What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2020 known bugs C/Y axis face milling arc code output issues?

Green0

Aluminum
I just got some support from Postability and they resolved my post C index errors and polarity of posted code issues, but then in checking the work, I found this motion issue, which I don't believe to be a postability issue, because I also have seen this kind of stupid arc motion in my mill turn code. Mastercam makes the mill turn sim so odds are this is a Mastercam 2020 issue.

Does anyone know about this issue? I'd like to get my sims and posts right, and do more work for my company and less work trying to figure out how to get Mastercam to work correctly.

I've worked with the turning team at Mastercam a little bit. They have been aware of most of my issues. It seems like they don't really care if the CY subspindle or mill turn products work or not.

My lathe issue
Face milling bug on sub side .jpg
Face milling bug on sub side in mastercam .jpg
My mill turn issue
Mastercam 2D in cimco 1.jpg
Mastercam backplot.JPG

BTW I've pursued the answer to planes in subspindle machines for 3.5 years. If my lathe post is now correct, then these plane combos are probably correct.

Main spindle plane combos for mill ops

MAIN SPINDLE MILL PLANES .jpg

Sub spindle plane combos for mill ops

Sub Spindle planes.jpg

Green - you'll have better support for this issue if you can post it on the eMastercam forum.

I was able to talk to Chris from Postability and deduce from talking to him that dividing X by 2 for fanuc milling backplotting of the Mill turn milling op, I was able to derive a correct view of backplot. So then I realized that my Mill turn upper right face was flipping G02's and G03's. So I know what is wrong with the sim in my experience (maybe not everything wrong with it, but what will solve this problem). That of course doesn't equip me to solve it because I'm not CNC software.
Untitled.jpg

We ran the code and it ran like it backplotted like it ran. When I divide X by 2, to correct for diameter mode, and then use simple math to replace G03 with G03.1, then G02 with G03, then G03.1 to G02, I get this correct path. I wish I'd have known that on the day I had the issue so I didn't have to run 1200 parts with the rough path above, and a hand coded 2D contour equivalent for finish, but I didn't know this work around then. The workaround shouldn't be needed in mill turn.

Corrected code.JPG

It seemed like CNC software was looking into this as indicated by their team on Emastercam.com but the post over there just evaporated. It's gone. I don't have a mill turn sim mod turned around from them, so I don't know if that means anything about the handling of the ticket.

I also had a post on CNC zone and it also evaporated. I was hoping to get resolution and post something favorable and resolve the thread with information about where I got support so that someone else having the same issues can search this and find a path to a problem resolution. A lot of this time it's felt like mastercam wants to do anything but service a support ticket. I've had some of their specific people basically insult me in multiple interactions when they are the people who literally are in the group who handle the category product I'm having issues with, and I've just been attempting to get some basic solutions to simple issues I have.

This situation was contributed to by the reseller having 6 weeks before any of this started to support my ticket until I learned the guy handling the ticket had quit and it appeared my ticket was just gone and nothing was ever going to happen to support the ticket despite the fact that I pay $5,000+ per year to have software maintenance.

In that year I'm going to have 2-3 tickets like this, and that's a lot of money per ticket for the service quality just not being there.

I'd been following the post for continuity sake. I'm really curious why it got wiped. I don't understand the lack of support on this one. What are they telling you, to get some training?

I'd been following the post for continuity sake. I'm really curious why it got wiped. I don't understand the lack of support on this one. What are they telling you, to get some training?

One of the guys made a comment about training just kind of face saving for the reseller to make me look stupid, and I'm not saying I'm excellent but I'm somewhere in the vicinity of average in the software at this point. I think for continuity sake they want me to go back to a reseller for support. I believe they probably have a mill turn edit at this point concluded, but I'm not getting it for political reasons and that doesn't totally make sense to me either, but it's their support at the end of the day, so it is whatever they want it to be.

A few years ago I needed about 12 posts totally reworked. I emailed my reseller probably a dozen times over the course of 3 months...never got so much as a reply. Eventually I went straight to CNC software. Based on what transpired next I'm guessing they gave the reseller an earful about my bitching about lack of support.

Mastercam never did anything about the posts and the reseller was also pissed off at me (mid to upper west side of MI is very small town throughout, so things get heard and told).

