Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    Hi All:
    I got myself a refurbished Dell T7610 beast with Win 7 Pro, loaded Solidworks and HSMWorks onto it and yanked the internet umbilicus.
    No more upgrades no more shit that stops working when Microcrap does an "update", no viruses, no spy ware, no data mining, no cloud computing and NO MORE MAINTENANCE.

Keith is laughing at me; he prefers to be current on everything and doesn't mind spending time and money to do so...I'm a Luddite old fart that hates when shit just stops working and I have to fuck around with it to fix it, especially when I'm in a hurry (which is always).
    I hate it even worse when I have no frickin' idea how to fix it (which is almost always)

I don't give a crap about upgrades and having the most current version; I picked a nice stable combination I know runs smoothly and I froze the little bastard in time forevermore.

I had to upgrade my Solidworks license to a network license for an extra two grand so I could get a Home Use License to put on the CAD CAM box (which DOES live at home where I prefer to do my design work).
    The Dell box cost me $1300.00 USD.
    HSMWorks allows you to run a home copy on your single seat (I have a perpetual license) so I can program at home and dump the results into Dropbox with a thumb drive .

So this is the plan:
    I keep the Solidworks license current and download a current version onto my utility box that's still on the net whenever a new version comes out.
    I do that so I can still work fluently with customer files.
    When I'm ready to program I make a STEP file and bring that into the CADCAM box, then turn it back into a dumb Sworks file of the version I'm running on the CADCAM box (SW2015)
    I walk away from upgrading and maintaining my HSMWorks license after the end of 2018.
    I clone the hard drive now that I have it up and running nicely so I have a fallback position if my hard drive ever takes a dump.

I do all my file management on the utility box that's been cloned too, so I can go back to a decently clean version whenever the utility box starts to bloat and have a backup SW/HSM combo there too if that drive shits the bed.

My CADCAM box stays pristine.
    I transfer virus scanned files to and from the CADCAM box using a thumb drive...no network, no server; technologically right back in the stone age where I LIKE it!!

We'll see how it goes for me...I of course, expect all my computer related problems to just magically GO AWAY now.
    Will I be laughing or will Keith be laughing...I'd love to hear all opinions and don't be shy about snarky criticisms...I can take it!

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining
    This is an hilarious post! Good luck with that! I feel where you're coming from but I don't think it's going to work. Too many things can still go wrong. Besides that ... what are you going to bitch about now?!

2. Likes CBlair liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All:
    Just a quick update for those who are interested.

Well, so far so good.
    No issues, no regrets.
    No blips no farts no hiccups no swearwords no nothin'

All is working totally uneventfully and I had completely forgotten about this post until I happened to see it this morning before work.
    I'm glad, Joe Miranda, that I was able to give you and many others a good chuckle...it's been worth it even just knowing I made you laugh today.
    Besides, I scored a few "likes" over this and I got a good bit off my chest too.

Further bulletins as events warrant!

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

4. Likes Joe Miranda, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good for you. Maintenance can be a joke sometimes when you cant get any and you're paying for it.

6. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much for you to set this system up in my shop? I am too technologically ignorant to do it myself. I feel lost after DOS disappeared...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My maintenance is due in 12 days. And, I am borderline ready to tell them to pound sand.
    Good for you Marcus! LOL

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd posted before but as Marcus has said is how i ran my business for 12 years.
    All 'puters were networked to eachother (6) on a server and backed up etc.
    One stand alone PC to the interweb.
    And zero problems.
    No graphics updates blowing settings, no issues whatsoever.