What's new
What's new

MadCAM in Rhino

Dan B

Hot Rolled
Anyone using this program with Rhino?

www.madcamcnc.com

I have been looking for a low cost CAM software for the times that WorkNC is overkill, and this seems to be the ticket. It is a very capable, and easy to use program. Unlike Mecsoft's RhinoCam, it doesn't take up a lot of graphical real estate. In fact, the UI is just a toolbar. Post processors are easy to configure, and support is great.

Sure seems like a lot of "bang for the buck".

Anyone using it and feel like discussing it?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, haven't seen you here in a while. Hope all is well (busy);)

The price sure looks good. have you played with a download version yet?
Are you just using it for 2.5 or a lot of 3d work?

Hi Smallshop,

I've been working with it for a while, but more as an R&D project. I am looking for something that will take the workload off of our 2 seats of WorkNC, and preferably something that will run right in Rhino. I intend to use it for simpler details, but still involving 3+2 axis. I don't expect it to have all the features of WorkNC (or any other high end system) but enough to get the job done. So far, MadCam seems to fit the bill. I'm still ironing out the 5 axis post, but the 3-axis posts for our Fadals and Haas machines were very simple to set up.

Dan

Here is a follow-up almost a year later.

We have fully implemented MadCam in engineering, and left WorkNC for the machine operators. I originally looked at MadCam as a simple CAM program but at this point in time, I realize it is much more capable than I originally anticipated. The V4.2 beta has many advanced features, including lightening-fast processing. We have found a reduction in the time it takes to go from the original model to producing G-code, in large part due to the fact that we produce our paths right in Rhino.

We are doing positional 5-axis (3+2axis) in MadCam everyday with great results.

I've seen a preview of the simultaneous 4-axis programming, and full simultaneous 5-axis will be right around the corner.

Think about that for a moment. Full simultaneous 5-axis programming directly in Rhino for under $2K!!

For Rhino users who need machine their models, it's worth downloading and trying the evaluation version.

Dan

Dan,

Thank you for letting us know how it is working for you. While I was impressed with the power of Rhino I felt the operation of it seemed a little cluncky and some of the operations took quite a lot of steps when creating models. Of course I only used the demo version and I dont do mold work so I tend to stick to SW instead. Glad to hear that the cam software seems to be working out.

Charles

Hello, I'm a production engineer student who wants to learn MADCAM. I've been using GibbsCAM for a while and it was a powerful program in mechanical industry, but I can't mill propperly Jewelry models in 5 axis (which are in my interests), so I'd be glad if someone could help me to start working with MADCAM, as I've seen it can mill jewelry models (detailed rings) in 5 axis. Some tutorials, instructions or whatever else would be helpful. Thanks. My email: [email protected]

Back