What's new
What's new

mastercam 2018 extrude-cut error

draganm

Aluminum
Usually the extrude feature works ok, sometimes you have to fight the toggles as it defaults to " create body" and "thin wall" (under advanced), but after that it will typically cut a solid fairly well. On this one I'm getting this weird Boolean error. It cut the left wide of the circle fine, right side i get this . Changing the cut distance does not remove error
any help appreciated

Attachments

• Boolean operation error.JPG
    Boolean operation error.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 259
If the straight line across the center of your semicircle is exactly at the edge of what's already cut it could be having a rounding error resulting in trying to make an infinitesimally thin wall. Try extending your profile a bit so that it overlaps.

thanks, I will try that next time.
After much struggle, this time i wound up extrude-cutting each line separately and then just using " thin wall" to remove the material in between. What a PITA

The first error, disjoint body, means it is trying to make something that would result in something 'not possible' as in a body that is not connected. Not sure about 2018, but usually you could modify the extrude profile to fix it by extending outside the body, or inside the body, like what mhajicek said. The second error, non manifold body is really similar to the first *I think*. Both should be solved by changing your extrude profile slightly, and/or making it into two seperate functions....

thanks
really an odd error, it's my solid, if i want to cut it in half or make it "non-manifold", then why the "nanny-CAD" ? : )

in another thread someone said Mastercam 2020 is out.
Anyone try it, less buggy?

I really don't want to fall behind again, too hard to catch up :(

thanks
really an odd error, it's my solid, if i want to cut it in half or make it "non-manifold", then why the "nanny-CAD" ? : )

in another thread someone said Mastercam 2020 is out.
Anyone try it, less buggy?

I really don't want to fall behind again, too hard to catch up :(

Well it is similar (at least in my mind) to trying to make a fillet that is too big, or offset to one side-partial (like using a corner round but not going full depth if that makes sense), so you get the same type of error, boolean failed, internal kernal error, etc. *We* know we can make it using a tool, but the software cannot "figure it out" for whatever reason. :crazy:

I get the same error in gibbscam when trying to subtract bodies occasionally, you just have to work around it.

Back