What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2019 issues

BRIAN.T

Cast Iron
Anyone else having issues with mastercam 2019? There are bugs all over the place. Most specifically optirough doesn't seem to recognize stock. If nobody else seems to be having issues then I can share some files and maybe we can see what I'm doing wrong, maybe some switch somewhere I saved to my defaults I've forgotten about.

Mine picks up stock well however its crashing alot. I think it is related to native solidworks files being used but still early to say for sure.

I've been wanting to update from X9, but these issues are exactly why I keep putting it off.

I got an email saying update 2 is out. Are you running the original release or update 2?

I've been wanting to update from X9, but these issues are exactly why I keep putting it off.

I got an email saying update 2 is out. Are you running the original release or update 2?

Yeah I'm in update 2, I was hoping it was going to fix some issues. It didn't seem to fix much of anything if im being honest. I don't think I'm going to upgrade right away anymore. I'll stay 6 months behind.

Anyone else having issues with mastercam 2019? There are bugs all over the place. Most specifically optirough doesn't seem to recognize stock. If nobody else seems to be having issues then I can share some files and maybe we can see what I'm doing wrong, maybe some switch somewhere I saved to my defaults I've forgotten about.

There was an update on the 10th that addressed a lot of the issues.
Are you on the official forum?

Unless you are drilling a single hole almost EVERYONE has major issues with 2019. There are some nice, new features but unfortunately there are some very big problems so users need to weigh bad versus good and decide if they should stay with 2017/2018 until 2019 is fixed or take the leap. Our MC 2109 users are cussing every day about major bugs and issues and, worst of all, the dealers and CNC Software are telling us the big problems will be addressed with the next major version release.

Wait; what?!? Holy sh!t CNC Software, get your act together. Owners are paying good money for your product so listen up if you don't want bad press from your user base. Just saying.

the dealers and CNC Software are telling us the big problems will be addressed with the next major version release.

Wait; what?!? Holy sh!t CNC Software, get your act together. Owners are paying good money for your product so listen up if you don't want bad press from your user base. Just saying.

What "big problems" are you referring to?

What "big problems" are you referring to?

Crashing.
Fields changing values.
Max Z depths in docs are sometimes incorrect.
Some operations are taking a lot longer to process.

The latter is compared mostly to 2017. Some users migrated from 2017 and some from 2018.

Crashing.
Fields changing values.
Max Z depths in docs are sometimes incorrect.
Some operations are taking a lot longer to process.

The latter is compared mostly to 2017. Some users migrated from 2017 and some from 2018.

What fields are changing values?
And as for Z depths in the setup sheet not posting correctly, I've never had an issue, and I use them daily.
I wonder what you're doing differently. I'm using X+

What fields are changing values?
And as for Z depths in the setup sheet not posting correctly, I've never had an issue, and I use them daily.
I wonder what you're doing differently. I'm using X+

I couldn't tell you but all of our MC users are very experienced. I know they leverage dealer support quite a bit as well as the main MC forum. The have worked around some issues but others still persist. Thanks for inquiring and I'll let them know they can post questions here too.

I couldn't tell you but all of our MC users are very experienced. I know they leverage dealer support quite a bit as well as the main MC forum. The have worked around some issues but others still persist. Thanks for inquiring and I'll let them know they can post questions here too.

It would be a hell of a lot more useful if you could actually describe the problem with a software before you come onto a forum and shit talk about it. For all we know you could be running Windows 95 on a 486 computer and you're here blaming Mastercam.

Its like bitching about your Haas mill not leaving a good finish but forgetting to mention that your operator didn't bolt the vise down.

It would be a hell of a lot more useful if you could actually describe the problem with a software before you come onto a forum and shit talk about it. For all we know you could be running Windows 95 on a 486 computer and you're here blaming Mastercam.

Its like bitching about your Haas mill not leaving a good finish but forgetting to mention that your operator didn't bolt the vise down.

:rolleyes5:
No not at all. I was replying to the OP confirming that 2019 is a bug-ridden release; as are many MC releases and that's common knowledge. I merely stated that our programmers know what they're doing and wasn't asking for help. I'm fairly sure when a MC dealer or cnc software says something along lines of "yeah, that's a known issue and will be fixed in 2019..." that we all pretty much have to live with it but for other issues we haven't figured out yet we can certainly look at them. Please don't get defensive about what you don't know about me. Also, another thing that I see happen a lot is various software companies might tell users about their road map for fixes but it's common for fixes to arrive early. That way they cover their end and publish another round of failed deliveries and/or disappointments.

Back to the OP...

@BRIAN.T
I'll ask about optirough stock. We are seeing some stock model issues we didn't have in 2017.

Our guys are still seeing the rare problem of roughing operations helixing into tool small areas and we verified it has ignored the tool percentage to keep out of those areas. Doesn't happen a lot but verification doesn't show it.

To be fair there may be some part model issues in some cases so we're keeping a close eye on everything and having regular meetings to share info on issues and best practices.

Any other big issues you're having?

