What's new
What's new

Looking for someone to write a custom post processor

The Dude

Hot Rolled
Looking for a company to write a customer post processor (convert DFX to CNC G-code). The company who makes the nesting software has said they "can't" (don't have the exact deatils, might be more like "won't") write the code to process their nesting files for this particular machine. I don't think it will help going into details, it's a very simple process and uses standard G-code.

If you have someone to recommend, please post or send a PM.

Much appreciated!
The Dude

Won't even the lowest cost or even free Cam systems do this?
Bob

Sure, for certain machines. BobCAD will give you "free" post processors for certain machines and so will may others. But when you have kind of unique parts and a unique machine, you definitely need a special post processor. When you are cranking through literally dozens of files each hour (it's a fast process), the last thing you want to do is edit/massage the outcome of each program. These are "dynamically nested" parts (2D parts arranged for maximum material utilization), there will likely never be two programs that are the same.

The Dude

I don't think you know what you're asking for. A post-processor works in conjunction with CAM software. It converts the pretty lines you see on the screen into code custom tailored to your specific machine and needs. So if you truly are looking for a post-processor then the first question will be "what CAM software are you using?". But your reply where you mentioned BobCAD sounds like you don't want to use commercially available CAM software. So you are looking for someone to write, not a post-processor, but a custom program to take DXF files and convert them to G-code that doesn't run in existing CAM software. Does that sound more like what you are looking for?

I don't think you know what you're asking for. A post-processor works in conjunction with CAM software. It converts the pretty lines you see on the screen into code custom tailored to your specific machine and needs. So if you truly are looking for a post-processor then the first question will be "what CAM software are you using?". But your reply where you mentioned BobCAD sounds like you don't want to use commercially available CAM software. So you are looking for someone to write, not a post-processor, but a custom program to take DXF files and convert them to G-code that doesn't run in existing CAM software. Does that sound more like what you are looking for?

I agree to some extent, but mostly that I misstated a bit. The company who writes the nesting software won't make a post-processor for this machine. Why? I'm not sure, I don't have access to that info. I've been asked to help out on something that I only have limited info and I didn't think it would be this difficult to find a solution (my bad). So, the nesting software will output a DXF file, which is currently being pulled into the CNC machine, which we then have to "massage" manually for this machine as it's post-processor isn't ideal and there is no way we can get it and modify it. So, I agree it's more like actual CAM software in functionality but it does require a custom post-processor for this rather "unique" machine which is a cheap made-in-china POS but it will get the job done (currently in production).

I probably shouldn't have mentioned BobCAD, that just created a bunny trail, but it might be an option to pull it into that if they can write the post-processor. It's just that we don't really need the CAD portion, we just want something to take the DXF and convert it fully over into the correct G-code format. It's a very simple program, again, you just don't want to have to manually manipulate it each time, many times each day.

The other option might be to post-process the output of the Chinese-made controller which would be a true post processor. Here's the Wiki definiton in case there are doubters: "A Post Processor is a unique "driver" specific to a CNC machine, robot or mechanism; some machines start at different locations or require extra movement between each operation, the Post-Processor works with the CAM software or off-line programming software to make sure the G-Code output or program is correct for a specific machine build."

So, while I might need more than that, at the core it's still what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
The Dude

So, while I might need more than that, at the core it's still what I'm looking for.

To expand on what DanB said, you need much more than a post processor. That wiki definition leaves out some important information. Typical post processors are not only for specific machines but also for specific software. Your Haas post processor for Mastercam does not work for Esprit.

What you actually need is an application that includes a post processor. You need something to interpret the dxf, create coding from that which it then outputs to the post processor which would then create the needed gcode for your machine. You're basically wanting to create your own CAM software. I would venture a guess that this may be cost prohibitive.

Can you just dump all the software and buy something with true shape nesting?
Nothing angers me more than products that you pay for that don't work.

When you buy software that has to work with a machine, put that in the contract. That lights a fire under their but to get your post working.

Look at Sheetcam, it sounds like this is what you are after. You upload the dxf file and then it spits out the g-code based on what ever post processor you choose. There are a whole list of post processors that it already has and they are also pretty easy to modify if needed. I use if for normal mill work, but I suspect it is better suited to router, laser, plasma cutting as it's real good at nesting.

It's free to trial run... see if it will work for you.

Looking for a company to write a customer post processor (convert DFX to CNC G-code). The company who makes the nesting software has said they "can't" (don't have the exact deatils, might be more like "won't") write the code to process their nesting files for this particular machine. I don't think it will help going into details, it's a very simple process and uses standard G-code.

If you have someone to recommend, please post or send a PM.

Much appreciated!
The Dude

A copy of RePost might work for you.
It will read G code or DXF in and you can write out whatever you want.
Contact Bair Technologies and ask.

Back