What's new
What's new

JT files and CAM programming

rbest34

Plastic
Hello all,

I have a quick question that I’m researching. My company has decided a JT file is what they want to use to send out to our manufacturers to make parts for production. I have not seen a CAM program that accepts this file extension. The file extension is a Siemens NX file.

Thanks in advance.

What's your question? No one supports .jt files? Some, but doesn't seem like many?

Siemens Transportation tried to push that garbage on us and other suppliers a few years ago. It didn't last very long.

Why not step or igs files? You know, something that almost everyone can open?

My question is, is there a CAM system that could use a JT file for programming? I was pretty sure there isn’t.

That is just another fucked up Siemens idea.
"Sure, there are a few open standards out there for solid data exchange, but it ain't ours, so let's create 'nother one!"

Seriously, they try to pull the same shiit in just about every field they get their paws in.
I used to be in the medical imaging field in a previous life and of course, Siemens always wanted to be the trend setter, only to be given a universal finger from everyone else.

Anyhow, looks like Autodesk Inventor can also open a .JT file, so can FeatureCAM ( likely by way of Exchange )

But, like Sidetalker said, I'd convince your company decisionmakers to stick with something much more universal, such as STEP or Parasolid.
I would not recommend IGES ( there is a reason it's sometimes referred to as IGUESS )

Looks like with the JT files you already loose design intent anyway, so if you're just starting, might as well stay with a much more widely accepted format.

Best thing you can do is contact all your vendors and ask what they can take for import files and send them a widget JT file to see if they can read it. once you have a data base you'll know what is the best for all.

there are many CAD software's that can take native NX files and many CAM that take native NX, SolidWorks, Inventor and SolidEdge, but the standard these days is step.

Parasolids is the core of NX and is also a good export.

.step is the standard. I can't think of a software off the top of my head that can't open a .step file. That being said, I have always preferred parasolids and use them for all of my own work. I had never even heard of .JT file until right now. What is the reasoning behind wanting to send .JTs?

For some reason the engineering team thinks that this is the way things are going for file safety. I think Siemens told them a bunch of bullshit and they sucked it up. Maybe I should say the engineering IT team thinks this. None come from a manufacturing background. Which explains a lot to me.

For some reason the engineering team thinks that this is the way things are going for file safety. I think Siemens told them a bunch of bullshit and they sucked it up. Maybe I should say the engineering IT team thinks this. None come from a manufacturing background. Which explains a lot to me.

They might be right, JT files can be used to carry precise data and not just lightweight representations. A JT file with PMI and an assembly structure is very useful thing.

STEP files are my favorite means of importing/exporting files but I can see JT files growing in popularity.

Don't forget that Siemens owns the parasolid kernel which is at the heart of many cad ,& cam systems so I can imagine that the functionality is baked into a lot of software already, plus the JT file viewer is free.

I don't know what the real difference is, but from whatever I was discern from google, the primary reason for .JT is data compression.
IOW much smaller file sizes than the other CAD neutral formats for remote collaborations.
How's that possible without loosing something in a complex assembly? IDK.
What I DO know is that STEP format for assemblies of 150-200 components - so far - has always been flawless for me.
Not sure what improvements can .JT bring to the table.

Solidworks can't open JT, I tried very recently, dead end.

The only non-Siemens software that I am aware of that can do anything with JT is Autodesk's Manufacturing Data Exchange Utility, that comes bundled with higher end AD cam products (Featurecam, Powermill). I was able to use it to convert some JT files to STEP successfully.

.step is the standard. I can't think of a software off the top of my head that can't open a .step file. That being said, I have always preferred parasolids and use them for all of my own work. I had never even heard of .JT file until right now. What is the reasoning behind wanting to send .JTs?

not to hijack the thread, but what's the difference between a .step and a parasolid? Is it all in how it's converted?

not to hijack the thread, but what's the difference between a .step and a parasolid? Is it all in how it's converted?

Parasolid is the native file format of the parasolid kernel, usually binary.

Step (Standard for the Exchange of Product Data), is a text based ISO standardised format built from the ground up for interoperability and data exchange between different software.

In practice step is very reliable, but it's not infallable. For example, step files created by Creo tend to be an endless source of problems if you try and import them into anything else.

Step (Standard for the Exchange of Product Data), is a text based ISO standardised format built from the ground up for interoperability and data exchange between different software.

In practice step is very reliable, but it's not infallable. For example, step files created by Creo tend to be an endless source of problems if you try and import them into anything else.

That makes sense, thanks!

I've always wondered the exact difference in all the file types. Like what makes IGIS so unreliable? Just from experience I ended up using parasolids wherever I could because I have never had one let me down. I have had issues with .step files, though. Particularly with step files that have been through multiple conversions.

Strange as MCX has an option to import Creo datums?

edit: nevermind as MCX will directly import creo files.

I prefer parasolid .x-t files if I can't do native. Strangely, we upgraded to solidworks 2020 and I see alot of "cannot find parasolid data" when trying to open native solidworks parts file. I open them in SW then save as .x-t and they are fine.

IGES - Wikipedia

From that ^ looks like iges is a holdover from pucnhed card ascii type files (whatever that is) so I would *guess* it's just unreliable as being from a more or less different era?

Boeing standard is still .IGES or .STEP. Unfortunately I've worked with more iges files in the last 10 years then I would have liked.

Back