I completely agree with you about waiting on upgrades. On NX we used to wait for the big maintenance releases before upgrading because they had a lot of fixes. Now Siemens has gone to "agile releases" for the major cad/cam/cae enhancements in the maintenance releases so they can enhance everything continually. The down side is now we are never sure an issue-free release. We can always keep multiple versions but it's a pain so thank god I'm currently on a good release. ;)

NX 12.0.2

Update...
Our MC guys are still having a lot issues even after the update. Posting large, 3D programs takes a very long time, docs are sometimes taking long time too. Both are way longer than in 2017 and sometimes max Z in docs is incorrect. Occasional crashes are still occurring although not nearly as bad as before the update. We've checked with colleagues at other sites, they are all seeing the same behavior and now a number of our guys, and at our colleagues, are thinking of jumping back to 2017. Jeez, at this point we're starting to joke about the situation being a "Mastercam Tax" and are considering migrating some MC guys to unused NX licenses. Every time I think about how horrible new MC releases are, I have to wonder what in the heck CNC Software is spending all their cash on. It certainly isn't their testing department.

NX 12.0.2

Update...
Our MC guys are still having a lot issues even after the update. Posting large, 3D programs takes a very long time, docs are sometimes taking long time too. Both are way longer than in 2017 and sometimes max Z in docs is incorrect. Occasional crashes are still occurring although not nearly as bad as before the update. We've checked with colleagues at other sites, they are all seeing the same behavior and now a number of our guys, and at our colleagues, are thinking of jumping back to 2017. Jeez, at this point we're starting to joke about the situation being a "Mastercam Tax" and are considering migrating some MC guys to unused NX licenses. Every time I think about how horrible new MC releases are, I have to wonder what in the heck CNC Software is spending all their cash on. It certainly isn't their testing department.

NX 12.0.2

What is your resellers response? I'm very surprised they would be content with not intervening if you are not having success.

What is your resellers response? I'm very surprised they would be content with not intervening if you are not having success.

Typically one of the following responses but don't get me wrong, I really like our VAR and they feel our pain; they really do. All of their people are very experienced in manufacturing and are knowledgeable about all the software product they sell. They are not content with the constant myriad of serious problems and they always try to help us when they can but sometimes there just isn't a solution to the problem. They do speak with CNC Software about improvements but in the end it is up to CNC Software how they want to run their business.

"It's a known problem."
"CNC Software is aware of it."
"CNC Software says it might be addressed in the next update."
"CNC Software says it is fixed in the next version."
"We don't know of a solution for that problem but perhaps the forum can
offer a solution or work around which we haven't thought of."

Typically one of the following responses but don't get me wrong, I really like our VAR and they feel our pain; they really do. All of their people are very experienced in manufacturing and are knowledgeable about all the software product they sell. They are not content with the constant myriad of serious problems and they always try to help us when they can but sometimes there just isn't a solution to the problem. They do speak with CNC Software about improvements but in the end it is up to CNC Software how they want to run their business.

"It's a known problem."
"CNC Software is aware of it."
"CNC Software says it might be addressed in the next update."
"CNC Software says it is fixed in the next version."
"We don't know of a solution for that problem but perhaps the forum can
offer a solution or work around which we haven't thought of."

I have dabbled in the 2020 beta and some of the issues I had in 2019 have been resolved....so perhaps they are being truthful when saying a fix is coming in the next update to 2019....not that this helps you much now.
I sing the praise of mcam often, and sometimes I don't. The ability to push out hot fixes is one area I'm not impressed with mcam. Esprit would do this in the past when big snags were found but an actual update was too far off. Reverting to old versions is a shit solution especially if you've spent a day programming a file that can't be brought back into an older version.

Unless you are drilling a single hole almost EVERYONE has major issues with 2019. There are some nice, new features but unfortunately there are some very big problems so users need to weigh bad versus good and decide if they should stay with 2017/2018 until 2019 is fixed or take the leap. Our MC 2109 users are cussing every day about major bugs and issues and, worst of all, the dealers and CNC Software are telling us the big problems will be addressed with the next major version release.

Been using MC since the late nineties and this has always been the case. My general rule is to wait at least one full version before upgrading. Thanks for the heads up BTW.

Been using MC since the late nineties and this has always been the case. My general rule is to wait at least one full version before upgrading. Thanks for the heads up BTW.

You're welcome. BTW our MC programmers are still experiencing occasional crashes after update-2. They are typically doing 3D 3-4 axis work, using stock models and doing a lot of verification. Some posting and docs are still taking a looong time. No solutions from our dealer or CNC Software so far so save often! I had an occasional crash in NX recently but tracked it down to a new, rarely used option so I avoid it. It's nice to have work arounds but when there are none you have to make the decision if staying on a problematic release has enough value to keep using or to use a stable, proven version such as 2017. We skipped 2018. ;)

NX 12.0.2
Production releases and EAP's

Reverting to old versions is a shit solution especially if you've spent a day programming a file that can't be brought back into an older version.

Yes, if you have to post-process customer files sent to you in a newer version you're stuck. However, if you just use Mcam internally to post your own designs you can stick with one version—preferably old enough that you actually own a hasp. Reading these agony-inducing complaints reinforces my decision to do just that.

I think that’s is not fair because every update it takes time to fix it all. I understand you and all of us want it solved and no more problems. Not likely at all.

All these programmers have already sought solutions and this is not the first place they have checked. MC is the first place to check and most all have tried that and in face of little solution these compare notes and get together. This strengthens MC due to feedback, it helps competitors to MC which is fully legal so called anti Monopoly in a way because MC has for years been a good standard. I am sure they will fix everything. It is normal to have bugs in new software yet in our business such cost big money and even people’s jobs.

Back