What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2022 Released

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
My post is very straightforward for once!

Mastercam 2022 has been officially released. I am pretty comfortable in saying this is the most substantial Mastercam release since Mastercam 2017 came out and changed the entire interface. For an analogy, the past few releases have felt like iOS updates (14.2.2, 14.4.1 etc) whereas this release feels like a whole OS update (iOS 15).

Some of the new features are killer. 5-axis Unified toolpath is a big big change. Additionally, Mill Basic customers will now have access to OptiRough which is nice. Mesh tools have been added to actually utilize STL files and create usable geometry from it. There are honestly so many good improvements I can't even list out. Many things have been added to reduce clicks - things like automatic regen dirty ops (finally).

Theyve put out quite an extensive breakdown here:
What's New in Mastercam 2022

ShopWare Webinar
Mastercam 2022 Preview Webinar - YouTube

Edit: Oh yea, the Home Learning Edition now offers access to Blade Expert, Port Expert, and Productivity +
Super happy bout that.

For facing you got S+F separate for rough and finish. For the rest wait for 2035 release

Can the standard TOP FRONT etc plane names be edited yet - or even appended?
Has the facing toolpath got a separate S+F box for the finish cut, so you can rough fast and finish slower?
Can levels be locked yet - so you don't accidentally move or delete geo?
Have the keyboard commands been enhanced to allow 2 or 3 keys for the names (so Circle can be CI instead of "C" for instance)?
Has the OPs manager got more stable for when you're handling 200ish operations?
Not knocking - just wondering

dunno dunno dunno dunno dunno.

I actually have no idea on most of those...I believe that the levels manager can have locked levels now but I could be wrong. I know you can lock planes and you can make levels associated with planes so perhaps they would lock. Doubtful?

Standard planes can't be edited whatsoever, I doubt that will ever be a thing. Transform your part where you need it and build new planes off that location is about the best I can do.

Keyboard commands, not sure what youre asking with that but I dunno. I haven't done much with hotkeys besides macros for my 2 mice.

OPS manager...good luck with that one!

It is shocking that they don't have SF boxes for finish passes on facing. Yes you can create a double operation but that is stupid. They have had it for contour forever.
multipasses.jpg

What do you mean by the line in bold?

Basically you create a dummy file, and set it up how you like. Meaning you create planes and viewsheets to your liking. Then save it.... call it "whatever".
Now just open that file and use the Merge feature or drag n drop a file into Mastercam and use the save as to rename it.
It's really handy for a family of parts. I use a few of these self made templates for different machines, like my 4axis, or my 5 axis etc...

Long story short, if you find yourself doing things over and over and over every time you open a new file, make a template file that already has those things done, you'll save a lot of time and aggravation.

I downloaded 2022. Is there a way to do a stand alone install like before? When I went to install it wanted me to close MCAM so I assumed it was going to overwrite it...?

I downloaded 2022. Is there a way to do a stand alone install like before? When I went to install it wanted me to close MCAM so I assumed it was going to overwrite it...?

Did you have the 2022 beta open?
I typically close Mastercam when installing a new version, just in case something acts wonky on the install.

But as far as I know, the install is the same as previous versions. The only difference being that the HLE version is "included" with the install. And you need to request a license code to activate the HLE.
Apparently that code system isn't up and running yet.

just spent 2 days back with masterblow, how nice to remember just how much i fucking hate this thing, about as much as any other cam system that doesnt have parametric modeling/sketching/dimensioning.
what a pain in the dick.

Long story short, if you find yourself doing things over and over and over every time you open a new file, make a template file that already has those things done, you'll save a lot of time and aggravation.

Years ago when I realized I could copy/past features in FCAM, it was like the heavens opened up and shone their glorious lights on me!

any other cam system that doesnt have parametric modeling/sketching/dimensioning.
what a pain in the dick.

Honestly, parametric is the absolute LAST fucking thing I want in a CAM system!!!
CAD, yes, I have seen the light, but only for solid modeling.
2D drafting, documentation, sketching and most certainly CAM, absofuckinglutely NOT!!!

Honestly, parametric is the absolute LAST fucking thing I want in a CAM system!!!
CAD, yes, I have seen the light, but only for solid modeling.
2D drafting, documentation, sketching and most certainly CAM, absofuckinglutely NOT!!!

riiight. let me just spend 20 fucking clicks modifying the size or position of a sketch entity i use either for containment or to drive a toolpath instead of 1 or 2 like in any normal cad system. ABSOLUTE FUCKING GARBAGE.

riiight. let me just spend 20 fucking clicks modifying the size or position of a sketch entity i use either for containment or to drive a toolpath instead of 1 or 2 like in any normal cad system. ABSOLUTE FUCKING GARBAGE.

Parametric is not something I see as a deal breaker for CAM. Sure it would be nice but if you know how to use the software you're only a couple extra clicks anyways. And if you're that concerned, MC4SW is included with your license so just run the addin instead.

Parametric is not something I see as a deal breaker for CAM. Sure it would be nice but if you know how to use the software you're only a couple extra clicks anyways. And if you're that concerned, MC4SW is included with your license so just run the addin instead.

yeah, NO THANKS. its fucking terrible. rather use fusion instead.

Well, that is EXACTLY THE FRIGGIN' POINT!!!
I will spend the extra 20 or so clicks if I have to, but after that it better Fucking stay where I put it and not move! Like EVER, unless I told it to!!!
There are plenty of moving targets out there, but my toolpaths better not be one of them!

Well, that is EXACTLY THE FRIGGIN' POINT!!!
I will spend the extra 20 or so clicks if I have to, but after that it better Fucking stay where I put it and not move! Like EVER, unless I told it to!!!
There are plenty of moving targets out there, but my toolpaths better not be one of them!

what the fuck are you on about? what moves by itself?

Back