code that takes "random" different C axis increments combined with various X and Y values to achieve the correct hole spacing at the given PCD.

I'm a newbie, there's no G112 in my code. Are there any boxes I could tick in the post settings to get the "smarter" code generated?

The reason I care is that it would make it easier to orient the part for second side ops. Also would make sense checks of code easier.

Apologies if the above makes no sense. Been a long day. Can post code tomorrow if requested.

Many thanks!

If your Haas post is anything like my Okuma post, call XY_OFF as an action before the hole pattern. No Y axis enabled for the move means there's no choice but to do it the way you're looking for, as purely CX moves.

Not specific to Inventor CAM as I don't use that, but the logic is that it's much quicker to move XY than it is to index C and reclamp, so if it can drill even two or three holes out of your hole pattern without moving C, the cycle time will be lower.

However, if every hole has a different X, Y, and C, then you probably have a post issue or something to resolve...

Not specific to Inventor CAM as I don't use that, but the logic is that it's much quicker to move XY than it is to index C and reclamp, so if it can drill even two or three holes out of your hole pattern without moving C, the cycle time will be lower.

However, if every hole has a different X, Y, and C, then you probably have a post issue or something to resolve...

Hi Gregor!
Completely agree with your reasoning there. I agree that it is in fact "being smart" & saving machining time.
However, I would like to override it on occasions where I need to orient the part correctly for 2nd side ops, would certainly make things easier, for me anyways.

If your Haas post is anything like my Okuma post, call XY_OFF as an action before the hole pattern. No Y axis enabled for the move means there's no choice but to do it the way you're looking for, as purely CX moves.

I'll look into that! Sounds promising!

I'll look into that! Sounds promising!

I doubt this will work, however... if you go into your post (it's in javascript) and look around you'll find it. I'm fairly certain it's just a yes or a no that needs to be changed. I did this for my st20y about 4 years ago, i just dont remember exactly what i had to do.

You doubt this will work... why?

This is the pertinent snippet from my Okuma post.

function onSection() {

if (hasParameter("operation:strategy") && getParameter("operation:strategy") == "turningStockTransfer") {
return;
}
// use interpolation XY --> XC on the machine
usePolarMode = gotYAxis && (currentSection.getGlobalBoundingBox().lower.y < yAxisMinimum ||
currentSection.getGlobalBoundingBox().upper.y > yAxisMaximum) &&
(currentSection.getType() == TYPE_MILLING &&
getLiveToolingMode(currentSection) == 0) &&
(hasParameter("operation:strategy") && getParameter("operation:strategy") != "drill") &&
!currentSection.isMultiAxis();

if (hasParameter("action") && getParameter("action") == "XY_OFF") {
usePolarMode = true; // overwrite usePolarMode from manual NC

} else if (hasParameter("action") && getParameter("action") == "XY_ON") {
usePolarMode = false; // overwrite usePolarMode from manual NC

}

You doubt this will work... why?

This is the pertinent snippet from my Okuma post.

function onSection() {

if (hasParameter("operation:strategy") && getParameter("operation:strategy") == "turningStockTransfer") {
return;
}
// use interpolation XY --> XC on the machine
usePolarMode = gotYAxis && (currentSection.getGlobalBoundingBox().lower.y < yAxisMinimum ||
currentSection.getGlobalBoundingBox().upper.y > yAxisMaximum) &&
(currentSection.getType() == TYPE_MILLING &&
getLiveToolingMode(currentSection) == 0) &&
(hasParameter("operation:strategy") && getParameter("operation:strategy") != "drill") &&
!currentSection.isMultiAxis();

if (hasParameter("action") && getParameter("action") == "XY_OFF") {
usePolarMode = true; // overwrite usePolarMode from manual NC

} else if (hasParameter("action") && getParameter("action") == "XY_ON") {
usePolarMode = false; // overwrite usePolarMode from manual NC

}

Maybe it will work, like i said it's been 4 years xD.

Back