Long story short, I'm pretty handy with Mastercam post processors now.

Am I understanding it correctly that it's flipping the G02 and G03's only on milling ops on the sub spindle side?

Am I understanding it correctly that it's flipping the G02 and G03's only on milling ops on the sub spindle side?

Correct in the upper right combo. (Initially I reported it with toolpath images and a zip to go as bad code, but I didn't know it was simply flipping G02s and 3's until I figured out how to use Cimco to accurately backplot it when it seemed like it might help resolution speed) I imagine it's about a 5 minute edit, but it's been 7-8 weeks now since intial reseller contact, and I was trying to get contact with someone who will do it for us, and I understand they don't have telepathy so they can't read my mind, so I've been trying to find contact with them after the guy handling this at my reseller quit the reseller and told me he was gone on Facebook. It would be great to have a list of the correct contacts for various problems as a Mastercam Customer, that would help me get the communication to the right people without sending smoke signals.

And it posts that way on both sub spindle ops?

Upper right Y axis Face milling only. I don't believe this problem is applicable to lower right which is C axis only because the TT1800SY has no lower Y axis. Doosan does have a sexy new twin that features double Y axis though- our pair of TT1800SY's are upper only.

If you want to balance a cutting strategy you need all your combos available because you're going to cross several times to take advantage of Y axis capabilities where you need them, and the more rigid 2 axis lower turret on your finish OD's and ID's and stuff if you want quality and process stability of dimensions.

Lose upper right Y axis face, that could be a 45 second hit on a 4 minute run time.

I'm still puzzling over what you've posted. I don't play in the mill-turn world but what you have seems pretty straight forward.

In your second post, the second screenshot for the sub spindle planes - look at the lower. In your WCS you're milling radially and in your tool and construction planes you're milling axially. Is there anything to that, or did you just mess up the screen dumps?

I'm still puzzling over what you've posted. I don't play in the mill-turn world but what you have seems pretty straight forward.

In your second post, the second screenshot for the sub spindle planes - look at the lower. In your WCS you're milling radially and in your tool and construction planes you're milling axially. Is there anything to that, or did you just mess up the screen dumps?

The subspindle planes WCS is a copy of Top which is located on the transferred part face on the subspindle, and which essentially drives the G55 second side Z0.0 face output and tells Mastercam where the part zero (X0.0, Y0.0, Z0.0) is relative to the geometry. The second plane (both T&C) is essentially telling the software a tool vector- AKA the tool is coming from a point Z- of the sub side part face, and in Postability posts the X points away from the geometry you want the software to roll to the back of the cabinet prior to machining. In this case, it's pointing exactly opposite the back, so it's saying "Output C0.0" in Postability relationship which is where the operation already is in the CAM space, so it's not rolling the C prior to that cut. The plane is pretty close to left, differing in that in Millturn sims or at least mine, the X has to point toward the roll, not 180 away. So in millturn, the correct plane for C0. on the sub would actually be a copy of left, on the subspindle part face.

In my mill turn sim I might be wrong but I don't think I can edit a plane being used by an operation. I think they are locked and automatically output. I believe I can edit the plane that was created (like spin about an axis if it was not correctly output) but I can't create a new plane in millturn and drive the operation with that instead to the best of my knowledge.

There may be posts that use 3 different planes to control an operation, but I don't have any of those, I am only aware of combos that use one for WCS, and another for T&C, or for an example of an exception, 3 axis milling, all 3 are Top I believe, so there is no "plane combo".

In a 5 axis machine, you have a "top" which is WCS on the part in (at least the Hurco version) Dynamic work offset or on the center of rotation if you're not using DWO, and then a T&C combo which is a copy of top at the same point which is manipulated to reference the XYZ into the relationship that looks like Top from above in the orientation of the view the tool would have after the tilt and roll you are hoping to output and cut from.

I was hoping for a mill turn sim edit so I could have resolution but the guys who claimed they were helping have e-mailed but have not e-mailed a sim edit so I'm still in the same position I've been in since late September, trying to get an edit.

I finally got an edit, initially arcs flipped without compensation, and we tested that, got the comp flipped, it now will run an upper right face in y-axis properly. We ran the original code and it worked.

Pretty cool to have that work, it's key to some time savings and the only known vulnerability of the sim.

Back