What's new
What's new

Machine Simulation setups. HSMWorks/F360 - STL's for stuff. seems thin?

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Hi everyone. While I will post over in the CAM section of F360, I thought I would ask here about the aspect of adding machine STL's for use as Machine simulations? My Son and I are also trying to locate STL's for hass stuff, and they are just not out there or I don't know where to look? V/F4 and trt210, etc.. older stuff. Am hearing on sites/forums that Haas won't give them up, buy they exist. GrabCad stuff and other free places have some starting points but it's thin. I can just go solo w/ simple stuff on my own... but honetly, as much as all this CAM stuff costs, I thought it would be more mature than it currently is. Or am I think I'm missing something.

Is there a CAM package w/ turn key simulation and full library's of STL's and simulation setups... Just wondering.

Hi everyone. While I will post over in the CAM section of F360, I thought I would ask here about the aspect of adding machine STL's for use as Machine simulations? My Son and I are also trying to locate STL's for hass stuff, and they are just not out there or I don't know where to look? V/F4 and trt210, etc.. older stuff. Am hearing on sites/forums that Haas won't give them up, buy they exist. GrabCad stuff and other free places have some starting points but it's thin. I can just go solo w/ simple stuff on my own... but honetly, as much as all this CAM stuff costs, I thought it would be more mature than it currently is. Or am I think I'm missing something.

Is there a CAM package w/ turn key simulation and full library's of STL's and simulation setups... Just wondering.
many just make there own rough models. i wouldnt get carried away with tool paths and tool holders coming within 0.100" of collision
i can see them not giving away CAD models cause often they are not 100% accurate down to .0001", CAD model can easily be big or small in spots. obviously from experience dealing with big castings it is quite common for big castings to be big or small .25" in spots on castings weighing tons
i have done work on large 6 story tall printing press CAD model and found CAD model usually doesnt show parts bending from various forces. i had a alignment issue once i solved by sticking a .001" shim is a critical area to compensate for part bending.
just saying CAD models rarely 100% accurate

Attachments

• MillCalibration_.jpg
    MillCalibration_.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 177
... but honetly, as much as all this CAM stuff costs, I thought it would be more mature than it currently is. Or am I think I'm missing something.

As much as all this CAM stuff costs??? Exactly how much did you pay for Fusion? $0.00?

Sure, there are lots of CAM packages that do machine sim out of the box, with all the stl files you would need. If you think Fusion costs a lot then you don't want to even look at a quote for software that would be capable of machine sim.

As much as all this CAM stuff costs??? Exactly how much did you pay for Fusion? $0.00?

Sure, there are lots of CAM packages that do machine sim out of the box, with all the stl files you would need. If you think Fusion costs a lot then you don't want to even look at a quote for software that would be capable of machine sim.

e.g., Esprit

Honestly outside of immediate fixtures: 5 axis vice, raptor fixture, tool holders etc I don’t really care what else is happening outside the immediate vicinity of the part and tool. Add to it the unnecessary extra collision checking and other calculations and it all becomes a big waste of time outside of some specific simultaneous 5 axis situations.

All the time you’ll lose screwing around in the computer is going to come out of your bottom line because until the part is on the table it’s just a pretty picture.

Honestly outside of immediate fixtures: 5 axis vice, raptor fixture, tool holders etc I don’t really care what else is happening outside the immediate vicinity of the part and tool. Add to it the unnecessary extra collision checking and other calculations and it all becomes a big waste of time outside of some specific simultaneous 5 axis situations.

All the time you’ll lose screwing around in the computer is going to come out of your bottom line because until the part is on the table it’s just a pretty picture.

If you have a complex program that runs for 30+hrs you are going to spend the extra 1-2hrs making sure the program is 100% before you push cycle start. 100% full machine sim without question.
Sure, running a 2.5D part with a 6 min cycle time...a quick backplot is all that is needed.

... So complex 5 axis axis work then as I mentioned. There’s plenty of example of long cycle time program that don’t require full collision simulation. If you want to get technical those long cycle time parts are probably running vericut or other dedicated simulation software.

HAAS now has the 3D models for download on their site, just go to the machine you want and look for the link.

Attachments

• HAAS machine 3d models.jpg
    HAAS machine 3d models.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 169

Back