What's new
What's new

Making an HSM Post for tool length probing routine

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey folks,

I'm looking to cut off a step in my workflow. My tool probing macro uses the temporary tool length to limit the travel so the tip absolutely positively won't break the tool setter probe tip. I figure if I'm already putting all the holder and tool dimensions into HSM (Inventor CAM), why can't I make a simple post that will create a probing macro based on already measured dimensions? End result would look like this:

O1001

T(First tool) M06

G9010 S01 H**(Tool) B***(Temporary tool length) D**(Radius) M0;

T(next tool) M06

(repeat for each tool)

M30

%

Sifting through the dump file, it looks like I'd have to add tool.bodyLength with a whole bunch of tool.holder[**] H=***. That alone makes what looks like a simple post become something demonic. I was thinking this would be a great project for a novice at post editing such as myself, but it seems to be quite a bit above my experience level. Just looking for some healthy pointers if anyone has any. Worst case, I keep on hand jamming my offset routines.

The gage length of the tool can be calculated from:

Code:
tool.bodyLength + tool.holderLength

Also, the Haas post has this logic built in already. The post property "optionallyMeasureToolsAtStart" will insert the renishaw cycles at the beginning of the program for setting the offsets all of the tools used. That code can be adapted for other machines and probe systems.

Code:
%
O01001 (Sample Program)
(T1 D=2. CR=0.06 - ZMIN=-0.01 - face mill)
(T2 D=0.5 CR=0. - ZMIN=-1.135 - flat end mill)
(T5 D=0.25 CR=0. TAPER=90deg - ZMIN=-0.75 - spot drill)

/ N10 M0 (Read note)
(With BLOCK DELETE turned off each tool will cycle through)
(the spindle to verify that the correct tool is in the tool magazine)
(and to automatically measure it)
(Once the tools are verified turn BLOCK DELETE on to skip verification)
(T1 D=2. CR=0.06 - face mill)
/ N15 G65 P9023 A23. T1 H3.499 D2.
(T2 D=0.5 CR=0. - flat end mill)
/ N20 G65 P9023 A23. T2 H3.874 D0.5
(T5 D=0.25 CR=0. TAPER=90deg - spot drill)
/ N25 G65 P9023 A12. T5

N30 G90 G94 G17
N35 G20
N40 G53 G0 Z0.

***REST OF PROGRAM***

Back