Image 1

button_female_q2.JPG
Image 2

button_female_q3.JPG
Image 3

cutter_q4.JPG
Image 4

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner at SolidWorks CAM and I am encountering some trouble machining the slot inside of that button part. As you can see in image 1, I already have most of the part figured out except for that blue area. I have tried defining the feature as a pocket and when I attempt to do a contour operation it only trims off the top and goes around. When I try defining the feature as a slot, it doesn't create a path for a contour operation. I am using a 2.5 axis mill to make this part. Dimensions can be seen in images 2 and 3. It's a 0.25" x 0.63" x 0.81" slot. I should also add that I am using a keycutter with the dimensions specified in image 4.

I would do it as an open profile. Select the two bottom edges and the bottom inside radius(so 3 segments). Do not select the od segment.

If you wanted to do a cam supported roughing op, make it as a corner slot with the od edge as an open air segment. This should give you a rough and a contour toolpath.

draw a sketch at the centerline and drive the cutter with the sketch, do not use cutter comp. I am assuming the cutter is the same dia. as the cut.

Just looked at the cutter info it's dia is .78 and you are cutting a .32 radius= .64 dia wont fit!!!

the only problem is what will SW CAM do at the end of the cut? will it try and lift out thru the part.

some time for thing like this it is just better to hand GCode the operation so you know what it will do, CAM not always the answer. Sorry.

some time for thing like this it is just better to hand GCode the operation so you know what it will do, CAM not always the answer. Sorry.

Yeah.. S'plain THAT to some of the current CAMMasters of the Universe!

With that said, in FeatureCAM that would be a sub 2 minute shenanigan.

Assuming you know how to use it, which seems to be the problem in this case not so much the tool.

And I don't think G code will make that cutter fit in that slot.

Hence my cammaster comment.
Not sure which picture to believe, but it does not look like either the shank, nor the business end would fit.

Back