What's new
What's new

Looking for Technical Articles on HSM/Trochoid Toolpath Generation

TheBigLebowski

Aluminum
Does anybody have any good technical articles on the generation of hsm/trochoid style pocket toolpaths?

Currently, about 75% of the machining that I do is done with homebrew cam software. (it was painfully slow to do it this way at first, but as I've gotten everything working and added more cycles it has proved to be faster for my own purposes)

As of right now, my ability to rough out pockets is fairly limited. I am currently able to generate the old school standard offset type pockets. These cut pretty fast when you can use a big high feed mill, but prove to be painfully slow when using smaller endmills.

Simple-pocket.png

I would like to attempt to tackle some HSM style toolpath, even if only for more simple geometry. I am currently in the brainstorming stage of things, I have a few ideas on how to do it, but there may be simpler methods. So with that in mind, does anyone on here know of any in depth articles on the subject? The more "nitty-gritty" the better. If anyone had any sample programs of hsm style pocketing of simple geometry that would also be of some help (I currently use fusion 360, I'm not sure if other cam software's use different methods for HSM?).

You are reading way too much into it ....just let Fusion 360 fly with the adaptive path, most if not all the other have their version or buy it for a couple of other to get-r-done.

I have used HSMWorks and Surfcam's versions and they just work so don't worry just enjoy......

I haven't used it myself, so I'm not making a recommendation. Only that the adaptive paths look like the real deal from pictures.

I just started playing with it some today. The adaptive appears to be very flexible, working on a variety of pocket shapes, even ones with weird slots coming off of them. It uses a lot of small line segments instead of true arcs which I am not a fan of, but it should give an excellent frame of reference.

Back